The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Merry Xmas and happy holidays!

I'm so excited to share the DIY project I just completed for my beloved 111R Elise as she is almost 10 years. I feel I owe to prepare some special gifts for her. I personally prefer mods without altering the original design or parts...so here comes the "removable digital dashboard". This is an Android app so it can essentially be used in any car (I use this on my GLC43/C350 as well and it works great on a cellphone mount) :cool:

It seems I can't post youtube video here... but if you search "aburastar digital dashboard" it shall show up youtube video as well as the App web (with detail SPEC - that many Lotus drivers ncluding me, are interested to see). Here are some pics of how this looks on my Lotus Elise. Cheers.

And I know I ain't good at driving as the 0-60mph test run result (showing in the video I took myself driving) is so bad... You guys/gals can beat me easily for sure lol

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Nice job... Love to see innovation. As far as posting a link to the video, you should be able to use the "link" icon in the bottom of the text input box here. It looks like 2 links in a chain. I have done the same in the past.
Here is the link to Your page
Here is the link to Your Video

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
I did a similar mod but made it removable and maintained the original dash. It uses Torque Pro for Android. I can even use google maps and watch videos too!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Nice job... Love to see innovation. As far as posting a link to the video, you should be able to use the "link" icon in the bottom of the text input box here. It looks like 2 links in a chain. I have done the same in the past.
Here is the link to Your page
Here is the link to Your Video
Cool! Thanks for the tips about adding the link!

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
I am going to check out your app. Is there a way to do customization to the screens or is it hard coded?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I am going to check out your app. Is there a way to do customization to the screens or is it hard coded?
The data and display arrangement (font size/color/layout/presentation) are hardcoded. Each mode has its theme purpose with a specific color scheme and layout. I then trial-n-tuned on the road with my Lotus for a couple of months (so it covers rainy, sunny, morning and night... lol). But yeah, I definitely welcome and appreciate your comments! Thx.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Is the original gauge cluster under this, or did you remove it? I have considered doing the same thing using the torque app and making a removable housing that went on top of original cluster.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Is the original gauge cluster under this, or did you remove it? I have considered doing the same thing using the torque app and making a removable housing that went on top of original cluster.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
The original dash is still there! I was also thinking of use torque...but I personally feel their color scheme and presentation is not my cup of tea. As an engineer, I can't help but design and build one from scratch myself so each mode, each function, and presentation serve their purpose correctly. And the best part is I can record the best 0-60, max. speed, max RPM for later reference :)

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
I just noticed the shift position indicator. How did you achieve that? Did you put microswitches into the shifter mechanism? The ECU does not have that as a parameter, or does it?

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Nice! I will have to try it!
Merry Christmas!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
the ecu does output estimated gear: obd mode 0x22, pid 0x20C. but you can also just build your own estimation table based on the vehicle speed to engine speed ratio.
I use the calculation method as the standard OBD2 spec states the PID=0xA4 (in the mode 0x01; current data) doesn't work. I didn't know Lotus ecu use 0x22/0x20c for gear!! Wow... Thanks! And I originally designed this APP as generic so other cars can use it so I only use the standard service-one (mode 0x01) commands. Ends up I still split the app to three flavors and has the Lotus 111R as special version lol

Honestly, I find the app is useful in my C350 and GLC43 as the phone will be in a phone mount and the speed alert or the 0-60mph completion sound can be heard. My Lotus is simply too loud lol

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I know our Lotus is for twisty mountain road :) but does anyone time their 0-60mph run? Theoretically, my app shall time the 0-60mph (96km/h) or 0-100km/h pretty accurate as the speed data comes to ECU. I can't believe my 0-60mph score is so bad...lol

What number you guys able to achieve for the simple 0-60mph (or 0-100km/h)?

·
Registered
210 Posts
Thanks for your app. I made a dash from an old Samsung phone and I think it look very good and works great. And you can not complain about the cost.
dash.jpg

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks for your app. I made a dash from an old Samsung phone and I think it look very good and works great. And you can not complain about the cost. View attachment 1256910
It's great that you like the app and thanks for the compliments!

As documented in the App's web page (SPEC table), the "throttle position" data is a "relative" throttle position. It may NOT show 100% even when you floor the gas pedal. However, there is a hidden mode to calibrate the throttle position so it shows 99%-100% when you floor the gas padel - if you prefer the throttle position to reflect the "gas pedal"

You can activate this (hidden) calibration mode from the "Trip Summary" mode and touch the "M. Throttle". The calibration process requires the driver to floor the gas pedal for consecutive 3 seconds. You have to be very cautious and you are certainly 100% responsible for conducting this calibration. After calibration completes, the throttle position shall show 0~99% to reflect the "pedal" position (for this car). If you use the same phone/same app in another car, the calibration has to be done for that other car. The app will memorize the calibration data - so you only need to do it once if you use the same phone/same app in the same car.

What I did to calibrate for my own Elise is shifting to 6th gear around 40 mph driving on the open and straight highway and floor the gas pedal for 3~4 seconds (the app will tell you when it finishes calibration). The car shall not go too fast in such a situation. Note: you (or whoever the driver) are fully on your own responsibility to use this. (PLEASE OBEY ALL TRAFFIC RULES)

Enjoy :)

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Any details on how you wired the power?
I see the question is for gtlotus and we definitely welcome gtlotus's comments :)

For me, I actually pull out the stereo uint and attach a +12V to the ACC wire - so I now have a "regular" +12V cigarette outlet (cuts the power when you pull the key out) instead of our Lotus "always ON" cigarette outlet. Then use a simple 12V to USB plug to supply my android dash the power when the car key inserted and turned on. I simply turn off the app (touch the "OFF" at lower corner ), turn off the engine, and pull the key away....then the power supply is cut so the phone will go to sleep mode with a black screen after a few seconds. And when I come back to my Elise, I insert the key, turn the power on, the phone will be wake up and I unlock the screen, touch the ADD-111R (or ADD-PRO) icon, the app starts :)

1 - 20 of 34 Posts