The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When disconnecting the battery, whats the sequence not to loose memory, set of the alarm, etc.

·
Premium Member
1,507 Posts
After recently being driven, wait at least 30 minutes prior to disconnecting the battery terminals. Also, do not arm the alarm prior to disconnecting the battery. Some things will have to be reset regardless, like window indexes, radio presets, dash cluster clock.

And don't close the trunk lid once the battery is disconnected. I like to manually latch the trunk latch in the closed position, so I can't accidentally shut it.

·
Registered
249 Posts
When disconnecting the battery, whats the sequence not to loose memory, set of the alarm, etc.
Just unarm the alarm.

Make sure the release cable under the back seat is working (I do it once a year), prior to disconnecting.

If you have locked garage, you can leave the trunk open - safer.

You’ll have to do the radio setting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2020 Evora GT in Formula Red, coordinated black+red interior, windowed engine hatch
446 Posts
Some things will have to be reset regardless, like window indexes, radio presets, dash cluster clock.
What? The vehicle doesn't have non-volatile memory for window positioning? I can understand the radio losing its settings (actually, non-volatile memory is so cheap these days I really don't understand that but it's true of every mobile radio I've used). And the clock, sure. But fundamental parameters like windows? Seriously?

·
Premium Member
1,507 Posts
What? The vehicle doesn't have non-volatile memory for window positioning? I can understand the radio losing its settings (actually, non-volatile memory is so cheap these days I really don't understand that but it's true of every mobile radio I've used). And the clock, sure. But fundamental parameters like windows? Seriously?
That's part of the "charm" of these vehicles. From what I understand, they're orders of magnitude more modern and reliable than the Lucas-era vehicles. But that may not be saying much, compared to most other marques of current-day.

·
Registered
2020 Evora GT in Formula Red, coordinated black+red interior, windowed engine hatch
446 Posts
That's part of the "charm" of these vehicles. From what I understand, they're orders of magnitude more modern and reliable than the Lucas-era vehicles. But that may not be saying much, compared to most other marques of current-day.
I'm the first one to applaud the "lack of too much technology". I love the analog gauges, I love the rotary knobs, etc. Heck, I'd be OK with manual crank windows. All I'm saying is if you decide to include a feature, implement it properly. Non-volatile memory is decades old and ultra-cheap. A classic example is a USB stick... what do those cost, a few dollars? And being in the electronics industry I can tell you that at the chip level they're well under a dollar for the amount of memory this environment would require.

What's most interesting is the warning about not disconnecting the battery for ~30 minutes to give the system time to shut down gracefully. That sure sounds like writing to non-volatile memory to me, in preparation for loss of power. It's like they took most of the steps but didn't bother to take full advantage of what they were already doing. Just very strange.

·
Registered
229 Posts
This is Lotus you're talking about, you don't understand. For instance, I don't know if they fixed this in later modes but my 2011 interior lights don't time out. If the interior or trunk light stays on for some reason, your battery goes dead. Electronics is not their thing.

·
Loves to talk
1,101 Posts
I've disconnected my battery several times. My car is never armed in the garage so that wasn't an issue in my case. The radio (at least in the '17s) has non volatile memory for the stations however in my case the margin indicators of the backup camera need to be restored when the car is powered down. Otherwise nothing else is disturbed when I disconnect the battery.

·
Premium Member
417 Posts
Make sure the release cable under the back seat is working (I do it once a year), prior to disconnecting.
Hello
I have an S1, i used the cable but dont know how to pull it back, do you know a technique
To pull it back? Thanks

·
Registered
226 Posts
Hello
I have an S1, i used the cable but dont know how to pull it back, do you know a technique
To pull it back? Thanks
Its under the rear passenger side seat but the clip that holds the outer cable is on one of the bolts that holds the lower rear quarter panel in position so its easier to do this if you take that of as would be needed to access the subwoofer/amplifier. You need to reolocate the outer cable in the clip, bend the clip around it and then I suggest putting a zip tie or a twist of wire around the whole thing to stop this happening again.

·
Premium Member
417 Posts
What is the proper way/technique to release the cable?
after releasing the cable how do you put it back?

·
Premium Member
1,507 Posts
Not my video, but found this one:

Just make sure you pull the handle towards the driver's side of the car, not the front of the car.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Hooray, I get to contribute! :)

Not a video, but here's a photo taken moments ago in my 2020 Evora GT:

I tested it, and it works as advertised.

However, note the cable routing. It clearly wants to be pulled toward the front of the vehicle. That's contrary to what appears to be the case in the video posted above. I would look carefully at how YOUR cable is routed and pull it in its natural direction.

