The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone share tips on taking the bases apart?  I've removed the jam nut and the inner stud but the retaining collar (?) and the mirror stem and ball still doesn't come off.  Thanks in advance.

For those about to install the mirrors, it really is pretty easy.
<ul><li>If you drop a screw in the door, taking the interior door panel off is painless but unless you have long, skinny arms, a small magnetic pickup like this will make it much easier: <a href="http://www.saveonpromotionalproducts.com/catalogpics/Alexander/a82lg.jpg">http://www.saveonpromotionalproducts.com/catalogpics/Alexander/a82lg.jpg</a>
<li>Using a razor blade, I started to scrape the interior round adhesive sticker plug off.  If your careful taking it off, you can put it back on without any evidence of it being reused.
<li>I had to use four lock washers on the forward mounting bolt to make it work; otherwise the bolt was too long (the included short bolt was too short for my car).
<li>The third "filler" bolt protruded on the backside into my weatherstripping so I left it off. I'll need to find a plug or something... good thing it stopped raining.
</ul>Thanks Cade & Sector111 for the group buy!!! :)

·
Banned
3,227 Posts
Here is my car:

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Take the top screw out and slide the mirror off (may need soap). I gave the powdercoating shop the entire base, mirror stem and all.

You can still see the bare aluminum nut at the bottom of the mirror stem, the entire mirror stem was taped off so it retained the stock finish.

·
Banned
1,348 Posts
I got the whole thing apart. It was a PITA... If you want I can walk you through it. PM me your number or something and I can walk you through it.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I got the whole thing apart. It was a PITA... If you want I can walk you through it.
PITA, ehh. Maybe, I'll do as Amarao suggests and just hand the shop all the metal bits and let them figure it out.

I was also thinking about just scuffing up the polished finish and using a high quality paint. It's a fairly protected area so I don't imagine any rocks will be chipping away at it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts