The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had my aftermarket Clarion HU installed last weekend, worked well until tonight when the HU won't move pass the boot logo screen. I'm going to try to reset the unit, but unfortunately I don't have the tools to open and unplug it from the back (and from the manual, it doesn't seem like the unit has a hard-reset button either).

So 2 questions:
1. Can I reset it by just pulling and replug in the fuse to the head unit? If so, where is the HU fuse located? Any photos readily available to help me locate it?

2. Can I reset it by dsconnecting and reconnecting the battery from the trunk? Will any thing be affected (alarm, ecu, clock, TRIP, etc) besides the head unit?

Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
1,404 Posts
The HU-fuse is probably on the wire in back of the unit- that is the case for most after-market units.

Pulling the battery will reset the clock, but not do much else.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just an update, disconnecting the battery does nothing except reset my car clock :facepalm head unit still stuck on boot screen-restart cycle. I'm going to pull the audio over the weekend and see if there's a hard reset somewhere on the back, and at this point though it seems to be a software issue rather than anything hardware, so I'm thinking of jumping ship to a jvc (which i had on the slk and absolutely love), or going alpine if I can't get the bloody thing to reset.

For the record, the HU i installed is suppose to be Clarion's brand new flagship model NX604 that was just released in June. I guess sometimes, newest and expensive isn't as good as old & reliable.

·
Premium Member
1,404 Posts
Have you checked the Web for clarion hard reset?

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Have you checked the Web for clarion hard reset?
I've called their customer service and they said the only way to reset the unit is to pull the power wire.... disconnecting the battery would be the same thing, right (which didn't do anything in terms of reseting the unit)?

·
Premium Member
2,717 Posts
Yes it would do the same thing. However, did they tell you how long to leave it disconnected?

I had an issue with a radio that I had to do a reset on (different manufacturer) and was told I had to disconnect power for at least 15 minutes. I'm not sure if there was an internal capacitor that had to discharge to make the reset work or not. Maybe you did not have it disconnected long enough.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes it would do the same thing. However, did they tell you how long to leave it disconnected?

I had an issue with a radio that I had to do a reset on (different manufacturer) and was told I had to disconnect power for at least 15 minutes. I'm not sure if there was an internal capacitor that had to discharge to make the reset work or not. Maybe you did not have it disconnected long enough.

Hm, i left it disconnect for only 2 or 3 minutes as I was in a hurry to try it before heading to work. I'll try again in a few minutes and see.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just gave it 30 min off the battery, clarion head unit still stuck on boot screen restart cycle. I'm gonna chalk this up as a software issue with it. Probably just going to end up replacing it tomorrow when I get a chance to pull the unit and ship it back to amazon. $800 for top of the line clarion that works for barely a week.

Here's a question, assuming these units are running off of flash memories or whatever it is that they are built upon, would turning off the car at some certain precise moment while it's reading or loading errors it out like removing a memory card would?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have the same issue with mine.....did you every get a solution to the problem?
I know it has been a while but did you ever have a solution to this? I have a Clarion FX503 stuck on the clarion screen. There is not reset button on the front. I am going to try to pull the battery but I was just curious.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Pull the HU...isn't there a fuse located directly on the back of the HU itself? My last two Kenwood HU's had this.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
As a side note you might want to try and update the firmware if you can and see if that will fix your issue.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Can I update the firmware without it coming up? I saw where you load it on the SD card but it looked like you had to go to settings and update it. I was hoping it would boot off of it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts