The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts
R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently purchased a new 2011 Evora and noticed that there are dimples (wouldn't call them dents) behind the doors on the rear quarter panels. Is this common on our cars? Is this where the bodywork is attached?

·
Registered
7,130 Posts
Well you got me off the couch from the Olympics to check that. I don't immediately recognize such, could you maybe send a picture where you or someone is pointing to this?

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
See picture below. A bit exaggerated just based on what is in the reflection. I have the same thing on the passenger side but less noticeable.

Attachments

·
Registered
396 Posts
See picture below. A bit exaggerated just based on what is in the reflection. I have the same thing on the passenger side but less noticeable.
I have that on my passenger side, though not quite as noticeable. TADTS

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I noticed that a couple of guys in the "Dents" post seem to describe the exact same location of the "dimples" that I'm describing. One guy mentioned that he saw on both sides of all six cars that were at the dealer....interesting.

·
Registered
396 Posts
I wasn't sure if mine was a dent or a bit of character courtesy of Lotus. Oddly this thread makes me feel better that mine is indeed a mark of character.

·
Registered
5,709 Posts
TADTS. Maybe a flaw in the mold or due to sitting on the rack storage before the part has been fully cured.

Nevertheless it surprises me these glaring flaws were missed on practically every inspection... In the factory video they always show the paint inspector with white gloves running over every panel looking for the teensiest flaw. As if.

·
Registered
255 Posts
I to have this dimple. Only on the passenger side. As I understand it, it came from the factory like that. (What Squidward said)

Its not obvious enough for anyone to see it, you have to know its there...

·
Registered
7,130 Posts
Just looked closely and can't say that ours has them. Not sure how to feel about that.

·
likes to drive fast
1,127 Posts
I found a very small one near the gas cap area. 3~4mm diameter. Have to look really hard to notice.

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Has anyone addressed with the dealer? Or had this fixed under warranty?

·
Registered
143 Posts
I addressed it at the dealer and it was a deer in the headlights stare... basically they hate going to the factory for anything like that because the factory will feed them some BS that they have to pass on to the customer. i seen 3 of 8 vehicles with it on the passenger side last year at the dealership. and it looks like a dent... if the car was metal it would be...

definitely a flaw, and how Lotus can't see that at the factory is beyond me... or pre delivery inspection.... or... never mind :)

·
Registered
5,709 Posts
I addressed it at the dealer and it was a deer in the headlights stare... basically they hate going to the factory for anything like that because the factory will feed them some BS that they have to pass on to the customer. i seen 3 of 8 vehicles with it on the passenger side last year at the dealership. and it looks like a dent... if the car was metal it would be...

definitely a flaw, and how Lotus can't see that at the factory is beyond me... or pre delivery inspection.... or... never mind :)
Because it's Lotus? you know, the same guys that put my car together? Yeah, those bozos.

But in all seriousness, if they were actually reported, I can imagine the guy getting yelled at after the first report as it was out of the question correct such a problem because it was be extremely costly.. You can't just take the part off put a new one on easily... and then there's the paint matching issue. Paint varies between batches due to the uncontrollable factors. To ensure perfect match, they'd have to replace all the body panels together, which they'd never do. I've seen another Evora a couple of shades off from my own car with the exact same color code. I even parked my car next to it to compare side by side because I couldn't believe how different it looked (and not in the good way).

If anyone honestly expects Lotus to fix these dimples under warranty, good luck!

·
Disciple of Chapman
1,620 Posts
Mine has the "dimple"TADTS

I wonder if it si from the jig when the panels are clamped and glued? or possibly some kind of fastener that has been over tightened.

I guess i will just have to say "I always liked girls with dimples" Be carfull what you wish for:D

·
Registered
240 Posts
Yes, my Evora has this dimple also, but only on the passenger side. At first, I thought it was a door ding. But now I understand it is a character flaw. Thanks for the information, I will just accept it for what it is.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts