The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my lights have been looking pretty bad and everything else seems to only last a month, so I decided to sand them down from 1000,1500, then last 2000 grit sand paper. After that I layed down 3 coats of clearcoat. Spraymax 2k. 2 part uv clear in a can. Hopefully this will last a few years. Here are some photos how it came out. Didnt polish or wet sand after the clear, dont think it needs it. Lmk what you think!

[/URL][/IMG]
[/URL][/IMG]
[/URL][/IMG]
[/URL][/IMG]

·
Registered
972 Posts
Looks pretty damn good to me. Will be doing something similar with mine to clean them up a bit.

·
give me my second cam!
477 Posts
I think they look excellent! Good job!

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
I also did this a month ago. I hit it with 600, 800, 1200, 1500, 2000, rubbing compound, then polishing compound. I also sprayed with 2k clearcoat spray then hit it with rubbing compound then polishing compound after. Looks better than new now and it has a color shift hue that looks really good. The 2k spray is autobody grade spray with isocyanates so make sure you wear a respirator. I figured since clearcoat on cars last 10+ years, I should be good till then. Probably even longer once I apply 3M clearbra on it. Took me 8 hours to do everything.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Did you sand it by hand?

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Nice yeah definitely put a mask on this stuff is very bad to inhale. I sanded it with my hands took about half hr on each light, just sanding.

·
Wow Such Admin
6,931 Posts
I wish I had krypton green!

I used the 3m headlight kit and they came out nice and clear as well. Although it took me a bit longer than 30 minutes a side.

Yours came out great though.

·
Registered
75 Posts
i did the same one mine , buffed with cutting compound the 1000, 1500, 2000( wet 3x) then i had them clear coated at a body shop with spies hecker uv proof clear ( cost me 85$)

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
Fred, it looks like there is some orange peel on your lights. What I did to get rid of them is to sand lightly with 2000grit until you see the low spots are gone. And then hit it with 3m rubbing compound then meguires scratchx. It will looks smooth as still water after. Becareful not to sand too much with the 2000grit. You just want to level the clear coat.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts