The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just thinking that if you wanted and you had lots of $$,$$$ you could buy an Exige S2 body from Henthal and put it on your Elise. You could also sell your Elsie body to a repair shop to recoup some of the cost. I am not planning to do this but I think it could be done.

This way you don't have to wait for the Exige:D

Any reason this would not work?

·
Registered
5,419 Posts
Patricko said:
I was just thinking that if you wanted and you had lots of $$,$$$ you could buy an Exige S2 body from Henthal and put it on your Elise. You could also sell your Elsie body to a repair shop to recoup some of the cost. I am not planning to do this but I think it could be done.

This way you don't have to wait for the Exige:D

Any reason this would not work?
Anything can be done if you throw enough money at it. It's really a matter is if would be worth the cost. Up front I would say no way.

·
shay2nak
25,068 Posts
Originally posted by Patricko
This way you don't have to wait for the Exige
yes, it should work and in fact I just wanted to buy the front bumper section and the two small fenders above and behind the front wheel where the vent is. I don't think it would be much, they are smaller parts of the body.

I don't know about the mesh grill, which I like much more than the elise's stuff. I can do the front intakes and radiator outlet, but the rear engine cover doesn't have any mesh's available and what about the tiny faux vents next to the taillights? On top of that, the side grills? Everything would be missmatched. :(

·
shay2nak
25,068 Posts
Originally posted by suv_bait
The suspension is completely different too, no?
hi john,
i've read that the suspension is stiffer on the Exige than on the 111R/Federal Elise. Also the AO48s come with the exige. These two facts lead me to believe that the Exige comes with the LSS setup that is an option for us with the Sport pack. From what I know, Lotus recommends not to use the AO48s without the LSS.

Ara

·
Registered
712 Posts
I remember reading something about the specs of the new Exige. It talked about adjustable this, and variable that on the suspension. And as far as I know the LSS suspension is not adjustable at all. AND, it has different wheels. So, I believe the Exige suspension to be above the LSS suspension, created for very serious racers. But, that was just my assumption.

Hopefully someone that knows more can clarify. I didn't take the time to remember, because I figured the Exige would be out of my price range (even if it did come to the US.)

·
Registered
587 Posts
This could be way off, but I thought I remembered reading somewhere the new Exige would have some trick shocks with external reservoirs.

I'm almost sure it was not the same as the LSS but I'll admit I do not know.

I'd be surprised if it were the LSS, as usofrob mentioned, LSS is basically non-adjustable (except for discrete ride height settings).

- John

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
You're kinda right - They showed off two Exiges at Geneva - one the regular street going version and a race version with full roll cage and external shock resevoirs and some other cool things I don't remember off hand. The street elise didn't have that stuff but it is not the same set-up we are getting with the LSS package. It is an adjustable package but I don't know the details either.

·
Registered
6,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
suv_bait said:
This could be way off, but I thought I remembered reading somewhere the new Exige would have some trick shocks with external reservoirs.

I'm almost sure it was not the same as the LSS but I'll admit I do not know.

I'd be surprised if it were the LSS, as usofrob mentioned, LSS is basically non-adjustable (except for discrete ride height settings).

- John
All of those things are parts and they can be purchased.

I agree, if you want an Exige buy one...but if they don't bring it or you are tired of waiting (aren’t we all:) ) then this is an option.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
shay2nak said:
I don't think it would be much, they are smaller parts of the body.
Elise clams are in 1 piece. The 'parts' you see are bonded in the factory and can't be removed without destroying the fibreglass. BTW.. Examine the Exige2 clam closely and you'll see no such 'joins'. The ones in the photo's are already hand-laid in 1 piece..

You can not buy separate clam-pieces.

Same goes for damage to a clam. If it's damaged/cracked you get a whole new nose or rear section.

Even if you could get smaller pieces it would be awfully labor-intensive (== expensive!) to get everyting aligned properly (build jigs, etc.) and get it finished properly.

Bye, Arno.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts