The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if anyone has disabled the passenger airbag? I would like be able to maybe turn it off and on. Thanks

·
Registered
4,240 Posts
Some people have done it, search, i'm sure there is a write up.

·
Registered
4,240 Posts
I tried doing a google search and saw a couple of promising threads, sorry i'm on my phone and cant copy paste.

Its definitely doable, and some people have done it.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I persoanlly dislike airbags. Ive heard many stories of adults getting injured in minor accidents from the airbags. Seatbelts do their job. I see no purpose of an air bag. Good idea but if you have a seat belt on an air bag is pointless IMO. I persoanlly know someone that was in an accident and probably would have just got some bruises from the seatbelt but her airbag caused burns on her face. All vehicles should have on/off switches for both driver and passenger. If your in a major accident with a car as small as an elise say head on with a full size truck an air bag wont do you any good, especially since your car will more than likely be half its length. Not a pretty thought but I believe they do more harm than good.

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
I personally dislike airbags. Ive heard many stories of adults getting injured in minor accidents from the airbags. Seat belts do their job. I see no purpose of an air bag. Good idea but if you have a seat belt on an air bag is pointless IMO.
Unfortunately they are just stories (the same type of stories that everyone heard when they first started making people wear seat belts).

The thing is that seat belts save lives. Seat belts and air bags reduce the seriousness of injuries. Instead of cracked skulls, you now get a bruise on your arm. Instead of serious internal injuries (from the seat belts), you now get a bit of a burn on the arm or face. The statistics don't lie. Seat belts and air bags are about 5% more effective in saving lives than seat belts alone. But seat belts and air bags reduce the seriousness of injuries by at least half.

Additionally, modern seat belts are designed to work WITH air bags. The seat belts have a calculated amount of "give" to (relatively) slowly let you move forward into the air bag - this reduces the injuries caused by the seat belts. Turning off/removing the seat belts reduces the effectiveness of the seat belts alone as they are not designed for the operation. If you want to remove the air bags, you should probably replace the seat belts with ones that are not intended for use with air bags.

I personally am not a great fan of having the "explosive" air bag in front of me, but I've learned to live with it, because I do understand that I'm much safer with it than without it.

·
Registered
580 Posts
The thing is that seat belts save lives. Seat belts and air bags reduce the seriousness of injuries. Instead of cracked skulls, you now get a bruise on your arm. Instead of serious internal injuries (from the seat belts), you now get a bit of a burn on the arm or face. The statistics don't lie.
They may not lie, but they are based largely on "normal" cars, not Loti. A tall person in an Elise/Exige is at significantly more risk of harm with an airbag deployment than in most other types of cars.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts