The Lotus Cars Community banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
The one thing that might tip me over is if it included an oil pressure gauge. I was astonished that the Evora doesn't include some sort of oil pressure display. Engine coolant temperature would be nice too, but oil pressure is a near-requirement.
I thought the exact same thing when I first bought the 400. How can a sports car meant to be tracked not provide any kind of temp information. This was one of the factors in choosing to upgrade the head unit for me. Certain kinds allow you to display real-time data via the OBD port. This one was inexpensive and works fine. Paired with a bluetooth OBD reader and the Torque app, you can have access to more info gauges than you could ever need.
If you're interested in more info on these kind of head units, I created a thread here: Installing an Android Headunit Fixed My Amp/Sub AND Gave...

·
Registered
Shopping for an Evora...
97 Posts
Certain kinds allow you to display real-time data via the OBD port.
That's a good idea. The OBD port has CANH and CANL so it would be easy to grab them there instead of piercing the Evora's harness. There's a TON of data on the network, including engine parameters most people don't even know are available. Some of it would be kinda nerdy, but things like oil pressure and coolant temperature are fundamental operating parameters which should always be visible.

·
Registered
Shopping for an Evora...
97 Posts
Interesting, thanks!

That thread suggests the data rate is 500 Kbps. Most J1939 systems run 250 Kbps (J1939 is the standard for automotive CAN data). There is a variant for 500 Kbps but I suspect US law requires the OBD connector to be compatible with standard readers, and I've not heard that those are compatible with J1939/14 (the 500 Kbps version). I know when I did some data capture on our Toyota's ECU it was at 250 Kbps, actually that's been true on every vehicle I've ever scoped (US and foreign, land and marine engines, etc.).

If/when we get an Evora I doubt I'll be able to resist taking a look at its CAN data stream. {grin}

·
Premium Member
2018 Evora 400 Burnt Orange
41 Posts
I just got my race capture MK2 today. I’m going to try and see how well it works with the Evora. I’m pretty excited at the prospect of data logging. If I’m happy with it, I might swap to an android radio so I can use it as an in dash display.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Lotus USA posted about the AiM Digital Dash being available for Elise and Exige. And @Kageorg11 asked for one for the Evora and Lotus replied that its "coming soon". Now that would be very interesting.
View attachment 1265348

Has anyone done a digital dash in their Evora? I did see 2012 Evora Track Car, SOLD had an AiM unit mounted in front of the standard Evora display.
A Lotus approved and branded Evora digital dash is something that is being researched. Although not currently offered, once an appropriate kit meets our Lotus OEM requirements for safety, quality, performance, and value, we will be excited to offer it to our driven Lotus enthusiast community.

·
Illegal Alien
4,778 Posts
A Lotus approved and branded Evora digital dash is something that is being researched. Although not currently offered, once an appropriate kit meets our Lotus OEM requirements for safety, quality, performance, and value, we will be excited to offer it to our driven Lotus enthusiast community.
Look forward to news of this product.
Interesting, thanks!

That thread suggests the data rate is 500 Kbps. Most J1939 systems run 250 Kbps (J1939 is the standard for automotive CAN data). There is a variant for 500 Kbps but I suspect US law requires the OBD connector to be compatible with standard readers, and I've not heard that those are compatible with J1939/14 (the 500 Kbps version). I know when I did some data capture on our Toyota's ECU it was at 250 Kbps, actually that's been true on every vehicle I've ever scoped (US and foreign, land and marine engines, etc.).

If/when we get an Evora I doubt I'll be able to resist taking a look at its CAN data stream. {grin}
Lotus does not use a Toyota ECU but rather sources the hardware from EFi Technology S.A./Italy

·
Registered
Shopping for an Evora...
97 Posts
Ah... so perhaps EFi runs the bus at 500 Kbps. Of course that means everything else on the bus would have to run at that data rate too.

·
Registered
87 Posts
take my money please on this. this is my one small complaint about my interior. i feel like I am looking at an old hand held game. So hope this happens.

·
Illegal Alien
4,778 Posts
That's a good idea. The OBD port has CANH and CANL so it would be easy to grab them there instead of piercing the Evora's harness. There's a TON of data on the network, including engine parameters most people don't even know are available. Some of it would be kinda nerdy, but things like oil pressure and coolant temperature are fundamental operating parameters which should always be visible.
Lots of info is on the bus such as engine coolant and trans temps, steering angle, etc. however oil pressure is not available as the car doesn't have a sensor. What it has is a pressure switch to warn eco of low pressure. I ended adding an independent oil pan sensor and gauge, however if they go to AIM dash, the aim products allow of both digital and analog inputs beyond can bus inputs

·
Registered
22 Posts
21 - 32 of 32 Posts