The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Since I'm an engineer, words like, "small" don't mean a lot to me. I brought a tape measure to the Pittsburgh show and measured a few things. I compared the Elise to my Z4. I wanted to compare it to the Miata too, but my tape measure broke! I thought you might find this interesting. As you can see, the largest difference between the Elise and the Z4 is in the door to door width. The seats are very close together. I suspect a Miata's interior is not much larger than the Elise's. Anyone want to measure one?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Well, I'm not sure what to do with all of the dimensions but I do know the Elise is a lot more spacious than my Seven. I have driven an Elise twice and I fit OK with the top on, so I guess I can use your measurements to confirm what I already knew.
I just love it when the facts support, or when I can interpret the facts to support, my beliefs.
Oh, I think you are likely correct, the Elise interior is not smaller than a number of other sprots cars.

·
Registered
6,301 Posts
JohnnyQuest said:
As you can see, the largest difference between the Elise and the Z4 is in the door to door width.
They designed it that way so you could reach the power window switch on the passenger door:D

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
My 1990 Miata:

Steering Wheel diameter = 14.5 inches
Center steering wheel to left door = 12 inches
to right door = 40 inches
Door to door = 52 inches
Sill width = 0
Sill height above floor = 5 inches
Height left/right foot well = 10.5 inches
Width left foot well = 14 inches
Width right foot well = 15 inches
Seat width = 17 to 19.5 inches
Seat width between bolsters = 11.5 to 12 inches
Seat back = 18 inches at widest portion
Seat back between bolsters = 11.5 inches at widest portion
Floor to top edge seat = 8.5 inches
Bottom steering wheel to floor = 15 inches
Steering wheel to seat back = @21 inches from bottom of wheel straight back
Floor to top of windshield = 36 inches
Door opening to ground = 10.5 inches

Some measurements are a little subjective. And no, I'm not going back out to the garage for any more measurements.

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
You engineer types spend too much time taking measurements and not sitting in the car to see if it feels right!:D WOW!
Chris

·
Registered
431 Posts
Nice info, thanks for posting all of it! Any chance you measured the hieght of the open space between the foot wells?

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
zvezdah1 said:
You engineer types spend too much time taking measurements and not sitting in the car to see if it feels right!:D WOW!
Chris
I'm a marine biologist, not an engineer. I only measured the Miata because my wife was working late and I'm bored with waiting for my car which probably won't arrive until August (or later if Symbolic doesn't get its act together).

But Chris is right, sitting in the car is what counts. In that respect, the Elise feels much like the Miata in terms of comfort and size, at least to me.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts