The Lotus Cars Community banner
61 - 75 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
I am thinking of getting the high beam version (H1 or H7?). The website on post #1 is no longer available. Anyone know where to buy one?

I also want to get the bright one but compromising the electrical (without burning the wire or anything as I dont want any electrical problem in my car), so I would assume option #1 is for me

Thanks.

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #65 ·
gameson said:
Thanks, Spudboy for the link. So which one is the high beam one?
The high beam are H7 bulbs. The low beams are H1...

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Try these....

Go to DanielSternLighting. Order a pair of the 65W Osram Ultra High Output lamps. They are extremely-white, 2100 lumen H9 burners on H7 bases :crazyeyes . I doubt there's anything better this side of HID. I've been burning them for nine months--no down side ....well, a little pricey (but worth it!)

-Michael
'05 Nightfall Blue

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #67 ·
An update to the original post in this thread.

Peter now has new email addresses to contact him at if you are interested in ordering light bulbs. You can contact him now at: [email protected] or [email protected]

I discovered this when I attempted to order new bulbs for my wife's Accord and didn't here back from him for a few weeks. Once I used the new address, I had the same prompt service .

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Tim, I tried sending an email to the 2 address's and it came back as not found. Do you have updated contact information?

TimMullen said:
An update to the original post in this thread.

Peter now has new email addresses to contact him at if you are interested in ordering light bulbs. You can contact him now at: [email protected] or [email protected]

I discovered this when I attempted to order new bulbs for my wife's Accord and didn't here back from him for a few weeks. Once I used the new address, I had the same prompt service .

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #69 ·
Win said:
Tim, I tried sending an email to the 2 address's and it came back as not found. Do you have updated contact information?
I have no new address for Peter - I used one of them a couple of months ago to buy new bulbs for another car and it worked then. :shrug:

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Ebay

I checked on Ebay and Peter is still there fyi. I ordered the H1 and H7 bulbs from him using Paypal. They are much cheaper than the comparable PIAA bulbs and have 55watt current draw, so no issues with the wiring. It will be nice to have the headlights working the way they should... the heck with the DOT waiver thing, I need to be able to see! (already had some run-ins with pedestrians crossing a 35mph road at night and not seeing them till they were VERY close)

I will take some before and after shots of the lights and the beam patterns to see if there is a difference. It is certainly a low-cost test.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Forgot to take photos of the light beam pattern, but the bulbs came this evening and I installed them. Removing the headlight covers wasn't too tricky, and I was able to do it without removing the wheels. The Osram bulbs work well. I still need to adjust the high beams up a little more. The low beams were practically pointing at the ground! Now I can see much farther ahead, and the low beam shutter means that street signs are illuminated as well, which is pretty neat.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Peter's updated email is [email protected]. When installing the H1 and H7 bulbs, do I have to re-align both headlights?

Thanks!

Eric

05 Lotus Elise - sport + touring

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #74 ·
Peter's updated email is [email protected]. When installing the H1 and H7 bulbs, do I have to re-align both headlights?
Yes, if only because they are all adjusted poorly.

Also consider that the factory has to aim the headlights with the full weight capacity in the boot, which tends to point the front of the car up a bit. So, if you are going to drive around with an empty boot, adjust your lights up a bit.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I ordered the H1 and H7 bulbs from Peter on Wednesday and they arrived Saturday. So I had time today (Sunday) to get them installed. It took 1.5 hours from start to finish. I took a couple pictures and will quickly go over the steps.

1.) If you are comfortable with replacing the bulbs by turning your tires, good luck. I felt much more comfortable putting my car on stands.

(kind of scary seeing your car so high off the ground)

2.) Remove the tires. Remove the wheel well liner. There is a screw at the top and 2 plastic screws on the bottom.

3.) Remove the 3 allen screws holding the headlamp cover.

4.) The head cover comes off pretty easily now (simply pulled from the top without any difficulty). Here is a quick breakdown of the bulb locations:

5.) Replace desired bulbs. The low beam was not too difficult, but the high beam was a little trickier. For the low beam, squeeze the clamp together and remove. Remove the earth and power wires to get to the bulb easier. Make sure you use latex gloves when replacing the bulbs. For the high beam, there is a different type of clamp. Squeeze the clamp together and pull it to the opposite side. It takes a little while to get the bulb out by moving everything around. My neighbor helped me install the bulbs, so I held the bulb securely from the outside while he secured the clamp. If you have a second person, it saves a few more minutes (Thank you Clive for you help!!).

After everything was said and done, the new bulbs are much brighter than the previous ones that were in there (believe OSRAM but not +50% OSRAM). The high beams are blinding. It's great!

The low beams are not quite level, but they are close enough for me. I don't drive the car at night often. Plus, I live in Houston where every highway is always lit up like a Christmas tree.

The high beams look pretty level.

Cheers!

Eric

61 - 75 of 75 Posts