H1 - 55W Osram Silverstar - Hi Eff. +50
bulbs will not produce enough heat for
me to be concerned about electrically
caused damage.<<<

Correct.

·
Registered
3,916 Posts
has anyone tried the 65w +80% bulb? just wondering how much extra heat is generated and whether our wiring and housings can handle it. i'm not too worried about the wiring as much as i am the housings (10 extra watts should be handled by current wiring, right?).

·
Registered
3,684 Posts
raggedy1 said:
has anyone tried the 65w +80% bulb? just wondering how much extra heat is generated and whether our wiring and housings can handle it. i'm not too worried about the wiring as much as i am the housings (10 extra watts should be handled by current wiring, right?).
is it Lucas wiring? :D

·
Registered
3,827 Posts
Osram SilverStar H1, Osram +80% 65 watt H7, 2100 lumen

As a followup, has anyone yet tried the Osram SilverStar H1, Osram +80% 65 watt H7, 2100 lumen?

·
Registered
3,916 Posts
i had a thought:

Daniel Stern has a long article against PIAA bulbs where he goes on to explain how you cannot get 85 watts of light out of 55 watts. He really trashes PIAA.

So what's the difference when Osram claims to get 50 percent more light out of the same 55 watts compared to a standard bulb???

I've used PIAAs in the past and was always satisfied. Stern claims "I" was being fooled by the different color temperature produced from a coating, and that this different color has me thinking I'm getting more light compared to a standard bulb. Well I've used PIAAs in 3 different cars (3 different types and grades of PIAA bulbs and they never had coatings that I could detect) and was always satisfied that they produced more light than stock bulbs.

So now I'm using Osram Silverstars in my Elise. I believe they produce more light than stock bulbs. So how can Osram produce 50 percent more light than the OEM bulb? Is is because the bulb/filament is more efficient?

Ok, I'll buy that theory. But if it's true for Osram, then why can't PIAA be producing a more efficient bulb???

I've spoken and had email exchanges with Stern. He is very opinionated against PIAA and HID retrofits. He practically belittled me for using PIAAs in the past!

just some late night thoughts....

·
Registered
970 Posts
raggedy1 said:
i had a thought:

Daniel Stern has a long article against PIAA bulbs where he goes on to explain how you cannot get 85 watts of light out of 55 watts. He really trashes PIAA.

So what's the difference when Osram claims to get 50 percent more light out of the same 55 watts compared to a standard bulb???

I've used PIAAs in the past and was always satisfied. Stern claims "I" was being fooled by the different color temperature produced from a coating, and that this different color has me thinking I'm getting more light compared to a standard bulb. Well I've used PIAAs in 3 different cars (3 different types and grades of PIAA bulbs and they never had coatings that I could detect) and was always satisfied that they produced more light than stock bulbs.

So now I'm using Osram Silverstars in my Elise. I believe they produce more light than stock bulbs. So how can Osram produce 50 percent more light than the OEM bulb? Is is because the bulb/filament is more efficient?

Ok, I'll buy that theory. But if it's true for Osram, then why can't PIAA be producing a more efficient bulb???

I've spoken and had email exchanges with Stern. He is very opinionated against PIAA and HID retrofits. He practically belittled me for using PIAAs in the past!

just some late night thoughts....

to me, when someone is so onesided or opinionated I dont think they can see clearly enough to have an objective view...while I have been a strong proponent for HID on this board, I am open to the fact that many people will be satisfied with osrams or stock bulbs when headlight assembly is correctly aimed /aligned...some people dont need the extra luminal output...I am not one of them though cause I have seen HID and osrams side by side and to me, HID light is much more useful and safe.

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
raggedy1 said:
So how can Osram produce 50 percent more light than the OEM bulb? Is is because the bulb/filament is more efficient?
Because some of that is marketing. They produce 50% more than some "legal" lights. There is a range of allowable light that can be generated. Osram SilverStars are manufactured to tighter tolerances to produce at the very high end of the allowable range - which can be 50% more than the light of a poor bulb that's at the low range.

What Osram SilverStars produce is the maximum amount of legal light output. PIAAs tend to make the blue bulbs and claim to be brighter - they can accomplish this by modifying the light output and being brighter in some areas and dimmer in others. That's where they get their claim of 85W of light from 55W of power - it's true in some areas, however other areas of the light pattern may only have 15% of the "normal".

Additionally, "blue" colored lights actually "rob" the eye from being able to see - although you have the impression that you can see better, you actually can't as the color is wrong for the eyes optimum vision and it causes the eye to close which in turn lets in less light - you see less.

·
Registered
3,916 Posts
thanks Tim for the answer, but (no offense) it sounds like you're just restating what daniel stern says on his website.

i'll grant you that the osram is brighter than OEM, but I don't buy into the notion that PIAAs are not what they claim. Just from personal experience I can say that they PIAAs are brighter than stock too.

the PIAAs I've purchased are not coated blue, at least as far as I can tell from the naked eye. I've seen blue coated bulbs before and they're the shits. the PIAA super whites i've used look to be the same color temp as the osrams.

maybe early PIAAs were coated blue - back when this whole blue light/hid thing hit the market? I remember seeing some blue PIAA lights but don't know for certain that they were accomplished via a coating. I'll assume they were since that's what Stern accuses.

anyone else use (or used) PIAA in the past and have an opinion????

I think Osram is the way to go with cost being considered, but I don't think PIAA should be considered trash as Stern will tell you.

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
raggedy1 said:
maybe early PIAAs were coated blue - back when this whole blue light/hid thing hit the market? I remember seeing some blue PIAA lights but don't know for certain that they were accomplished via a coating. I'll assume they were since that's what Stern accuses.
I've seen the blue-coated bulbs, and all they accomplish is filtering out some of the colors from the useful light.

