The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sector Ultra Discs and Pagids came in, Anyone got instructions on how to do the fronts? Doing it myself.

·
Registered
803 Posts
search is your friend...

While you may get some people to help you, I will be surprised if the answers you get will be as in depth as the ones that were provided when this forum was new. So, if you want a complete tutorial or references to the service manual, I suggest a search.

I know because I did do such a tutorial and it is mentioned some where... he says with a smile...

Michael

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
Didnt Rich do a writeup on the rear brakes?

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I tried a ton of different searches and turned up nothing :( Any keywords you could suggest?

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
NM just found your site, Its awesome thanks!

·
Banned
7,592 Posts
rotors:
After taking the two allen bolts out to release the caliper, remove the locking screw from the rotor. I would spray some Kroil or PB Blaster on it and come back to it a little bit. Then give the 4mm allen key a sharp tap to shock the no doubt partially stuck screw out without stripping or breaking it. That's it, it comes right off. Just did brakes a couple days ago, if you have any questions just drop me a line or call me and I'll walk you through it.

For the rears you have to get that "rod" out that holds the pads in. Tap it from the backside towards you. Pull it out. Then take a 17MM wrench and loosen the only 17MM bolt at the top of the back of the caliper. Rock the caliper back and again you are in business. One of the easiest cars to do brakes on I've ever seen. If you don't have anything small enough to tap that part out of the back of the rear caliper than grab it in the middle with a pair of pliers and tap them to move it out towards you.

Michael's SandsMuseum website is also quite awesome. I'll admit I took a look at it before doing my brakes even though I had done them before. Awesome reference with service manual pics and everything: http://www.sandsmuseum.com/cars/elise/experience/maintenance/newpads/index.html

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Got the caliper off no problem, But I stripped the damn screw on the front of the rotor.
Any suggestions? Tried wd40 to loosen it. Obviously didnt work ..

·
Registered
9,297 Posts
Bolt extractor.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Sounds like you need to drill the head of the screw off.
Get some vice grips on the rest of the screw, back it out and replace it with a new one.

·
Registered
9,294 Posts
FWIW, I've never had any luck with WD40 for loosening anything. It does a great job of displacing water however.

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Had to drill them both out, But I found matching replacements at Home Depot. Overall it is so easy to do a brake job on these cars... The rotors look great! I am going to do rears soon too.
Incase anyone messes theirs up too, Its a 6mm metric screw.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Are you suppose to use a C-clamp to push the pistons back into the caliper?

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I used a screwdriver lol, Dosent take much force though.

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
Tried wd40 to loosen it. Obviously didnt work ..
PB Blaster
FWIW, I've never had any luck with WD40 for loosening anything. It does a great job of displacing water however.
Throw away the WD-40 and the PB Blaster (and the Liquid Wrench too).

Order some Kroil (www.kanolabs.com). The stuff works. It works in places that nothing else works. Seriously.

I was one of those people that never believed the claims, but finally, after many years, broke down and bought some. Then I kicked myself, and I literally threw away all the other cans of WD-40, PB Blaster, Liquid Wrench, and a few others that I had tried. The stuff really does work.

·
Registered
803 Posts
second the recommendation for Kroil

I restore antique coin operated games. I focus on the ones made between 1930 and 1960. I see many frozen assemblies, frozen because of corrosion, poor assembly techniques, electronic interactions, and good old rust. (Yes, the latter is a combination of all the others...)

I use Kroil and have been for years. It is a miracle sometimes how easily things come apart. You do need to apply it and let it sit. It sometimes helps to knock it a bit with a brass hammer.

Good stuff...

Michael

·
Registered
77 Posts
I have an issue....replacing the pads and the front was a piece of cake. The rear seems simple but I cant get the caliper to "rotate up and and back" per the instructions. Yes I took the bolt out but I wonder if the other bolt holding the caliper on is too tight and not allowing it to tilt or the pads are tight on the rotor?
Help is appreciated as I go cleanup and await some additional info.

Thanks.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts