The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
4,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Received my Exige style fiberglass side scoops from ESTA INTERNATIONAL Carbon Fiber & Fiberglass body kits for Porsche, Lotus, BMW, Ferrari,Lamborghini and had a less than positive experience right from the start.

I ordered using the form on their site ($310.00), Paypal is the only option for checkout...no problem. The next day, I get a email saying I owe another $14.60 to cover their Paypal fees! There was no mention of this on their site (they have since added to their terms page in the past few days). Not to mention it's a violation of Paypal's terms to surcharge for their own fees. I returned the email and asked for a refund. They responded and said 'since we didn't tell you up front, we'll waive the surcharge.' Fine.

So I received the parts. First of all, they shipped to me just wrapped in a plastic bag and a piece of bubble wrap...didn't even put them in a box! Even the mail man chuckled when he dropped it off and said 'amazing these made it here in one piece.' Well, one side is cracked in two places near the edge.

Second, they are filthy! They didn't bother to clean them before sending. The ends were wrapped with packing tape, directly on the primer surface, which is now coated with glue residue.

The edges are very rough cut, and my body shop is going to have to spend extra time sanding and preping before they paint. See pics below.

Last, they didn't even drill the mounting (or even pilot) holes. You would think for $310 bucks they could take just a minute to do that. Check the product picture on their site:
ESTA INTERNATIONAL -Lotus Elise S2 OEM Look Body kit in Carbon Fiber & Fiber Glass

Anyway, very disappointed is this experience. I also sent them a note but haven't heard back yet.

EDIT 7/9/08: After a few email exchanges, they allowed me to return these and gave me a full refund.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,240 Posts
i would send it back and ask for another one....i would talk directly to whoevers in charge. Theres no point in talking to people that are under the boss that cant get the job done.

·
Registered
749 Posts
I would send it back and get a refund. Get the part from somewhere else. Don't let them benefit one penny if this is their business model.

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
Sucks, but it is common for many international companies to ship in bags. We were told that our use and requirement for boxes, was more a US thing.

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
Dave, sorry to hear about the bad experience, the quality isn't what I'd expect. I purchased some inexpensive knock-offs from ebay, they are CF - not the best layup quality, just ok. I paid around $300.00.

How do you plan to fasten these to your Elise? I haven't done mine yet. I tried to purchase this part from Lotus, they wanted $186 each! I've looked for an aluminum bushing, one that would allow the fastener to recess below the surface of the scoop - no luck yet.

Attachments

·
Vendor
6,306 Posts
Dave- That's crap.

It's like going to Applebees and ordering a steak. You know going in that applebees is no Ruth's Chris, but it's better than McDonalds, so maybe the steak will tollerable. You're prepared for what the picture looked like on the menu. Nice and pretty, juicy, with grill marks, and crispy steak fries... then they bring you the "steak", which is just microwaved chopped sirloin that's dry as a bone with some soggy fries on the side...
You're thinking, "Well this isn't what the picture looked like." :huh:

Do you send it back and leave and head to Ruth's Chris -or- eat it and go for custard afterwords with the money you saved?

Best,

Phil

PS- the above analogy makes sense to me, but perhaps it's just gibberish to everyone else. My wife says that my analogies/metaphors never make a darn bit of sense:rolleyes::D

·
Registered
252 Posts
Please know that in no way am I trying to hurt anyone's feelings but I would send them back and get a refund if at all possible. Regardless, in my opinion I wouldn't put those on my car because they really don't appear to meet even the most minimal expectations. I have cf side scoops on my Elise but they came from a company I was certain would deliver a high quality product, shipped in a box with ample plastic bubble wrap, and I paid a fair price for what I received. I didn't have to take them to a paint shop for painting or remedial repairs and they had tabs with pre-drilled pilot holes and good instructions. Retail on mine were $750.00. If you add up the time, outside expense, and frustration you are now dealing with, I bet my purchase ends up cheaper than yours. I tuly do wish you the best possible outcome.

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
This is par for the course with grp add-ons. I've bought several grp spoilers/panels for porsche 911's. The pics they show on their site are after 50 body shop hours usually. I once bought a RUF BTR type front spoiler from "better bodies" and it came with a crap lifted gel coat. Normally gelcoat being bonded is something you can bank on, and just prime over it. Nope.

I had to take 3 pie sections out to even make it fit the car. Then, spent an entire day sanding, this thing had been pulled from a mold that was way past its tooling limits. The best part was when I ever so lightly rubbed on a speedbump and it exploded like something out of star wars, due to the tension it was mounted with. *sigh*.

I say get your money back and go elsewhere, sorry Dave!

·
Registered
11,221 Posts
Dave- That's crap.

It's like going to Applebees and ordering a steak. You know going in that applebees is no Ruth's Chris, but it's better than McDonalds, so maybe the steak will tollerable. You're prepared for what the picture looked like on the menu. Nice and pretty, juicy, with grill marks, and crispy steak fries... then they bring you the "steak", which is just microwaved chopped sirloin that's dry as a bone with some soggy fries on the side...
You're thinking, "Well this isn't what the picture looked like." :huh:

Do you send it back and leave and head to Ruth's Chris -or- eat it and go for custard afterwords with the money you saved?

Best,

Phil

PS- the above analogy makes sense to me, but perhaps it's just gibberish to everyone else. My wife says that my analogies/metaphors never make a darn bit of sense:rolleyes::D

I would only place Applebee's slightly above McDonald's.

·
Registered
4,713 Posts

·
Registered
1,130 Posts

·
Registered
4,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I would send those back. Jeez, for about the same cost you can get the carbon/fiberglass wet laid scoops that fit perfectly. Just make your own screens, although you would have to do that anyway. That company didn't treat you the way they should.

http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f157/how-exige-scoop-grills-57901/#post1033056

Cheers,
Skottoman
Wish I would have caught your thread before I ordered these...those looks great! I've asked them for a refund, but no response as of yet.

Maine - hadn't even formed a plan to install yet, but probably would have done similar to Skotto.

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
I am sorry you had a less than desirable experience with ESTA - I purchased a chin spoiler from them a few months ago and was very happy with my purchase - I expected I was going to have to drill my mounting holes and provide hardware and I paid $420.00 shipped air freight. I worked with a guy named John and he was very helpful .

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
Damn, i got some inexpensive carbon fiber pieces shipped from Taiwan that was only 12" X 3". It came in a box and bubble wrap.... Sux that such a big piece wasn't packaged properly.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Wish I would have caught your thread before I ordered these...those looks great! I've asked them for a refund, but no response as of yet.

Maine - hadn't even formed a plan to install yet, but probably would have done similar to Skotto.
Personally, I would wait 2 full days, if they dont get back to you contact paypal for your money back. They will have to respond at that point.

Every company can have issues with shipments, but there is no excuse for not answering your email in a timely manner.

David

·
Registered
52 Posts
I gave up on Esta as well, no response to e-mail requests 3 weeks ago. Glad to say they are the losers. Nobody gonna buy their crap or put up with it either. Sector111 has good stuff, you pay for it but its good and wrapped safely. Had a few hiccups with the Katana265 upgrade on my Elise and Sector111 have been very involved with the ongoing resolution. Apparently I'm the first person with an '07 Elise opting for the K265. Been a learning experience for all involved. Stay tuned....

·
Premium Member
5,633 Posts
"Got me once, shame on you, got me twice shame on me!!" I've been telling you guys for years now not to buy sht from those over priced companies/ region of the world but you guys won't listen!! ti's time for a "I got burned" thread...

P.S look at the bright side, it could be worst, you could be the guy in the glass bowl (raining) Lol

1 - 20 of 23 Posts