The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did a search cuz I'm sure it's been asked. LT search must be less than smart cuz my computer just stared at me like I'm stupid. Anyway....

Is there a way to disable ABS electronically (like a switch) so it can be rendered harmless at the track? My reason is I believe it is responsible for turning many a outside-heading spin (where there is lots of room) to an inside-heading uncontrollable drive-off (where they put the walls a lot closer). ABS seems to nullify the "start to spin / two feet in" method of damage control.

·
Premium Member
2,637 Posts
Disconnect one of the sensors at the wheel, or, splice in a connection to a switch which interupts the signal.

·
Registered
688 Posts
A side effect of unplugging a sensor is that traction control is also disabled (for those cars with TC). I actually like the adjustable TC (at a high threshold on track), anyone know a way to disable ABS but still have TC?

TIA,

·
Registered
650 Posts
I have debated myself if I should disable ABS. To date I have not and I do not have TC. Only time I have noticed a issue is if I get air born on a jump ABS was a bad thing. I do not know the answer and interested in others thoughts on is it better to turn off ABS on track?

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
A side effect of unplugging a sensor is that traction control is also disabled (for those cars with TC). I actually like the adjustable TC (at a high threshold on track), anyone know a way to disable ABS but still have TC?

TIA,
Over the last two seasons I have 3 out 6 tracks that I run without abs. I have TC and I have only had two starts where traction control was disabled. It makes absolutely no sense what so ever...also in some cases after it has been disconnected and reconnected it seems TC freaks out a bit, kicks in early, also, typically my light is off but on start it's on and after a few cycles it reverts to being off. Flakey at best...I would say play with it to see how yours reacts.

I find at tracks with lots of lower speed corners from high speed, hills, mini jumps, rumbles in braking zone it works the best to remove abs sensor as abs kicks in to much. On longer high speed tracks with sweepers, etc. I like the abs or in rain of course. Just take care to test the brake pedal feel or you will be flat spotting tires.

*Also, that has just been my experience based on my driving/setup.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts