The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking over my new 2011 Evora and it seems there are a few spots where the Starshield was applied over a smudge of dirt. These spots seem to be right near the edge of the film. Was thinking a about using an x-acto knife and cutting just enough film out to remove the smudge. What do you guys think? Any other recommendations?

Attachments

·
Registered
255 Posts
Looking over my new 2011 Evora and it seems there are a few spots where the Starshield was applied over a smudge of dirt. These spots seem to be right near the edge of the film. Was thinking a about using an x-acto knife and cutting just enough film out to remove the smudge. What do you guys think? Any other recommendations?

Don't mess with it. Take it back to the dealer and have them repair/replace

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
From the picture I can see that the star shield is not touching the paint in those locations, so the dirt came *after* the application of starshield.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
From the picture I can see that the star shield is not touching the paint in those locations, so the dirt came *after* the application of starshield.
I have attempted to clean the area on the assumption that the dirt might be on top of the starshield. No luck, which makes it seem like the dirt is underneath. Maybe I should look again with a good magnifying glass.

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
I have attempted to clean the area on the assumption that the dirt might be on top of the starshield. No luck, which makes it seem like the dirt is underneath. Maybe I should look again with a good magnifying glass.
Im suprised you cant see this. The starshield is a sticker, and is sticky on the underside. They applied the starshield, and there were a few spots where the sticky part was not touching the paint, and was exposed to air because it was at the edge. You can see this in the puicture. Then swirling dirt air stuck to the underside of the starshield over time. So yes the dirt is under the starshield... but the dirt was not there during instalation.

·
Registered
5,709 Posts
That's exactly what happened, however that should not have happened if properly installed. It should be replaced under warranty, IMO. Warranty coverage includes lifting on edges. The dirt was a result of that.

·
Registered
163 Posts
had the same thing on my yellow Elise...done local...they put that shield on 3 times before I would pay for it...they had hair, dirt, stretch wrinkles...you name it could be seen on that bright color!

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Im suprised you cant see this. The starshield is a sticker, and is sticky on the underside. They applied the starshield, and there were a few spots where the sticky part was not touching the paint, and was exposed to air because it was at the edge. You can see this in the puicture. Then swirling dirt air stuck to the underside of the starshield over time. So yes the dirt is under the starshield... but the dirt was not there during instalation.
Thank you for taking the time to post again. I agree with your assessment. Here is my dilemma: The dealer is 4 hours away. There is a risk that a second application won't be as good as the original on an overall basis. That's why I was considering just using an x-acto knife to cut that area away.

·
Registered
489 Posts
If you try to clean it, it will get worst as the adhesive comes off. If it is on the edge installer usually cut it off.

·
Registered
498 Posts
UNLESS YOU ARE VERY GOOD DONT TOUCH IT WITH A BLADE. It happened to me. Called dealer they took to long so I called SS direct. They found a local shop to do the work & all was removed & replaced. Source below. Ask for Lotus rep

Customer Relations Manager
Star Shield Solutions
4315 Santa Ana St Ontario, Ca 91761
Office: 909-563-7890
Toll Free: 866-NOCHIPS
Fax: 909-390-1851
Recipient of The 2011 Toyota Quality Alliance Gold Award recognizing Supplier Excellence

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
UNLESS YOU ARE VERY GOOD DONT TOUCH IT WITH A RAZOR-BLADE. It happened to me. Called dealer they took to long so I called SS direct. They found a local shop to do the work & all was removed & replaced. Source below. Ask for Lotus rep

Star Shield Solutions
Recipient of The 2011 Toyota Quality Alliance Gold Award recognizing Supplier Excellence
This sounds like a good option for me. Thanks for the information.

·
Premium Member
6,265 Posts
Try removing it completely from hood as it doesn't do jack for you there. I have a 7 year old Elise with no Starshield on hood, ~40track days and it ALWAYS looks better than cars with Starshield. Clear polished paint v cloudy Starshield. The hood on my Evora looks MUCH better now that its removed. Let the next guy deal with it 10 years from now. I'm not saving car for the next owner!!

·
Premium Member
3,426 Posts
UNLESS YOU ARE VERY GOOD DONT TOUCH IT WITH A BLADE. It happened to me. Called dealer they took to long so I called SS direct. They found a local shop to do the work & all was removed & replaced. Source below. Ask for Lotus rep

Star Shield Solutions
Thanks for this info - I will be contacting them about my mirror as it has the same bubble with dirt under it and a couple spots up front as well.

·
Registered
5,709 Posts
The star shield would generally be installed with the car purchase so your warranty could be tied to it by the first sale date.

·
Premium Member
6,265 Posts
Folks take a walk around your car and esp if freshly waxed, look at the paint clarity, then stand over the hood and see how it is more dull, less clear etc. I kept all the bumper , side etc Starshield on as its new but without the hood piece on the car looks MUCH better.
Short of something dropping vertically on hood (what's the dif of bird dropping on hood or roof?- you wash it off either way) the hood is so horizontall, little would ever do more than graze it.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts