The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Roberto Giannini
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all sorry been meaning to post upgrades for a while that will explain some of the photos with snow in the background lol.

Anyhoo this thread is for those who would like to upgrade their 1watt hokey lighting system in any Esprit and do not want to convert to HID or Xenon

Although HID and Xenon are great, to install them on an Esprit takes a bit of work and re aiming them to make them fit properly, the bulbs are much longer then regular H4 so even when you get them in they do not fit great, or you have to live with high aiming beams blinding other drivers.

This solution not only looks great but they look close to HID lights, and are visually and esthetically awesome on the car. Total cost for 4 lights 4 bulbs and 2 bulbs for fog lamps will be roughly $300 dollars give or take when all said and done.

I ordered 5 3/4" projection style headlights with white Halo rings which really updates the look of the car. 5 3 4" White LED Halo Halogen Light Bulb Headlight Angel Eye Crystal Clear Set | eBay

These all come with bulbs but they are just basic bulbs, better than sealed beam but still not great, you will need to order bulbs as well.

Install is very quick and very easy, you have to be slightly mechanically incline, like know how to use a screwdriver :D.

removing light is self explanatory, pop lights up
remove the bracket around the lights 6 screws
loosen NOT REMOVE 3 screws holding chrome rings
spin counter clockwise and remove
be careful as lights are now loose and will fall
BEST TO DO ONE LIGHT AT A TIME as it is easier to remember where to plug in
remove light and unplug bracket voilà.

you can order these lights without halo so install is plug and play you just need to order proper bulbs which I will get to further down this thread.

The halo lights take a bit more to install as you need to hook up a red and black wire, there are 2 sets on each light to light the whole ring. You simply insert these wires into the bracket before installing and plugging in the light, they will hold without cutting any wires or modifying anything. You insert black to black and red to the positive pin which I believe is the top pin, you can test it first to see that they light up before you install them, you can't screw this up don't worry ;).

Install both sets (hi & Lo headlamps) halo lights to the regular city driving light, that way in the city with regular lights on all 4 halo lights will be on looks uber
cool :cool: when you turn on hi beams the halo lights (ring only) will be off.

Pic #1-show the halo projection headlamps with red and black wire
Pic #2-shows difference between the sealed beam and new lights
Pic #3-show the level of white light these produce
Pic #4-shows off the halo at night time, but they look great in day time too
Pic #5-shows all lights including fog lamps with Phillips bulbs.

Attachments

·
Roberto Giannini
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Now this is where it gets fun if you're a little adventurous like me :cool:

These 5 3/4 halo lights come in all colors for the halo, Blue Red Green Orange Yellow Violet, you can choose what ever you like, match them to your car color that would look great.

5 3 4" Amber LED Halo Halogen Light Bulb Headlight Angel Eye Crystal Clear Set | eBay

5 3 4" Red LED Halo Halogen Light Bulb Crystal Clear Headlight Angel Eye Set | eBay

5 3 4" Green LED Halo Halogen Light Bulb Headlight Angel Eye Crystal Clear Set | eBay

5 3 4" Blue LED Halo Halogen Light H4 Bulb Headlight Angel Eye Crystal Clear Set | eBay

I personally like Blue, unfortunately in my Province having blue lights on your car is illegal, so I came up with an ingenious idea. I ordered two sets of halo lights, a blue set and a white set, I put the blue set on my daily city driving side and the white on the Hi beam side. My lights from on coming traffic look like a blueish hue in color, and the other hi beam side look like they do on BMW so no harm no foul.

If you don't have that rule where you live then by all means go crazy and jazz up the look of the car at night time :clap: or do what I did :coolnana:

If you have a British racing green go green by all means :D

Pic #1- shows blue and white halo
Pic #2-shows blue white halo
Pic #3-shows blue white halo

Attachments

·
Roberto Giannini
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
NOW LETS TALK ABOUT BULBS

You need to order proper set of H4 bulbs for these head laps, that is what they are called H4. Your fog lamps are called H3 bulbs, remember and write those down.

