The Lotus Cars Community banner
41 - 60 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
Steve said:
Ground Loop, I must have missed it ... how do you like your HIDS? It would be great to have a comparison between the Osrams and a HID kit. I know its probably a lot more light, but question whether its worth the significant cost increase for a HID kit.
I figured if I was going to go through the trouble of changing the bulbs and realigning the lights, I might as well go all the way. The extra cost is large, but cheaper than hitting one piece of road debris. I haven't actually driven with the HIDs yet, as I'm doing some other work on the car in the garage while I have it on stands and the weather sucks.

I have seen mixed reports on Sylvania/Osram halogen upgrades, and it probably has something to do with how "bad' the stock bulbs were. I couldn't get any hard numbers or flattering pictures -- very ambiguous reports of "better" to "much better" to "not that huge". I'd love to see them in an Elise!

With any luck, I'm meeting up with a stock Elise next week and will take comparison pictures of two cars on the same road. If someone in San Diego has Osram bulbs, that would make a great 3-way comparison!

·
Registered
387 Posts
We could use a little of San Diego's lousy weather right now ... 4 inches of wet snow outside my door, and still snowing.

The upside is that I don't have to concern myself lousy headlights for a few more months :)

·
Registered
3,827 Posts
TTP said:
Is this source legit? Who has bought from him? I sent him a paypal payment on 01/06 and it still hasn't arrived. He said he uses 2-3 USPS priority. Sent him an email this morning and no reply as of yet.
I bought it from them. Very Ligit

·
Premium Member
29,081 Posts
TTP said:
Is this source legit? Who has bought from him? I sent him a paypal payment on 01/06 and it still hasn't arrived. He said he uses 2-3 USPS priority. Sent him an email this morning and no reply as of yet.
Not reason to worry.

1-6 was Thursday. If he shipped out on Friday, I would expect Priority Mail to arrive on Tuesday or Wednesday, depending on your distance.

My record for a shipment to a customer via Priority Mail was 90 days after I shipped it. :eek:

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
TTP said:
Is this source legit? Who has bought from him?
I bought from him (I'm the one that first posted the info). Good price and the bulbs arrived in a reasonable time. I waited until I received my bulbs before I posted, just to make sure things were legit. I'm happy...

No interest, yadda, yadda, yadda...

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
Wow! How's this for customer sevice? As you know yesterday I inquired about the status of the order and here's the response I just received. I guess it was good that I inquired.

Thanks Peter and I appologize for doubting. I'll take my foot out of my mouth now.

Trieu

I sincerely apologies, somehow your order never showed up/receipt for payment from pay pal. I started checking when I received your e-mail, to my surprise it had not shipped, sorry.

It was a very busy weekend, 2 very large shipments were received and somehow I missed it, very sorry.

I have enclosed 1 extra h1 svs bulb to show my gratitude for your patience.

Item was RUSHED via usps priority mail today-Wednesday 1.12.05 at 2.33 pm [delivery confirmation number 0303 0130 0003 1693 5632 ]

http://www.usps.com/shipping/trackandconfirm.htm?from=home&page=0035trackandconfirm

Thank you,

Peter

:clap:

·
Registered
486 Posts

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
JLElise said:
Tim...how difficult was it to replace and reaim / align the headlights after installing the Osram bulbs? Should I attempt to tackle it myself or have my mechanic do it??<...>Doesn't look all that difficult. Any tips or tricks that aren't mentioned??
It isn't that difficult. Getting the clips of the bulbs (tight space to get your finger into) was a bit of a pain, but patience and persistence pays off (it's not really that much of a problem). The only other difficult part I encountered was getting to the lower adjusting nut on the high beam - I had to use a GearWrench ratcheting boxed end wrench to do it simply. An open end would have worked, but would have taken more effort. I find it easier to adjust the head lights if you can park on a level surface, farther from a wall that shown in Mike's write up - it's easier to zero in with the smaller adjustments...

All in all, not difficult, think of it as a bonding opportunity with your car.

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
Have a 'lighting expert' friend who says I should let him install an HID kit that includes a mounted box of some kind. He carries the PIAA brand but showed me charts with all kinds of higher levels of lumens. The highest I saw on the chart was about 5,100 or 5,700. He claims that since my lights have a separate projector beam I am still 'street legal' with this HID kit. Should I let him do it and , if so, what amount of lumens should I say I want the lights to have? Also, is there anything else I need to be sure to make him aware of?

·
Premium Member
3,043 Posts
Buying the Bulbs..

What was the final consensus in where to buy the bulbs?

And how do they go in. Does somebody have a description of the process?

Tony V

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
Ridgemanron said:
Have a 'lighting expert' friend who says I should let him install an HID kit that includes a mounted box of some kind.
That's the ballast/ignitor (sometimes together, sometimes two boxes). Every HID kit has one.

