The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Elise is a dedicated track car. What's the best way to disable the ABS and traction control?

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
My Elise is a dedicated track car. What's the best way to disable the ABS and traction control?
Removing the ABS would be the best way, but that presumes that the car would stop better without ABS than with it?

If one is driving in the rain, then I am not sure that ABS is a bad thing(?).

Just like having AC is good when the window is fogged in the rain, unless there is some rule that race cars do not get driven in the rain?

·
Registered
4,583 Posts
Kinda like holmz said, there are times it is useful. I've got an '05 so I can't vouch for the tc calibration, but the ABS isn't bad unless you get a wheel in the air and it panics. With that being said, killing a couple wheelspeed sensors should do the trick for disabling both TC and ABS but I've not tried it. Add a switch that disables both rears and you should be set.

A lesser known trick is to disable the brake light signal to the ABS module (make sure the brake lights still work though)and this will raise the threshold to enter ABS. You'll still have the same ABS calibration, but it will just wait a little longer to kick in.

Both of these should work and leave your speedo working, but I've not tried them myself

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Ticket Magnet
1,055 Posts
Broken wire from ONE wheel sensor and ABS is disabled. Try unplugging one and see what happens.
Trade me your working part number A120M6004S , A120J6004S for mine and you will have SURPRISE ABS on and SURPRISE ABS not!
There is some value on the track with reliable traction situations. On the street, you've gotta be on top of it to outperform the ABS.

·
Registered
831 Posts
IIRC the ABS is disabled by pulling out the ABS clip switch in front of the front passenger wheel. The why's of doing that I'll leave to others.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
ABS Control Mod

Broken wire from ONE wheel sensor and ABS is disabled. Try unplugging one and see what happens.
Trade me your working part number A120M6004S , A120J6004S for mine and you will have SURPRISE ABS on and SURPRISE ABS not!
There is some value on the track with reliable traction situations. On the street, you've gotta be on top of it to outperform the ABS.
Actually that is about what I am going to do here shortly but in a more controllable way. I plan to make up my own switch that matches the Lotus traction control button but without the shiny chrome surround and no led (I don't like the chrome surrounds so I order the buttons with black surrounds and the connector bits and make my own switches) and connect it to one of the sensors. I don't want traction control but turning on and off the ABS at the console would be pretty cool. I have had that "no breaks feeling" a few times and it happens more often than I would want here on our wonderful washboard roads in my area. I survived just fine without ABS and still drive my Supra that has no ABS and like the fact that the breaking is more up to me and not some electronic gizmo that has a panic attack once in a while and gives me one in return. In the Supra I can reduce break pressure to allow the wheels to rotate and grip again if I lock them up some how but in the Lotus it sometimes won't let you do that. This way I can at least leave it on most of the time and turn it off in situations I think it might panic. I think I will call the mod "ABS Control".

·
Registered
327 Posts
The guy who sold me my car thought ABS had been disabled but I did discover the other day that it is indeed functioning. It seems to kick in earlier than I would expect though - as in it chimes in earlier than I feel like I need in the dry.

How does the braking system function on the track with ABS disabled...is it safe to operate in this manner? I prefer to modulate myself of possible. I also have an SSC PNP ECU so maybe I can just turn it off through the software?

·
Gamera The Atomic Turtle
3,349 Posts
do we get codes, cel's or other stuff if we disable abs as described above?

·
Registered
4,583 Posts
ABS light will come on, but that is a good reminder to put the wire back when you leave the track. Depending on your tires, the ABS calibration is as good as they get for production cars.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

1 - 10 of 10 Posts