Like you said, it was part of the HID fad.. back when the first HIDs came out and everyone wanted "the look", the ricers were painting their bulbs blue/purple to tint them. You can still spot the fakers on the road -- it looks nothing like HID.

Here's the thing that really puzzles me...

How is this whole subject of lighting so poorly understood and unscientific. It's light, for cryin out loud, and we've been making bulbs since Edison. We have instruments for measuring lumens, footlamberts, candela and watts..

As a photographer, I just can't imagine why something as basic as "this bulb is 50% brighter" is argued about like the holy mystery of the Trinity. It's basic high school science to take a measurement and have factual quantities.

Where have all the scientists gone?

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 · (Edited)

·
Registered
3,827 Posts
TimMullen said:
For those wanting better lights for their Elise, and but not wanting to go the HID "retrofit kit" route:

I recently bought some Euro spec Osram SilverStars from a vendor. I bought a pair of H1 and a pair of H7 bulbs to replace the stock bulbs in the Elise. I worked out a deal and got both pair of bulbs and shipping for $65. I asked the guy (Peter) if he was interested in making the "special" pricing (it's lower than I found anywhere else) available for the rest of the Elise forum members, and his response is listed below:

I propose several options:
1. $65 Osram SilverStar +50% more light duo H7/H1
2. $63 Osram cool blue* 4000k H7/H1
3. $72 Osram SilverStar H1, Osram +80% 65 watt H7, 2100 lumen
*The Osram cool blue 4000k is the euro version of the US spec Sylvania SilverStars (blue bulbs).

I would like to have money orders. If people want to do pay pal, please add 2.50 to cover their fees.

Obviously I got the first option (option 1), but option 2 could be chosen by those that want the blue color (but less light), and option 3 sounds like it might good for anyone wanting to push the wiring a bit for the extra light.

If you are interested, contact Peter at [email protected] (website - coming couple of weeks - www.mckeige.com ) and let him know that you read it on the Elise List.

I'll post pictures of the light output compared to stock when I install them (hopefully this weekend).

I actually went with option 3 and did the install the other night. The osram bulbs are brighter than stock, but I don't think they are the 50% brighter that they claim. However, when reaimed, the headlights on the car are fine. I did make the mistake of aiming them a little high and was thinking about lowering them, but as of yet no on comming traffic has brighted me back. So I just might leave them aimed high. As for the 65 watt high beams, they are significantly better than stock and do a great job of lighting the road. I can now see the deer on the side of the road as I dirve. I attempted to take before and after pictures, but I think the flash caused significant enough artifact prevent the changes from being observed.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Option 3 is the Option 1 low beam with a higher wattage high beam, right?

Did you do anything to beef up the wiring? Or is the higher wattage not a concern?

My car is sitting out the winter, so I'm not in any hurry, but I do want to do something about the lighting.

TIA, Steve

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
I would worry more about the plastic housings than the wiring capacity.

"Good engineering" says that your fuse will melt before your wires get hot. Like I found in the HID installation, the stock headlights draw 4.5A each, and the fuse will take brief spikes over 10A (but a continuous 11A would blow it).

The plastic housing, however... I'm not confident it could dissipate enough heat to handle hotter bulbs. A 50% increase in wattage could be more than it can handle, especially with the car standing still. All the metal parts are fastened to the clam, so there isn't a lot of metal there for a heat sink.

How would you test something like that?

The HIDs use 1A less than the factory halogens, and they are more efficient than heated filament, so it seems likely that they're putting out LESS heat.

·
Registered
3,827 Posts
Option 3

Steve said:
Option 3 is the Option 1 low beam with a higher wattage high beam, right?

Did you do anything to beef up the wiring? Or is the higher wattage not a concern?

My car is sitting out the winter, so I'm not in any hurry, but I do want to do something about the lighting.

TIA, Steve
Your right it's the same low beam and a 65 watt high beam in place of the stock 55 watt bulb.

As for the wiring, I drove for at least half an hour with the high beam on, the wireing can handle it and I don't see anyproblems with the plastic housing.

·
Registered
3,827 Posts
Ground Loop said:
The plastic housing, however... I'm not confident it could dissipate enough heat to handle hotter bulbs. A 50% increase in wattage could be more than it can handle, especially with the car standing still. All the metal parts are fastened to the clam, so there isn't a lot of metal there for a heat sink.

[/B]
An increase from 55 Watts to 65 Watts is a only 10% increase by my math. As for the heat, I will be keeping a close watch on the housing. No problem so far!

Also theoretically if more light is produced by a bulb with the same voltage, Amps and Watts as a stock bulb, then the brighter bulb must be cooler than the stock bulb. Because more energy is being used to create the light and less to create the heat. Simple law of physics, energy can not be created nor destroyed.
At least that's how I understand it.

·
insert clever title here
7,702 Posts
scottyb said:
An increase from 55 Watts to 65 Watts is a only 10% increase by my math.
More commonly accepted mathematical techniques would describe this as an 18% increase, actually. ;)

·
Registered
3,827 Posts
I stand corrected

MattG said:
More commonly accepted mathematical techniques would describe this as an 18% increase, actually. ;)
I stand corrected. Thank for that, simple case of typing too fast and thinking too slow!

·
Registered
387 Posts
Ground Loop, I must have missed it ... how do you like your HIDS? It would be great to have a comparison between the Osrams and a HID kit. I know its probably a lot more light, but question whether its worth the significant cost increase for a HID kit.

21 - 40 of 75 Posts