The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A large area of my driver side seal panel is discolored. I've tried Mothers Back to Black and if anything, the lighter areas show up worse now!

I suspect that some kind of solvent was spilled on to it at some point (before I bought the car).

Anyone got any ideas how can I restore it, given that Back to Black won't?

p.s. And no, I don't want to replace them with CF!

Attachments

·
Registered
6,226 Posts
A large area of my driver side seal panel is discolored. I've tried Mothers Back to Black and if anything, the lighter areas show up worse now!

I suspect that some kind of solvent was spilled on to it at some point (before I bought the car).

Anyone got any ideas how can I restore it, given that Back to Black won't?

p.s. And no, I don't want to replace them with CF!
See any guys with CF are willing to sell you their OEM pcs?

·
Premium Member
2,336 Posts
If they are leather like the Evora, you may try to re-dye them.

I have used Leatherique products for years, including their leather dye. I had them color match some for a street rod I was building and sprayed a console and steering wheel with an airbrush and it matched perfectly. Here's a link: ORDER Products | Leatherique Restoration Products

Their leather Rejuvenator is also fantastic and I have used it on all my cars for years.

·
Registered
831 Posts
The sill is plastic, not leather, so I'm not sure Leatherique is necessary. Plastic dye could work just fine. I got a can of black dye from Amazon just by searching, dabbed it on with a cloth and my sill looked like new. It wasn't as bad as yours but they had spots and visible scratches. I did it when I got my car, about 4 years ago and the sills still look fine. It was only about $20.

·
Premium Member
2,336 Posts
I wasn't sure what they were made out of or if they were covered. But since they are plastic, please disregard my suggestion as I don't think Leatherique will work for plastic..

·
Registered
935 Posts
Maybe you could paint them with a good plastic compatible paint or wrap them in matt black vinyl , but the plastic dye sounds cool but not seen it in person.

·
www.theapexinn.com
11,687 Posts
Try some leather dye.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I got my plastic dye (ordered from Amazon) on Sat and used it. It comes with a cleaner that you use first (after diluting) that removes silicones and other surface treatments first.

After one coat, the discoloration is almost totally gone. I can still see it, because I'm looking for it. I think a second coat should make it completely disappear.

Thanks for the tips!

·
Registered
591 Posts
you try a plastic "restorer" by chance? when their is hazing on exterior plastics, it will clear that up

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
you try a plastic "restorer" by chance? when their is hazing on exterior plastics, it will clear that up
I tried Mothers Back to Black and if anything it made it worse. The non-stained areas got darker, but the lighter areas stayed the same. So the overall contrast increased.

·
Less is Better
2,626 Posts
That's the one I got.
It's cool stuff and that little bottle goes a long way. I found that if you apply it with the sponge alone it dries very streaky. If you apply it and then run a rag over it while it's wet, the results are really nice.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It's cool stuff and that little bottle goes a long way. I found that if you apply it with the sponge alone it dries very streaky. If you apply it and then run a rag over it while it's wet, the results are really nice.
Thanks! I'll try that for the next coat.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts