The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
794 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is the blue plug in the picture the ABS? If I disconnect that from all 4 corners will that effectively disable the ABS? Also, is there any detrimental effects if I do this (besides not having ABS)?
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
276 Posts
kartvader said:
Is the blue plug in the picture the ABS? If I disconnect that from all 4 corners will that effectively disable the ABS? Also, is there any detrimental effects if I do this (besides not having ABS)?
yes, that's the ABS plug. You only have to disconnect one of the four to disable ABS. The ABS light will come on in your dash. As for detrimental, I guess that depends on your opinion. I've disabled ABS to get around the "ice-mode" problem. After changing the anti-roll bar and upgrading the suspension (and driving a lot more agressively on the track), I started to experience the ice-mode problem on the track. With the ABS disabled, there is no ice-mode, however, I'm not so certain anymore that this is the best way around this problem. The Elise is very good at trail braking, and without ABS, it is much easier to lock up the rears (not so good for trail braking!).

I plan to experiment again this summer at the track to see if I would rather live with ice-mode or deal with easier to lock up rears...

If you only street your car, I have no idea why you would want to disable ABS.

-RWarden
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
276 Posts
darkSol said:
Your speedometer/odometer will stop working. The vehicle speed is determined through the ABS sensors.
Perhaps if you disconnect all four (or rather one specifically, but not the LF), but with only my LF ABS connector unplugged my speedometer and odo still work....
 

·
purveyor of lightness
Joined
·
4,141 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
794 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
rwarden said:
yes, that's the ABS plug. You only have to disconnect one of the four to disable ABS. The ABS light will come on in your dash. As for detrimental, I guess that depends on your opinion. I've disabled ABS to get around the "ice-mode" problem. After changing the anti-roll bar and upgrading the suspension (and driving a lot more agressively on the track), I started to experience the ice-mode problem on the track. With the ABS disabled, there is no ice-mode, however, I'm not so certain anymore that this is the best way around this problem. The Elise is very good at trail braking, and without ABS, it is much easier to lock up the rears (not so good for trail braking!).

I plan to experiment again this summer at the track to see if I would rather live with ice-mode or deal with easier to lock up rears...

If you only street your car, I have no idea why you would want to disable ABS.

-RWarden
I would disconnect it on the track. I don't want to experience ice mode when I'm driving flat out on a straight with a hairpin at the end. That would be very uncool. -eek- As for street, I would probably leave it connected.

Thanks for all the info guys! Now I know I can just disconnect the front left. :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,162 Posts
A bit off topic - I'm damn glad this has ABS as I got a chance to use it yesterday morning when two deer ran out. The first was in no danger but the second one and I were on a collision course. Slammed on the brakes and missed the deer by about 10'. It would have been a different outcome with the van.-eek-
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
658 Posts
I have had this happen too many times on the street so I took the car in and they said there is no such thing as "Ice Mode" it is simply the ABS
working when it thinks there is wheel slip, this can happen when one
tire goes over a bump while the other does not all while using the brake.
If you know a spot where the road has a bump and its not a turn,
just try it out and then you will know the feeling, because you don't want this to happen in a turn if you like to late brake.
On a bumpy track or road the ABS can be tricky unless you memorize the bumps.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,983 Posts
do all '06 elises have ABS? i haven't looked yet for the sensors. the comment about the LF sensor is the needed clue for my cruise control installation.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,374 Posts
ZAMMY1 said:
do all '06 elises have ABS? i haven't looked yet for the sensors. the comment about the LF sensor is the needed clue for my cruise control installation.
ALL US spec Elises have ABS.
 

·
shay2nak
Joined
·
25,035 Posts
rwarden said:
The Elise is very good at trail braking, and without ABS, it is much easier to lock up the rears (not so good for trail braking!).
in another thread we were talking about moving the front calipers to the rear after installation of the 4 piston calipers at the front and a few folks said that the rear is already overbraked. I guess your rears locking up much more easily without the ABS confirms this??
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,969 Posts
You probably already know to do this but I would tape up the end to keep the track debris off the plug ends while it is disconnected.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,519 Posts
Reviving an old thread - but is it advisable to disable ABS by yanking the fuse rather than the wheel sensor? If so, which fuse (My fuse box under the bonnet is not numbered and I haven't looked at the one under the dash if there is one so a photo would help)
Thanks
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,519 Posts
bump
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,786 Posts
I don't know whether it's preferable to disconnect the LF sensor or pull the fuse, but here is the fuse info anyway... it's the fuse block in the "front services compartment" or, as you say, under the bonnet.
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
658 Posts
Once you pull the fuse you may throw a p0500 code (speed censor)
You will see the check engine light, this is on 05 (factory update re-flash) and later cars.
 
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Top