The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just read on a bottle of Royal Purple radiator treatment (their version of Water Wetter) that you should NOT use distilled water in an aluminum radiator. This is a little disturbing in that I just installed a Proalloy chargecooler that comes with an aluminum heat exchanger as well as an aluminum radiator to replace the oem Lotus radiator and I've got them filled to the brim with distilled water. Has anyone ever heard of this? Seems wierd in that distilled water which is basicly pure would cause corrosion (assuming that's the issue) and "regular" water would not?

·
Inactive
831 Posts
It's the other way around - it is the ionic content of water which promotes corrosion and the mineral content creating scale and reducing heat transfer. Perhaps they made a mistake on the label.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's the other way around - it is the ionic content of water which promotes corrosion and the mineral content creating scale and reducing heat transfer. Perhaps they made a mistake on the label.
No, it's on thier website as well. Bizarre.

·
Registered
271 Posts
I saw that same thing when I bought that product. I wound up just adding it to the existing coolant in my s2000 and it has been working fine for months.

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Sacrificial Anode should work...
When running an aluminum radiator or any aluminum parts in contact with the water, make sure to run a sacrificial anode (usually zinc) to prevent the electro-displacement of the aluminum. This will save the aluminum parts, in short something like this...

Radiator Caps - Accessories - Aftermarket Auto Parts - MODsearch.com

·
Premium Member
1,371 Posts
fos distilled water with water wetter or the like is awsome. I put in a fluidine radiator when I moved to florida in the eclipse and my temps went down 20 degrees. Any chemist or physicist knows ions are only soulutes in the water!

·
Registered
2,923 Posts
FWIW, the Havoline DEX-COOL XLC back label says to mix it with tap water. :shrug:

If in doubt, if you look hard enough you might find the prediluted XLC 50/50 mix which would negate the need to add water. According to Havoline, the 50/50 mix uses deionized water. DI and distilled water are not the same, but I think the difference is subtle.

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
I would advise against putting Dex-cool(aka Death-cool) in any vehicle you dont want catastrophic engine failure in...

just saying

·
Registered
2,376 Posts
I've heard some bad things about water wetter as to issues of some type.

I always use distilled, but I plan to switch to Evans.
No water.

·
Registered
2,923 Posts
I would advise against putting Dex-cool(aka Death-cool) in any vehicle you dont want catastrophic engine failure in...
:confused:

Isn't that the factory recommended replacement anti-freeze per the owners manual? Havoline Extended Life Coolant, aka XLC?

·
Registered
1,478 Posts

just saying
Yes, why in god's name would you use Dex-Cool? It will degrade the seals/gaskets in your engine if it's not designed for it.

Also it won't hurt an engine designed for dex-cool to run normal coolant.

·
Registered
648 Posts
I perfer not to use a "water" wetter. The concept just doesn't float well with me. For coolant I like Toyota Red for my MR2's and plan to use it on the Elise. That and I use just pain simple distilled water. Tap water corrodes the cooling system.

·
Registered
583 Posts
you should never run 'plain' water distilled or otherwise...

you should always include a corrosion inhibitor, like anti-freeze or equivalent.

water is an electrolite, you need to add something to counter this.

·
Registered
9,294 Posts

just saying
:confused:

Isn't that the factory recommended replacement anti-freeze per the owners manual? Havoline Extended Life Coolant, aka XLC?
Yes, why in god's name would you use Dex-Cool? It will degrade the seals/gaskets in your engine if it's not designed for it.

Also it won't hurt an engine designed for dex-cool to run normal coolant.
This has been discussed here multiple times before.

Here's a decent thread on it: http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f101/engine-coolant-questions-59459/

·
Registered
188 Posts
Proalloy Coolant

A bit of thread necro, but I hate starting new threads :rolleyes:

I think the thread strayed somewhat from the OP's question.. I'm looking to add coolant or flush the proalloy chargecooler, and I can't find any info here or even at the Proalloy website nor Sector's, for what "formula" is recommended..

I think OP had his car for sale recently, so I don't know if he is here anymore and I think BB has one of these, but I can't think of anyone else off the top of my head.. Can anyone chime in?

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
A bit of thread necro, but I hate starting new threads :rolleyes:

I think the thread strayed somewhat from the OP's question.. I'm looking to add coolant or flush the proalloy chargecooler, and I can't find any info here or even at the Proalloy website nor Sector's, for what "formula" is recommended..

I think OP had his car for sale recently, so I don't know if he is here anymore and I think BB has one of these, but I can't think of anyone else off the top of my head.. Can anyone chime in?
I'm still here but never got an answer that all agreed on. Still running distilled water with water wetter. No issues yet.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Thanks for the update, glad you're still here. I sent off an email to ProAlloy and a phone call to Shinoo, but neither replied yet.

I know this is dumb, but assuming you fill up where red arrow points? Impossible to see in the can to see how much is in there now..

Attachments

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yup, that's it. I haven't looked in there for a while but don't understand why you wouldn't be able to see the water line. Is there a baffle in there that blocks your view?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts