The Lotus Cars Community banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
The Man
118 Posts
I see the question is for gtlotus and we definitely welcome gtlotus's comments :)

For me, I actually pull out the stereo uint and attach a +12V to the ACC wire - so I now have a "regular" +12V cigarette outlet (cuts the power when you pull the key out) instead of our Lotus "always ON" cigarette outlet. Then use a simple 12V to USB plug to supply my android dash the power when the car key inserted and turned on. I simply turn off the app (touch the "OFF" at lower corner ), turn off the engine, and pull the key away....then the power supply is cut so the phone will go to sleep mode with a black screen after a few seconds. And when I come back to my Elise, I insert the key, turn the power on, the phone will be wake up and I unlock the screen, touch the ADD-111R (or ADD-PRO) icon, the app starts :)
Thanks for the info. I did something similar in my other car.

Are you using the app with one of those "fast" (read: expensive) obd2 dongles like or just a generic one? Can the generic ones read fast enough to be plotting so many things?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Thanks for the info. I did something similar in my other car.

Are you using the app with one of those "fast" (read: expensive) obd2 dongles like or just a generic one? Can the generic ones read fast enough to be plotting so many things?
The ADD-111R, ADD-PRO, and ADD-LITE do NOT need any fancy or expensive obd2 dongle. These apps are designed and crafted around the cheap ELM327 Bluetooth OBD2 dongle in the first place. And I spend quite some effort tuning the software performance and efficiency :)

I use a dirt-cheap (~$12) obd2 dongle on my Elise and running the most complex ADD-111R. I personally feel the data/screen refreshing rate is pretty OK in the "Normal" mode where it has most data displayed. And I prefer the one with a power switch so I can leave it plugged and just turn it off when I leave the car. (see below pictures of my obd2 dongle; you can get such cheap OBD2 from Amazon easily/quickly)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Pardon my childish :) but anyone also finds (feels) that proper tire pressure does improve the 0-60mph run?? I used to get 6+ seconds when I shooting the video for the ADD-111R app earlier...but now I get 5.699 seconds after I found my tires dropped to ~22psi and I properly correct the tire pressure to 26F/29R! I bet many of you more experienced guys can easily get the factory claimed 4.9 seconds from their beloved Elise, right?!

·
Registered
39 Posts
I bet you just launched a little more aggressively;)
Thanks for coming up with that app, I downloaded it, bought a cheap android phone and built a little mount for it. I've got a grand total of $110.00 in it, it seems to work nicely and is removable in just seconds. It would be nice to have a different page with different fields though (intake air temp, oil temp, etc)
I recessed the phone in the mount , it's held in with a magnet and have a couple of pieces of double side tape to hold the mount to the dash (and keep it away from the dash so it doesn't scratch it)
I like it, my wife hates it, it must be good ;)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
First of all, thanks for trying out my app! And your installation looks pretty clean(y)

I designed the ADD-111R (and ADD-PRO or LITE) towards a digital instrument panel more than a tuning tool. So I try to squeeze in most of the common data that drivers really need to see/use frequently - such as RPM, speed, coolant, fuel, throttle...etc into the default normal mode. While other modes are designed to suit better driving needs. I skipped other tuning or diagnostic data (MAF, intake air...) as I thought these are rarely used during the driving. And most of the drivers (me included) don't even know what are those data for :)

But frankly - I do think "Oil temp" is one important data. My GLC43 coupe place the oil temp and gearbox temp on the 1st page of the "AMG" mode. To me, that is useful as I usually flip thru the GLC43 menu to check tire pressure and then set to this "oil temp + gearbox temp" page when I drive off the garage. I will try to make sure the oil temp / gearbox temp reaches normal operating range before any spirited drive :)

However, our Lotus ECU seems not to support the oil temp (no such sensor data), let along with the gearbox temp. If anyone knows the special ECU code for the oil temp, please kindly share it!

However-however, thanks to @Obeisance, I seem to be able to use 111R special ECU command to get the TPMS support! This was when I accidentally find my tires drop to ~22psi (though the original dash dashboard is not yet thrown the TPMS fault) - it motivated me to add the TPMS (see below pictures - it works on my 2010 Elise). It's still under testing and I'll be travel in a few weeks. I'll try to update the ADD-111R app on the Google Play Store once I come back from my trip. Please stay tuned.

·
Plural of Lotus is Lotus
259 Posts
Elisa has no oil temp gauge. Its VERY important to monitor though as jumping on the fun cam before oil is up to temp is problematic.

Install one on an aftermarket oil pan or into a sandwich plate (Mishimoto) and dont hit the high cam until oil is at LEAST 180 degrees f.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Elise/Exige folks - the ADD-111R app is updated to version 2.0 available on google play now. It has the following new features and enhancements! Check it out.

1. Supports TPMS now - the ADD-111R will throw a warning (orange color TPMS icon) if any of your tires drops > ~25% of OEM recommended inflation pressure. (Front=26 psi / Rear=29 psi). You can also touch the TPMS to see each individual tire pressure. NOTE: I calibrate the individual tire measurement data based on my own 2010 Elise and my own digital air pump. The PSI data may not be super precise and you may see some delta on any other tire pressure gauge. That's why I use "~=" for displaying each individual tire pressure. The main purpose is to tell you WHICH tire throws you the orange TPMS warning (for quick reference).

2. Supports CHECK ENGINE now - the ADD-111R will throw an orange CHECK ENGINE icon if the car's ECU reports MIL error.

3. The gear data is now directly retrieved from ECU and displayed without filtering during gear-shift or car gliding. Gear data truthfully reflects the "engaged" gear. Since the ECU (still) calculates the gear so you may see the gear data shown something like "3-N-2-N-1-N..." when you shift to N and glide to the red light. Or "4-N-5-3" when you downshift relaxing (slow) from 4 --> 3. I decide not to filter these "in-transit" info...as for the pro / semi-pro drivers, they surely shift cleanly and promptly (not like me...lol). In their case, they get the benefit of seeing the faster refreshing rate (compared to the previous V1.0 version) and truthful ECU gear data.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts