The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I think I deserved a Show OFF TIME!! here.
It took 8 precious days out of my life :crazy eyes tons of cigs, 1.5 kg weight lost (mine not the car)
Here is my Matte Black Elise R along with caliper paint, GT wing leg paint and black plastic paint repaint.

ps. I swear I won't do this DIY ever again. At least not a solo job like this :drool:
for those who want to know how-to or what tools you need, just let me know.
:wave:

Attachments

·
Registered
88 Posts
Just in time to go watch Batman :)

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Exactly just in time. Makes all the kids go wowwwwwww.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Registered
153 Posts
I like the matte black with the soft top. Makes the soft top look better.
The night shot is awesome.

·
Premium Member
2,978 Posts
Impressive amount of work. Not something I'd do.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Impressive amount of work. Not something I'd do.
trust me, u don't want to...
At first I planned to do it like 4 days or something.
But once it started, it just can't stop in the middle. after day 3, from a chilling hobby, it quickly became a burden. Something you need to finish.
I almost quit on day 6. My girlfriend need to take a taxi across the town just to pull me up. :D
But the end result is really impressive to me. Even though it's not a professional craft quality.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
did you manage to get the interior door panels, door jambs, etc, too?! looks nice!
not yet. now just wrapped up the anti-roll bar cover that will be seen when the roof off. Now my hands, my arms, my body need a good full-month rest. Before doing anything with those bloody stickers again.

image of skin burn by heat gun. -eek-

Attachments

·
Registered
606 Posts
That's an incredible job! It took me 8 hours just to put on vinyl stripes, I can't imagine the effort to wrap the entire car.

Do you have a close-up shot of the tail lights? Were you able to wrap around the curves without bubbling?

Graham

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
That's an incredible job! It took me 8 hours just to put on vinyl stripes, I can't imagine the effort to wrap the entire car.

Do you have a close-up shot of the tail lights? Were you able to wrap around the curves without bubbling?

Graham
this is the best shot I got with me right now.

There's almost no way to do it with completely one piece in the taillight well.
The best solution is, to use the heat-gun (of death) blow it while you push in the vinyl so it will extend itself. The wrinkles will be created but thats ok. (like the pic in the first post)
make it goes as deep as you can, but at the end it will tear anyway. But even you can make it to the end, The vinyl will be too weak to hold in place by itself anyway. You will need another piece of vinyl to wrap around it again. But the additional vinyl will be deep inside. So you won't see it once the taillight is in place.

Same technique apply to the front bumper.

Attachments

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
yeah.... plastidip.
Really interesting. Cost effective. The only downside for me is...the shop doesn't offer international shipping due to air-fed restriction. T_T

·
Registered
324 Posts
looks great! I feel your pain! I just finished wrapping my car also, so i understand how difficult it is. I will post up in a separate thread later after I get some photos.

·
Premium Member
3,426 Posts
I have only wrapped a couple pieces because I completely suck at it - though the pieces I left it on look good I failed miserably when it came to the roof lol.

I'll try again at some point... just not yet.

Congrats on a nice wrap!

As for Pasti-dip - I have done my LOTUS emblems on the back as well as my wheels and the stuff looks fantastic and has lasted a long time. I need to re-do the parts but for 5 bucks and near a years worth of "black"... well worth it.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts