1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,566 Posts
Good luck on this one!!

·
Registered
635 Posts
+1 on interest in this. I have an annoying rattle coming from the left side of the dash ever since they replaced my original one (bubbling leather), and the dealer isn't willing to address it.

·
Disciple of Chapman
1,620 Posts
+1 on interest in this. I have an annoying rattle coming from the left side of the dash ever since they replaced my original one (bubbling leather), and the dealer isn't willing to address it.
Which side of the steering wheel is the rattle. I found you get quite a bit of access by removing the radio. Was able to get my hand behind the binnacle and the glove compartment with just the radio out.
Taking the radio out is pretty easy. Just pull the radio trim plate and 4 screws for the radio and you now have a big hole in your dash for exploration. At least a good place to start. Was able to upgrade my Pioneer head unit to the iPhone 5 interface and run the new cable into the glove box. My passenger side air bag cover is coming off (again) and was searching for a way to check it. Unfortunately I think the dash has to come out for fix. :shrug:

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
take a look at several of the stereo install threads, they will cover most of the steps required. It is relatively self explanatory, but many of the panels go on/off in a certain order as they overlap. Be careful not to damage the leather.

Nessal I believe you are discussing the Elise/Exige removal.

·
Registered
220 Posts
my car goes in next week, one of the items is the dash, I asked the dealer how long they need the car they said at last 2 weeks! I asked why so long as the other items were fairly easy and quick and he said the dash, they are doing one now on a car from kansas and they have been working on it for almost 4 weeks! I guess they got it all together and now they are looking for a rattle before releasing it back to the customer? needless to say I told them the dash can wait till winter I would rather enjoy the car for the summer.

·
Premium Member
1,143 Posts
my car goes in next week, one of the items is the dash, I asked the dealer how long they need the car they said at last 2 weeks! I asked why so long as the other items were fairly easy and quick and he said the dash, they are doing one now on a car from kansas and they have been working on it for almost 4 weeks! I guess they got it all together and now they are looking for a rattle before releasing it back to the customer? needless to say I told them the dash can wait till winter I would rather enjoy the car for the summer.
My dealer replaced my entire dash and air bag covers, plus the windshield pillars, and other warranty items in 2 days.
Getting the parts was the delay. I had them inspect the warranty items and order the parts. Then I brought it back in for the 2 day installation.

·
Registered
635 Posts
It seems like it's coming from the left/underneath the steering wheel (not 100% sure though), and if so, not sure i'll be able to get to any loose fittings via the radio area.

Which side of the steering wheel is the rattle. I found you get quite a bit of access by removing the radio. Was able to get my hand behind the binnacle and the glove compartment with just the radio out.
Taking the radio out is pretty easy. Just pull the radio trim plate and 4 screws for the radio and you now have a big hole in your dash for exploration. At least a good place to start. Was able to upgrade my Pioneer head unit to the iPhone 5 interface and run the new cable into the glove box. My passenger side air bag cover is coming off (again) and was searching for a way to check it. Unfortunately I think the dash has to come out for fix. :shrug:

·
Registered
635 Posts
My rattle may be coming from the panel below the steering wheel rather than the dash, as it seems as if the rattle goes away if i push up on that panel while driving. I just assumed it was dash related because I didn't have that rattle before the dash replaced under warranty, and had the rattle ever since I got it back with the new dash.

So in short, if the rattle is coming from the panel below the steering wheel (noise from left of steering wheel), anyone have any tips/tricks to narrowing down/stopping the rattle?

·
Registered
115 Posts
That would be my car. Don told me they had the dash in but the "S" on the back was broke and it was on "back order". That, I assumed was the delay, but, maybe not. There was no mention of a persistent rattle. I was afraid that there may be an issue like that.

·
Registered
220 Posts
That would be my car. Don told me they had the dash in but the "S" on the back was broke and it was on "back order". That, I assumed was the delay, but, maybe not. There was no mention of a persistent rattle. I was afraid that there may be an issue like that.
I can't believe what he told me , I feel I could do the dash myself in a day , my dash took 7 moths to get , so they said. We are at their mercy as it's the only dealer around. I had issues the last time mine was in, but Hopefully they have their [email protected]&$ together. Don't quote me on your dash not sure why they told me that but as a retired mechanic I know there is no way it took that long, they were also doing a clutch on another Evora at the same time, maybe they were splitting the time between the two , there is only one Lotus tech there. Maybe we should PM so we can share our Denver dealer experiences.

·
Registered
276 Posts
It took about 7 months for me to get my replacement dash, installation was a little over a day.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Plus one if a DIY thread gets posted for dash removal

·
Registered
5,709 Posts
The dash rattle is pretty common after a reinstall. I believe it is one or more of the mounting brackets behind the dash that's rattling. In every case when I apply pressure on the vicinity of the noise, it goes away. That's because I believe I've pushed the dash against the bracket.

BTW, i also had a rattle that emanated from the left side of the steering wheel right where the button cluster/cubby is. Before it came from the right side, also behind the button cluster. But after a swift bump with my fist it went away. I did the same on the left side and it goes away but only temporarily. It always comes back from time to time. It doesn't bother me as much as it used to. Every now and then I'll hear it but most of the time I have my windows down and the exhaust, road noise, and other cars keep my ears plenty busy.

·
Disciple of Chapman
1,620 Posts
The dash rattle is pretty common after a reinstall. I believe it is one or more of the mounting brackets behind the dash that's rattling. In every case when I apply pressure on the vicinity of the noise, it goes away. That's because I believe I've pushed the dash against the bracket.

BTW, i also had a rattle that emanated from the left side of the steering wheel right where the button cluster/cubby is. Before it came from the right side, also behind the button cluster. But after a swift bump with my fist it went away. I did the same on the left side and it goes away but only temporarily. It always comes back from time to time. It doesn't bother me as much as it used to. Every now and then I'll hear it but most of the time I have my windows down and the exhaust, road noise, and other cars keep my ears plenty busy.

That's the wonderful thing about the Plack exhaust. It magically makes all the rattles and road noise disappear :clap:

·
Registered
240 Posts
I too had my dash replaced due to the lifting passenger air bag. I then got the rattle in the dash that was driving me crazy every time I went on a semi rough road. I watched Squids video, and attempted the same, exept I did not have any foam, so I used a black sock. The sock looks fine, if you did nt know it was there, you would not have any atention drwan to it. And yes, this did fix my rattle as far as I can tell. I did a 2 mile test drive on some rough road that used to get the dash rattling, and now it does not. Thanks again for this forum, and thank you squid for all that you do for t.

Craig

1 - 19 of 19 Posts