The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
For those wanting better lights for their Elise, and but not wanting to go the HID "retrofit kit" route:

I recently bought some Euro spec Osram SilverStars from a vendor. I bought a pair of H1 and a pair of H7 bulbs to replace the stock bulbs in the Elise. I worked out a deal and got both pair of bulbs and shipping for $65. I asked the guy (Peter) if he was interested in making the "special" pricing (it's lower than I found anywhere else) available for the rest of the Elise forum members, and his response is listed below:

I propose several options:
1. $65 Osram SilverStar +50% more light duo H7/H1
2. $63 Osram cool blue* 4000k H7/H1
3. $72 Osram SilverStar H1, Osram +80% 65 watt H7, 2100 lumen
*The Osram cool blue 4000k is the euro version of the US spec Sylvania SilverStars (blue bulbs).

I would like to have money orders. If people want to do pay pal, please add 2.50 to cover their fees.

Obviously I got the first option (option 1), but option 2 could be chosen by those that want the blue color (but less light), and option 3 sounds like it might good for anyone wanting to push the wiring a bit for the extra light.

If you are interested, contact Peter at [email protected] (website - coming couple of weeks - www.mckeige.com ) and let him know that you read it on the Elise List.

Edit: Apparently Peter's email addresses have changed. You can contact him now at: [email protected] or [email protected]

Another email address edit: [email protected]

I'll post pictures of the light output compared to stock when I install them (hopefully this weekend).

·
Registered
130 Posts
I'm curious to see if you notice a significant difference. I was thinking of doing the same thing after I get my car (in 2 days!)

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Why are the Osram bulbs so much brighter than the stock ones? Do they burn out faster (as do higher light output house bulbs for a constant wattage). Are they just made better in some way? If so, in what way?

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
ChrisH said:
Why are the Osram bulbs so much brighter than the stock ones? Do they burn out faster (as do higher light output house bulbs for a constant wattage). Are they just made better in some way? If so, in what way?
Good question.....inquiring minds want to know!

·
Banned
6,941 Posts
The Osrams are brighter because they are just under the max tolerance that is legal. That is they are made to a tight tolerance which fits under the high end of the normal loose tolerance. I use Osram +50s in me M3 and they work very well for such an easy, cheap mod.

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yea, what Stan said.

And from what I understand, they last as long as normal bulbs - they are just manufactured to a higher standard. The European comparison tests that I've read, have always rated the Osram SilverStars as the best.

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Here's a picture of the lights on my car - I've installed the SilverStars on the left, and the original Phillips are on the right (and the right isn't aimed yet). I'm standing in the middle to block the lights from crossin over as much a sI can, but it still crosses over. The camera really doesn't show the difference as much as there really is - the SilverStars are significantly brighter.

Here's the picture:

Attachments

·
Registered
130 Posts
Thanks for the info. I think I will order a set.

·
Registered
4 Posts
adamant said:
I sent him an email last week , no answer yet :confused:
hey adam

i responded to the e-mail you sent sunday morning.
to the xtransmission.com address.

i also forwarded it [just now] in case you didn't get it.

peter

·
Registered
4 Posts
Stan said:
Daniel Stern has good prices too:

http://www.danielsternlighting.com/products/products.html

For silverstar H1/H7: $63

Above with 65W high beam 2100 lumen $66

Stern is amazingly knowledgable about automotive lighting - check out his site. Those are his normal everyday prices, maybe he can do better for batches.
stan,

dan stern has an excellent site.

you didn't add his charges for shipping

·
Banned
6,941 Posts
>>>stan, dan stern has an excellent site. you didn't add his charges for shipping<<<

Well, it's not possible to do that as he charges for shipping and it would depend on the destination. The bulbs themselves are not large or heavy.

I bought Cibie CSRs for my E30 M3 from him - they work great! They have the Osram +50s in them and he added an extra high and low beam bulb with the order, no charge!

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
dr. osram said:
you didn't add his charges for shipping
Stan,
What Peter is indicating by this statement is that his prices (quoted above) include the shipping.

No interest, yadda, yadda - I just like my bulbs and the deal that I got. Daniel Stern is also very reputable...

·
Banned
6,941 Posts
>>>Stan, What Peter is indicating by this statement is that his prices (quoted above) include the shipping.<<<

Yes, I realize this, perhaps my choice of words was not very good. I could not (and cannot) post Stern's prices with a built-in shipping allowance because he doesn't do that. Your shipping cost froim him would vary slightly from mine. Those farther away get a slightly better deal than those closer in. So Peter's price includes shipping to you, and Stern's does not. You can check with Stern for his shipping cost to you if you want to compare to the nth degree. Osram are good bulbs and most likely those who buy and use them will like them.

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
Stan said:
>>>Stan, What Peter is indicating by this statement is that his prices (quoted above) include the shipping.<<<

Yes, I realize this, perhaps my choice of words was not very good. I could not (and cannot) post Stern's prices with a built-in shipping allowance because he doesn't do that. Your shipping cost froim him would vary slightly from mine. Those farther away get a slightly better deal than those closer in. So Peter's price includes shipping to you, and Stern's does not. You can check with Stern for his shipping cost to you if you want to compare to the nth degree. Osram are good bulbs and most likely those who buy and use them will like them.
Why is Lotus not allowing us to buy
similiar strength bulbs from them via
their H1 and H7 bulb upgrade kits?
Are they afraid of 'shorts'?

·
Banned
6,941 Posts
>>>Why is Lotus not allowing us to buy
similiar strength bulbs from them via
their H1 and H7 bulb upgrade kits?
Are they afraid of 'shorts'?<<<

I doubt it. Don't forget that our headlight use the European pattern and on any other car would not be street legal. So they do things like aim them too far down to compensate. Maybe their thought is that higher output bulbs could jeopardize the exemption. And if you go too large bulb wattage-wise, the heat won't do the rig much good.

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Stan said:
Maybe their thought is that higher output bulbs could jeopardize the exemption.
You are probably correct about this one. The exemption is for the lights as is on the car. Maybe changing the bulbs would bring into question the exemption, and it's better for Lotus to leave that one alone...

1 - 20 of 75 Posts