The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do the DiscNOIR rotor center hat area resist rust better than the stock Elise rotors after a couple of years of use?

How about rust on EBC UltiMaX rotors after a few years?

What's your experience with these brake rotors.

·
Premium Member
7,050 Posts
Salt+ northern climate = rust:tadts:

Haven't found a rotor yet that doesn't rust. MUST use vehicle.

·
Registered
268 Posts
I had OEM, DiscNOIR and DBA4000, all showed rust after a while...year-round sunny dry days pleasure (not daily) and summer track driving in north east.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for your replies. I guess it's just as easy to paint over the rusted hat area.

·
** The Enforcer **
7,594 Posts
Thanks for your replies. I guess it's just as easy to paint over the rusted hat area.
If you want to avoid the center hat rusting (which is what you asked about), go with a 2-piece rotor with an aluminum hat. You'll save weight as well.

San

·
German Reimport
2,953 Posts
I assume they will all rust sooner or later, but it is easy to fix and really gives the car a much cleaner look IMO.
Just take them off, take some sand paper or a wheel brush for the drill and remove the rust.
Tape off the friction surface with some painters tape, buy some high temp paint in the color of your choice and spray paint them.
Wait until your wife is out of the house for a while in order to avoid unnecessary discussions and stick them in the kitchen oven for the paint to fully cure.
Reassemble, enjoy the clean look, and redo as needed.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If you want to avoid the center hat rusting (which is what you asked about), go with a 2-piece rotor with an aluminum hat. You'll save weight as well.

San
I've looked into that but the steel rotor itself still rusts in the center area where it is screwed to the hat. I've seen that on pics of some used 2 piece rotors from Sector 111. The center area of the rotor is exposed in the gaps between the bolts.

I suppose you can some get some rotors with aluminum hats that cover up entire center of the rotor.

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
If you are concerned about rust and just want an OE style brake rotor, you should consider the Centric premium brake rotor. They are made just like OE have an e-coating along the vent/casted area and vanes. here is a pic with competitor comparisons:

Part number you're looking for is 128.23000

also see this thread: http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f91/centric-oem-rotor-manufacturer-119808/

1 - 8 of 8 Posts