The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Premium Member
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't really care for most of the side sills that are available. Most are too large for my taste; looking more like running boards.

So, I decided to make my own...

I made a cardboard template following the body line of the car, made a CAD drawing from it, and had them laser cut out of .100" aluminum. Cost $100 to have them cut, including material. Not too bad.

I painted them with Plasti-Dip and installed them with Rivet Nuts.

I attached the .dxf file if anyone else likes them and would like to make their own. They fit my 2010 Exige S240 like a glove. No guarantee they will fit your car, but would certainly give you a good starting point.

Attachments

·
** The Enforcer **
7,594 Posts
They look very similar to my Reverie carbon fiber side skirts.

I agree that some of the side skirts are very large. I've accidentally touched my foot to my side skirt exiting the car. I'd have to make a very deliberate exit if I had the APR or other large side skirts.

Nice of you to post up the specs for others.

San

·
Closer than you think
2,222 Posts
Great idea and execution! I wish someone would make a similar CAD plan for the Elise. That way we could purchase the plan and take it to a local shop to be cut.

What thickness of aluminum did you use?

·
** The Enforcer **
7,594 Posts
Great idea and execution! I wish someone would make a similar CAD plan for the Elise. That way we could purchase the plan and take it to a local shop to be cut.

What thickness of aluminum did you use?
.100" in the first post.

San

·
Registered
107 Posts
Very nice looking pieces. I hadn't thought of making a set for my car, but now I think I will! Which rivnuts did you use?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Thanks!!!
When I pick up my Exige this week this and a difflow diffuser are first on the list. Do you have a close up of the edge of the sill? I would like to see how thick .100" looks. Do you think a rubber edge trim may finish off the edge nicer?

Thanks again.

·
Premium Member
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I rounded the outside edge with a sander before painting. I also did take a 3/16" ID fuel line that I had lying around, split it and stuck it on the edge to see how it looked. That looked fine as well.

·
Registered
334 Posts
For those of you looking to do something similar to this and want edge trim I have found this to work quite nicely.

Good work OP they are subtle, but look very nice.

Rubber Edge Trim 1 4" Opening | eBay

·
Registered
76 Posts
Stupid question... Where do I take that .dxf file to have those made?? Should I just google metal fabrication shop? Or does it need to be a auto specific place?

·
Premium Member
4,117 Posts
Very nice. Thank you for contributing to the community with the download.

·
Premium Member
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Stupid question... Where do I take that .dxf file to have those made?? Should I just google metal fabrication shop? Or does it need to be a auto specific place?
Any shop that has a waterjet or laser cutter will be able to read a .dxf file. I used these guys:

Discount Steel
Jason Merrell
Texas Inside Sales
(682) 730-3008

They were actually cheaper than any of my local shops (even with shipping cost).

1 - 20 of 71 Posts