The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Replaced the air filter yesterday - it was quite the job. I'm sure I'll be a little faster next time, but still, the lack of room to pull the top of the filter box off is ridiculous.

Tools needed (or at least what I used):
  • Long, thin, flat head screwdriver
  • 10mm socket and drive (think that was it - it may be a bit larger or smaller)
  • Phillips head screwdriver or socket to fit hose clamps on air box
  • Lots of patience
  • Small arms
  • Air filter element - Toyota part # 17801-31120 or I used an STP SA10169.

1. Disconnect the MAF and loosen both hose clamps on the airbox.

2. Use your socket wrench to remove the lateral bar that holds the engine cover on. The passenger side has 1 bolt, the driver side has 2. This allowed me room to wiggle the top of the airbox out.

3, Remove the 2 vacuum lines on the airbox. These just pull off.

4. Take the air hose off the airbox. I just wiggled it until it was off and I did NOT take the section of the air hose off. By loosening both ends of it though you can twist it a little to get the gigantic plastic piece in the middle out of the way. Also remove the large recirculation hose shown in the bottom right of the photo.

5. There are 3 clamps on the airbox, 1 you can see on the right side towards the firewall. The other 2 are on the fender side of the car and you have to reach around to unclip. I found it helpful to actually kneel in the trunk rather than leaning all the way over it. People with larger frames, sorry, but probably not an option.

6. The PITA were the 2 "T" clips that are on the side with no clips. These need to be pushed down and then slid out. With the air hose off the box, you can use a long thin flat head screwdriver to help pry the "T" clips out. Be patient and wiggle a lot, take a break if you need to.

7. Success! It's ALL loose - no hoses holding it, no clamps, and no "T" clips. Alas, you are not home free. Now you have to remove it. Wiggle it towards the front of the car (now that the bar the engine cover attaches to is off it will help a LOT) and rotate the stock air hose to help give you some room. Patience and wiggling is all you need. Eventually you'll get it out.

8. Install the new filter and then reverse the process.

Not sure why they could not have given just a LITTLE more room to get the box out. And, I'm not sure how much removing the tire and wheel liner helps you as I didn't do that either. Be sure to connect all the vacuum hoses and tighten the air hose clamps.

Hope this helps some people - due to the rarity of the Evora I've had a hard time much DIY info.

I rate the difficulty of this at 2 beers, One to get it the damn thing out, one to get it back in.

Reactions: cfg_77

·
Registered
857 Posts
This DIY will people helpful to many in the future. Thank you for making it. If you think that was frustrating, try taking the darn thing apart and removing it to install a CAI.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Big help. Thanks. Purchased a Purolator filter yesterday for $13.00 w/ a $2.00 rebate. I'm not cheap, just know the difference in Lotus costed parts. Thanks again for the pics.

·
Premium Member
7,540 Posts
You made that far too complicated.

Step 1. Remove stock airbox--->DISCARD

Step 2. Install BOE CAI in time it takes you to change your filter alone.

Step 3. Listen to the symphony freshly tuned

·
Registered
79 Posts
I'm glad my old car is turning into a DIY instruction book for everyone. Hope its been good to you so far!

·
Registered
256 Posts
Nice job, James - and thanks for putting that together and providing all the details and pics. Another thread to subscribe to and keep handy for an upcoming DIY job.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm glad my old car is turning into a DIY instruction book for everyone. Hope its been good to you so far!
Yes! It's an awesome car. I have all the fluids and filters changed so I plan on driving the heck out of it now. Thanks again!

James

·
Premium Member
7,540 Posts
BTW Aquamarine/Oyster is stunning!

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks! In love with the color combination.

·
Premium Member
7,540 Posts
:evil:BTW not remotely busting you, but considering your DIY persona, mods are a natural.......the car REALLY likes to breath better. Intake alone is good for !10+ HP and with exhaust, 20HP is quite a COMMON FINDING. Then you'll love it even more and cause whiplash to folks passing by...:evil:

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I already have the Plack Exhaust. It's about as loud as I want to get. LOL. It sounds amazing though. Does the BOE have any issues? i.e. CELs? Do I have to do any hacks to wiring or hoses or is it a strictly plug and play install? And is the filter easily available to replace or is it a special order item? And last, does it add THAT much to the sound?

Thanks!
James

·
Registered
456 Posts
Thanks for the great write up. I will definitely reference this when I need to change the air filter.

·
Illegal Alien
5,306 Posts
I already have the Plack Exhaust. It's about as loud as I want to get. LOL. It sounds amazing though. Does the BOE have any issues? i.e. CELs? Do I have to do any hacks to wiring or hoses or is it a strictly plug and play install? And is the filter easily available to replace or is it a special order item? And last, does it add THAT much to the sound?

Thanks!
James
No CELs, yes those hoses you pulled from the airbox lid need to be recombined, and a solenoid moved, but it's a lone time deal not each time you replace/clean your filter. Tones are not added, but sound level is not cumulative so the BOE CAI is a nice addition. Drops a few pounds and let's you see that the car has a transaxle. Check out the "BOE Evora CAI" thread and order the parts, you will enjoy.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yes, the floor epoxy is very similar to the car color. Lol. I did the floor only with the intention of liking the color. The car matching was a bonus.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
2013 Evora S since 11/13
243 Posts
Just out of curiosity, have others done the "remove the wheel" version of this and can compare to the "from the top wiggle, wiggle" version?

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Have never removed the wheel. I actually jump in the trunk, kneel , then reach back there and can get to it fairly easily. However, I do it quite often as I have a spare k&n and religiously swap out every 5k.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
+1 to kneeling in the trunk. I really don't think you could get it out via the wheel arch. I believe it's to allow easier access to the 2 clamps that are on that side of the air box.

James

1 - 20 of 33 Posts