He carries the PIAA brand but showed me charts with all kinds of higher levels of lumens. The highest I saw on the chart was about 5,100 or 5,700. He claims that since my lights have a separate projector beam I am still 'street legal' with this HID kit.
Regrettably, he's wrong. If your car didn't have a factory HID option, you can not (as owner) ever add one. The law is pretty rediculous and overreaching, but the intent is to keep people from sticking HID bulbs into their stock reflector housings.

The true part is that it won't cause any extra light bleed on our fine projector setups. Nobody would say you have scattering/blinding lights, so long as they are aimed correctly. Projector lenses really lend themselves to an easy and accurate HID upgrade.

Should I let him do it and , if so, what amount of lumens should I say I want the lights to have? Also, is there anything else I need to be sure to make him aware of?
I didn't know there was a wide variety of "lumen" output from different bulbs. In practice, they all seem just about the same.

At the extreme end, I suppose if you had way too much light, it would make it hard for your eyes to see into the unlit areas at night, since the headlight spread would be so freeking bright as to constrict your pupils. Our projectors have a very tight cutoff between "lit" and "unllit" areas.

He might be talking about the color temperature, or blue tint -- which is entirely your preference. Do know that all the OEM lights tend toward the non-blue colors, around 4-5K, so if you pick a purple (6k+) one, your car will stand out as an aftermarket hack.

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 ·
tvacc said:
What was the final consensus in where to buy the bulbs?
Tony,

Did you finally get an Elise?

Which bulbs are you asking about - standard ones, or aftermarket HID conversion kits? The Standard bulbs are installed by removing a panel in the wheel well liner (turn the wheel "in" and you will find three screws (two are plastic screws if I remember correctly). Removing the panel give access to the three Allen head bolts that hold the headlight cover on from below. Remove the three all heads and you can lift up and forward on the cover from the top of the light assembly. Then you can see the bulbs that need to be replaced. As for where to get replacement bulbs - the first post in this thread is a good source - several people have reported the service to be good (me included), and it was the best price I could find for the Osram SilverStars.

There are two or three write ups around this site (or references to another web site) with pictures.

The other thing you may want to do is get a "one day subscription" to download the Elise (and Esprit) manuals from the Lotus US web site ($25) - this will give your a copy of the factory Service Manual (without the Toyota Engine and Transmission manuals). The manuals have lots of info...

If you were asking about how to install an HID kit, there's a "how-to" about that somewhere around here too...

·
Registered
486 Posts
Update

Well...knowing I was bringing my Elise in for warranty service for the shifter recall and plastic "rings" for the headlamps, I decided at the last minute to order Osram SilverStar bulbs from McKeige. I placed the order online on Tuesday then realized I needed to have them overnighted to me for installation on Thursday.

I EMailed Peter at McKeige who replied back exceptionally fast. I spoke to him on the phone and he told me no problem in getting them in the mail next day USPS. They were received on Wednesday morning, in perfect shape, packed very well.

Hats off to Peter at McKeige for his quick turn around and great customer service.

No vested interest here...just thought I'd share my good experience with McKeige. Oh, the SilverStar +50% are somewhat brighter. Worth the upgrade if you don't want to go the HID route.

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Great to Deal With

I contacted Peter at McKeige concerning the lights. He answered me right away with availability and pricing. I got a set of the H1 and H7s, Osram SilverStar +50.

I placed my order on Thursday afternoon and the bulbs showed up yesterday, Tuesday. Wonderfully packed, no damage. :)

Thanks Peter. :clap:

I will install them tonight, using the aluminum headlight rings I got from Ivan yesterday as well.

Wayne

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
waydui said:
I contacted Peter at McKeige concerning the lights. He answered me right away with availability and pricing. I got a set of the H1 and H7s, Osram SilverStar +50.
:up: :up:

I also got my bulbs from peter and was pleased with the purchase and service!

Sean

·
Registered
418 Posts
I got my bulbs here:

http://www.powerbulbs.co.uk/

Prices are similar to what McKeige has for the Osrams (depending on the exchange rate on any given day). The bulbs are shipped from the UK and shipping is included in the price. Mine came in six days. They also have the Philips Vision Plus (+50) bulbs which Auto Express rated slightly better than the Osrams. The Philips bulbs cost a couple buck more, though.

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Installed my Osram SilverStar +50 bulbs last night, H1 & H7.

Changing the bulbs was a little bit of a PITA. Tight quarters to work in, clips get in the way, but with patience it's not too bad.

Results well worth the effort. Light is both much brighter and seems to project farther down the road. I feel a lot safer with these lights. :up:

Wayne

·
Registered
5,188 Posts
Anyone try McKeige in the last few days? Their shopping cart is not working for me. Will try in the morning or call them.

41 - 60 of 75 Posts