I ordered a set which are suppose to be the best they are called Phillips diamond vision 5000k brightness
2X Philips Diamond Vision 5000K Headlight Bulb H4 60 55W Authentic Poland | eBay

These are really good, bright white light, but definitely not the best as they claim. I found the one in Pic #1 to be better and whiter light, but I can not find them for sale anywhere, I bought them long ago in a Galaxy far far away, Korea I belive lol, maybe you guys will have better luck searching for them, I did notice the wattage is higher.

I also ordered the H3 fog lamp Phillips diamond vision bulbs, these are great, they turn your regular driving lamps to a nice white light.
2X Philips Diamond Vision 5000K Headlight Light Bulb H3 55W Authentic Original | eBay

So to recap you must order 4 H4 bulbs of your choice I recommend the Phillips unless you can find the ones in my pic, but for sure also order the Phillips H3 bulbs for fog lamps.

Hope this helps many of you out, cheers.

Tomorrow a DIY on subwoofers for any Esprit, finally installed them :clap:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,976 Posts

·
2000 Esprit TT
42 Posts
Thanks Nightlife! I just did my light upgrade last week and did a 1000km road trip this weekend, the lights performed perfect and I had tons of compliments! I even had an offer to buy my car at the race track today :)
I didn't sell her!!!

Attachments

·
Integrator
3,003 Posts
I found this (different) light, which actually has several LED-s placed around the perimeter (outboard). Looks smaller, more delicate.
They are marketed under the name 5-3/4" Ultima halo light.

Attachments

·
Integrator
3,003 Posts

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
40 separate LEDs around the outer edge.
They come in four colors: white, amber, blue and red.
Photos at night? What color temp? Price?

EDIT

Never mind, just noticed when searched, these are not HID..

·
Integrator
3,003 Posts
The one on the right is the Ultima, $65-70 a pop. You can fit any H4 bulb you wish in these.
I took the hardware to plating, so pictures will come later.
Till now, I had 4 non-halo H4 lights, like the left one, (which looks little bit larger).
Should I go for 4 Ultimas, or have a mixed bag?

·
Roberto Giannini
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The one on the right is the Ultima, $65-70 a pop. You can fit any H4 bulb you wish in these.
I took the hardware to plating, so pictures will come later.
Till now, I had 4 non-halo H4 lights, like the left one, (which looks little bit larger).
Should I go for 4 Ultimas, or have a mixed bag?
Go with the new 4 Ultimas, just jump the LED wire from highbeam over to low beam that way when your low beams are on the highbeam LED lights are visible without having highbeams on, if that made sense lol

Read my earlier posts

send pics of finished product, cheers:)

·
Integrator
3,003 Posts
Good idea, thanks.
Done. Need to finish Xenon modules packaging.
Outboard light takes H4 halogen bulb; the inboard will be fitted w/ Xenon HID

Attachments

·
Integrator
3,003 Posts

Attachments

·
NICKNICK68
5 Posts
Diameter issue

Hi Roberto and Mr. Danger-US,
I just bought HALO smd led lights and I already have problems.... lights are 1 centimeter smaller (1/3 inches).
See my pics.
So when I remove original lights from their frame, frame has a bigger hole for new lights.
I probably can find the way to fix new light on metal frame ... but will be impossible to fit again the black plastic on front side.

Did you have same issue? HALO lights were smaller than yours? Or in USA original lights are smaller so they have same diameter of HALO lights?

Then , ROBERTO, for you because you are Italian: I don't see the special ASYMMETRICAL lens on HALO lights, lens that suppose to BE MANDATORY , at least here in Europe are mandatory. I mean the lensa that deviate light beam a little to right side to avoid to "blind" who is coming from opposite direction.
Is maybe not obligatory in CANADA?
Nicola

Attachments

1 - 20 of 29 Posts