Note too the cutout in the carpet cushioning, which very clearly intends for the handle to rest in the position shown in the photo (cable straight, handle across the body).

As for access: I removed the rear lower seat (held in place solely by a solid layer of velcro stuck to the underlying carpet). Then the passenger side of the vertical carpet has a cutaway relief panel behind the passenger's seat that goes all the way to the floor, while the horizontal "seat" area carpet is simply tucked under the seatback. Lift and curve this area away from the right rear corner of the seat area and you'll reveal the view shown above.

The driver's side of the carpet does not have the cutaway relief panel, which is obviously in place to make accessing this emergency handle easier. However, removal of the entire carpet piece would be easy if you needed access to things underneath.

Reinstallation of the carpet is straightforward. Tuck the rear edge under the seatback, insuring that the cable handle settles into its cutout. Then just work the carpet down and rearward until it is in place. There are no fasteners involved, it's all just tucking and pushing.

I went ahead and removed the seatback cushion too, turning my 2+2 into a 2+0. There are four fasteners on the seatback but they release with fingers, then four metal hooks that "hang" it on the firewall. The entire 2+0 conversion didn't take more than 60 seconds and I was moving slowly and cautiously. Based on earlier comments and the video above I expected to build some sort of carpet-covered shelf in its place, but with the two cushions out the entire area is nicely carpeted and absolutely nothing needs to be done. We now have a very nice luggage compartment easily big enough for a couple of carry-on bags and a couple of backpacks, making the Evora GT the perfect car for a long weekend getaway. And the boot is still available too. Removing the seatback and cushion recovered a few inches of luggage space, and the two leather+Alcantera upholstery pieces are now safely wrapped and stored instead of being exposed to sharp-edged luggage. The seat belt buckles disappear behind the seatback carpet thanks to a couple of slots already cut for that purpose.

Hope this helps!

·
Illegal Alien
5,138 Posts
Hooray, I get to contribute! :)

Not a video, but here's a photo taken moments ago in my 2020 Evora GT:

View attachment 1268222

I tested it, and it works as advertised.

However, note the cable routing. It clearly wants to be pulled toward the front of the vehicle. That's contrary to what appears to be the case in the video posted above. I would look carefully at how YOUR cable is routed and pull it in its natural direction.

Note too the cutout in the carpet cushioning, which very clearly intends for the handle to rest in the position shown in the photo (cable straight, handle across the body).

As for access: I removed the rear lower seat (held in place solely by a solid layer of velcro stuck to the underlying carpet). Then the passenger side of the vertical carpet has a cutaway relief panel behind the passenger's seat that goes all the way to the floor, while the horizontal "seat" area carpet is simply tucked under the seatback. Lift and curve this area away from the right rear corner of the seat area and you'll reveal the view shown above.

The driver's side of the carpet does not have the cutaway relief panel, which is obviously in place to make accessing this emergency handle easier. However, removal of the entire carpet piece would be easy if you needed access to things underneath.

Reinstallation of the carpet is straightforward. Tuck the rear edge under the seatback, insuring that the cable handle settles into its cutout. Then just work the carpet down and rearward until it is in place. There are no fasteners involved, it's all just tucking and pushing.

I went ahead and removed the seatback cushion too, turning my 2+2 into a 2+0. There are four fasteners on the seatback but they release with fingers, then four metal hooks that "hang" it on the firewall. The entire 2+0 conversion didn't take more than 60 seconds and I was moving slowly and cautiously. Based on earlier comments and the video above I expected to build some sort of carpet-covered shelf in its place, but with the two cushions out the entire area is nicely carpeted and absolutely nothing needs to be done. We now have a very nice luggage compartment easily big enough for a couple of carry-on bags and a couple of backpacks, making the Evora GT the perfect car for a long weekend getaway. And the boot is still available too. Removing the seatback and cushion recovered a few inches of luggage space, and the two leather+Alcantera upholstery pieces are now safely wrapped and stored instead of being exposed to sharp-edged luggage. The seat belt buckles disappear behind the seatback carpet thanks to a couple of slots already cut for that purpose.

Hope this helps!
The video is probable as Series 1 car which required you to pull the cable in an awarded crossways motion. 4xx cars is definitely a pull forward. Now on the 2+0 cars there is a semi hard hardboard fitted under the shelf carpet, this was NOT designed to make access easy to the handle, I tugged and bent mine up to gain accessibility.

·
Registered
226 Posts
That is a useful picture. When the cable stops working its usually because the cable comes out from the clip/tab that you can see in the picture, sometimes this may be because you can bend the tab up if you pull the handle upwards. On my car I crimped the tab tight around the outer sheath of the cable and added a tie to hold it in place.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts