The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Lotus Elise
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I've tried searching for this a few different ways, but wasn't able to find anything definitive.

Does anybody know how to disassemble/de-pin the white CAN bus connector for the Elise/Exige cluster? My car has the seemingly common issue of the cluster cutting out randomly while driving, and I've noticed that putting pressure on the wires seems to bring it back. I'm guessing that the crimp on the pins is loose, but I can't seem to figure out how to de-pin it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Addict
2007 Lotus Exige S
1,377 Posts
Read that wrong at first. Do you have a pic of the harness you need to remove wires/pins from?

·
Registered
2005 Lotus Elise
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It is the connector in the pictures below. After some more time with a small flat-head and some choice words, I actually managed to pop open the "doors" at the top and bottom of the connector, but even with those open, I have yet to be able to pull the pins out of the connector body.

·
Addict
2007 Lotus Exige S
1,377 Posts
You need some type of pick or similar to insert and release the pins. The pins have a barb on them that locks them into the connector, you need to push the barb into the pin enough to release it. I haven’t pulled those wires out but the connector looks normal enough, google how to remove a pin from a connector and you’ll find plenty of DIYs.

Found this guide, faster than taking pics myself. You only need to look at the pin removal section to get an idea on how to remove the wires. ECU Pin Removal Guide - VTEC Academy

Or this guide is a little more focused on just pin removal. ae64.com - Insert or Remove Wires from Harness Shell

·
Registered
2,165 Posts

·
Administrator
1,543 Posts
I don't think the wire side connector is the usual issue. I had to take my cluster apart and resolder the PC board side to stop the cut outs
I had read about some cold solder joints is that what you encountered?

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
A pick you can use very effectively (I have just done something like this) to disconnect the sires from the connector is a steel pic used for your teeth, they sell it at places like pharmacy stores, Walgreens,maybe Walmart. Will work very nicely for this.

I used it to disconnect the DBW Throttle Body wires from the TB DBW connector. Worked great and made it very easy. I also suggest a very high magnified set of reading glasses.

Check this thread: 2006 Elise, DBW P0638 and P2104 - Accelerator pedal?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts