The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a relatively new Elise owner.. Noticed both of my front oil coolers are totally disconnected and unused. First I freaked out but then I saw that the previous owner has paperwork for an old discontinued part - TRD Engine Oil Cooler - TRD part part #15071-ZT300. I didn't see where this TRD cooler is mounted but would be it be correct to assume - the previous owner (he passed away, can't ask him) disconnected Lotus oil coolers in the front and switched to the TRD cooler instead?

My oil temp rarely shows high oil temps so I'm not too concerned but searching around here, it doesn't seem like many owners tried disconnecting both their oil coolers completely. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
11,571 Posts
Best to assume nothing. If that TRD part was installed, you can probably see it.

If you don't track your car, you don't need any coolers. I have none and now engine warms up much faster.

There is a reasonable theory that ppl who engage big cam lobes before proper warm up eventually wear out the cams.

You should have cited the oil temps you see.

·
Premium Member
602 Posts
Street driven, the normally aspirated 2ZZ-GE does not require an oil cooler because of excessive oil heating. On the track, and presumably in high speed cruise (above 90 mph or so) it does. 2ZZ engines in UK/Europe and Australia markets in both Toyotas and Lotuses were equipped with the oil-water intercooler pictured in the OP, which was sold as a TRD part in the US aftermarket.

2ZZ engines in US market Toyotas (and the Pontiac Vibe) had no oil cooler from the factory. You can bet that Toyota would have installed such a cooler if the engine had oil temperature problems in North America market use.

2ZZ engines in US and Persian gulf market Lotuses initially had series-connected dual front air-oil coolers, later changed to a single air-oil cooler because even Lotus found them overcooled for street use.
Many US 2ZZ Lotus drivers have either removed all oil cooling, as glb has done, changed sandwich plates, gone to an oil-water cooler (as I did), or some combination of these. 2ZZs with a supercharger need oil cooling. 2ZZs getting track use need oil cooling.

Normally aspirated 2ZZs on the street in the USA need oil heating (for faster warmups) if anything, and certainly don't need oil cooling - that, and the expectation of a track day or two was why I decided on the oil-water cooler - I used one from a 5S-FE, which is the same as the TRD cooler pictured above except for the direction the water fittings point.

If you blast along at 160 km/h+ on the Autobahn/Autostrada/whatever you might need a cooler.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you.. Need to verify the TRD cooler is there next time I take off the belly plate

·
Premium Member
11,571 Posts
Note: When BOE was installing my Rev300, I told them that after 50 or so years, my track days were over, they suggested I disconnect the coolers.

--
Side note:

Driving to (maybe) VIR or near to help crew on friend's vintage racer, it was a hot day. A fellow in a WRX Sti showed up next to me on the broad highway. No one around, we both took off and he nudged in front by a bit. (My car then had a chip, but no blower.)

I thought that after that, the 2nd run may be more in my favor.

And....it was.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts