The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
likes to drive fast
1,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, hopefully this thread will start the ball rolling on the simple fixes to annoying rattles or creaking etc. I managed to fix most of the annoyances in my Elige so here's my humble attempt at the Evora

PLEASE NOTE: I am not liable for your DIY. Do this at your own risk. Just take care of yourself when you work on an automobile.

Problem 1: The first is the door pin that rattles against the support. The pin and the support are both aluminum. And the pin doesn't really hold still. You get the picture. If you wriggle it, chances are it will hit the support.

Fix 1: Thin foam or cloth tape. Make sure to pull up the pin. Remove the pin by unscrewing it. Might take a while. Once removed, cut small pieces of tape and stick them to the inner side walls of the support. Replace the pin. Done.

Problem 2: Creaking in the door panel. You push on the trim feature strip area and it creaks. Very annoying.

Fix 2: Thin foam tape. I used 1/8" thick neoprene. Cut a small strip. Line it up between the door panel and the door frame, and slide it in. The finished fix looks OEM and no more creaks!

Thank you for looking. Constructive comments welcomed. :clap:

·
Registered
7,326 Posts
Nice thread.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Thanks for the tips. I will check mine. Love the DIY posts.. :clap:

·
Premium Member
1,404 Posts
Nice thread. Here is my addition: Reverse Lock-Out ring.

Both the Ring and the gearknob underide are made of aluminium and, similar to the door knob, like t rattle against each other, especcially when changing gears.

Solution:
1) Remove the gear knob (FIrst remove the Lotus labe, then the hex nut below, then lift the knob and unscrew the inner piece.
2) Wrap several layers of tape around the reverse lock-out ring, reducing play and preventing the metal-etal contact.
3) Reinstall knob.

·
likes to drive fast
1,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
All, thanks for the replies. I just found and fixed another creak. Will post soon.

Nice thread. Here is my addition: Reverse Lock-Out ring.

Both the Ring and the gearknob underide are made of aluminium and, similar to the door knob, like t rattle against each other, especcially when changing gears.

Solution:
1) Remove the gear knob (FIrst remove the Lotus labe, then the hex nut below, then lift the knob and unscrew the inner piece.
2) Wrap several layers of tape around the reverse lock-out ring, reducing play and preventing the metal-etal contact.
3) Reinstall knob.

Good one, tbd! I was just thinking about that. It does get a little clanky, doesn't it?

Also, another project I am planning on tackling, the clanky clicks of the e-brake when you engage it.

·
Registered
5,709 Posts
perhaps I am deaf but I haven't heard any rattling from the gear knob. I will keep my ears open for it.. thank you for sharing, Thomas ... We should always appreciate owners relay such info to other owners. :)

·
Registered
40 Posts
Hi Squidward, it's not a rattle sound, it's everytime you change gear, that too alloy pieces enters in contact and makes a noise. If you don't have it, maybe it's been enhanced on the version you have!

·
Registered
5,709 Posts
Hi Squidward, it's not a rattle sound, it's everytime you change gear, that too alloy pieces enters in contact and makes a noise. If you don't have it, maybe it's been enhanced on the version you have!
Perhaps. My shift knob was one of the dozen or more replacement parts I've had installed over the years.

It doesn't rattle but the sleeve button action is no longer smooth feeling. I guess you can't have your cake and eat it too..

·
Registered
85 Posts
The foam tape works well and does the job but in time the foam compresses and gets hard and degrades with heat. Here's another product that performs better - Silicone Wrap Tape

Mighty FixIt | The Official AsSeenOnTV.com™ Shop - View All

I've used this Silicone tape to "de-squeak" all my cars with great results. It is much easier to apply and it sticks to itself and is waterproof. I also used the clear version of this tape to wrap around the heater fan control knob to get a easier grip on it.

·
likes to drive fast
1,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Problem 3: Creaking in the door panel handle. You push on the trim cover fand it creaks. Could be annoying.

Fix 3: Thin foam tape. Look at the picture where the trim is removed. The creak happens when the top part of the trim rubs against the leather. The fix here is to provide some cushioning. You can either place the foam on the leather part or on the tip of the trim cover.

One thing I need to mention. This trim cover is mated to the handle by 4 clips. These clips aren't the best in terms of design and resuability. They are somewhat of a spring loaded S-shaped clip. Over time the clips might loosen up and the cover will not mate as well to the handle. You might have to remove each clip and clamp them down using pliers to improve the catch.

The routine to fix annoying creaks is now quite obvious. Whenever there are two mating surfaces of leather and plastic or leather and leather, there will more than likely be a "creak".

As of now, I believe my car is "creak" free. :clap:

·
Premium Member
28 Posts
These pics are all gone - does anybody have them stashed and able to re-post?

- Chris

1 - 14 of 14 Posts