The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an '05 Elise with the sport package and its my only car. Everything's been fantastic. I find it comfortable and don't mind the noise. I feel as if I have made a fantastic choice. That is until I got to the tires. I did not do enough research and ended up with a set of Khumo ASX's. I want upgrade to Direzza Sport Z1 but don't know anything about tires, hence the Khumo ASX's. The car will be driven between Roanoke VA and Winston-Salem NC.

Does anybody have a tire size they would recommend for the Direzza Sport Z1?
Any suggestions on what I could do with the Khumo ASX's?
Any other tires and sizes you think I should consider with respect to performance and location?

I have read the different threads but still not clear on what tires I should get.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Size for Lotus I cant answer as Im sure some guys that have sampled different ones will pipe in. Not sure what your plans are for the car other than daily driving, but my recommendations for daily driver are Toyo T1Rs or Continental Contisport 3s. I have had both those and used for Auto X and really liked them, and both are great as a daily driver tire. If you are going to track the car a lot my favorite are the Toyo R888s. As far as the Direzza Sports go on the the Evo forum I know that is a very popular tire right now. I have never owned a set, but I have yet to hear anything negative. I am a big Toyo fan myself. You do have a Lotus though. Id have a hard time not putting some R888s on it. Tire life will be sub 10k though. I can get near 20k with the T1Rs or the Contisports.

·
Registered
933 Posts
I run star specs on my Elise and SLK32 AMG. IMO - best track tire for your dollar out there. Traction in heavy rain is impressive. I'm running 205s in the front and 235s in the back.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Running Z1s on the front LSS 205/50. Plenty of clearance at OE height. They are not as crisp with turn in as the AO48s but lots of grip and a softer ride to boot! They may be the most grip for the $.... Far more grip than the Aziens. Watch for defects though I have run into one that was overlooked in quality control.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I DD the Star Specs on LSS with the 205's/235s combo too. I like them so far. The stockers had next to no tread left so I do not have much to compare them to though.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Thanks

I really appreciate the input. Can any body add Sidewall Aspect Ratio's to the numbers for the rears mentioned by I Don't Fit and MightyMike.

·
Registered
890 Posts
Tires that fit

Size for Lotus I cant answer as Im sure some guys that have sampled different ones will pipe in. Not sure what your plans are for the car other than daily driving, but my recommendations for daily driver are Toyo T1Rs or Continental Contisport 3s. I have had both those and used for Auto X and really liked them, and both are great as a daily driver tire. If you are going to track the car a lot my favorite are the Toyo R888s. As far as the Direzza Sports go on the the Evo forum I know that is a very popular tire right now. I have never owned a set, but I have yet to hear anything negative. I am a big Toyo fan myself. You do have a Lotus though. Id have a hard time not putting some R888s on it. Tire life will be sub 10k though. I can get near 20k with the T1Rs or the Contisports.
You indicate "I can get near 20k with the T1Rs or the Contisports." What tire pressure do you run front & rear? Did you have any alignment adjustments?

·
Registered
52 Posts
I do have an Evo X, so not sure how it will equate alignment wise or wear wise to the Lotus.(Evo x with driver 3700 lbs) I run stock alignment since Im on stock suspension right now. The tires I run are usually 255/40/R18s or 255/35/R18. I do have run a 18/9 +22 Advan RS wheel. Other than a couple Auto Xs. The tires are pretty much babied. 20 mile round trip straight drive to work daily. I could get 25-30k on my S60R, but it was never tracked. Sorry if that doesn't answer the question.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Resoloution

I guess I will just have to learn how to drive my Elise for the next 12-18 months on these tires. But after the are worn, its on. I will be getting the Direzza Sport Z1's or the Toyo's. Just have to make sure I don't total before its time to change the tires.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I really appreciate the input. Can any body add Sidewall Aspect Ratio's to the numbers for the rears mentioned by I Don't Fit and MightyMike.

235/45ZR17 Dunlop Direzza Sport Z1 Star Spec $140.00
205/50R16 Dunlop Direzza Sport Z1 Star Spec $106.00

Prices from Tire Rack on 4-27-09 when I ordered. The total price was $492 and I got a $75 dollar amazon gift card "free" at the time too. :coolnana:

·
Registered
814 Posts
I just mounted the Direzzas in 205/50-16 and 235/45-17 on my Elise. I have only driven them about 10 miles so far so it may be too early to tell, but so far they seem like a suitable replacement to the RE-01Rs I was running previously.

·
Registered
269 Posts
have any of you guys tracked with these?

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I was told that track tires are bad for inclement weather. I do take it easy on when its wet out. Sounds as if these are good in the rain but several people I have talked to are discouraging me from them here in Southern, VA. I plan to upgrade to these eventually but I am a little apprehensive since I have never really driven on track tires for an extended period.
Any thoughts?

·
Registered
933 Posts
Elise - spirited laps at moderate speed at High Plains Raceway. No issues.

SLK32 - balls out down at Pueblo Motorsports Park; very grippy through the turns. Noticeable wear on front edges due to weight of the car.

·
Registered
443 Posts
I did an informal servey at the Mont Tremblant track weekend, and I found 5 cars mainly BMWs with Dunlop Direzza Sport Z1 Star Spec tires. All the drivers said they liked them and the price was right. They looked to be wearing very well when hot off the track. I can't vouch for grip level, that should be indicated by the wear # of the tire.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
I was told that track tires are bad for inclement weather. I do take it easy on when its wet out. Sounds as if these are good in the rain but several people I have talked to are discouraging me from them here in Southern, VA. I plan to upgrade to these eventually but I am a little apprehensive since I have never really driven on track tires for an extended period.
Any thoughts?
I have these on another car, and they've been just fine in up to moderate rain. I have yet to drive on them in a downpour, but I doubt they'd have a problem handling it.

I wouldn't plan on using them in snow though. My previous experiences with this class of tire in snow were pretty frightening.

·
Registered
460 Posts
I run the Star Specs in 15/16 combo on the track and I have been very pleased with them. I prefer to spend my money on track time rather than buying the latest and greatest R compound tires, as I think I benefit more from the added instruction and seat time than I would from a great tire. For the money, I don't think there is a tire that can beat the Star Specs. They wear very well but still have great grip. The Yoko AD07 isn't even in the same league. You'll still slide around the track more than you would with R compounds, but that's half the fun anyway. :coolnana:

·
Registered
814 Posts
Any thoughts?
I drove on these tires in a heavy downpour on the way back from the mountains last weekend. I think the Elise is inherently poor in the rain no matter what tires you have on the car, but these tires inspired some confidence. I would say they are as good or better than any of the previous 3 tires I have run on the car (AD07, Toyo T1R and RE-01R)

1 - 20 of 30 Posts