The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I noticed that the LED bulbs I have (just H7 bulbs, no ballasts or inline resistors/error light cancellers) installed make my headlights stay on regardless of the position of the headlight button (on or off).

This is true with both my standard instrument pod and my MX2E.

Has anyone installed LED bulbs that do not make the car do this?

If so, what brand are they so I can buy them. I really do not want to do xenon and ballasts or expensive but not cool looking tinted hallogen H7 bulbs like phillips or sylvania.

Any idea why this would happen?

I remember a long time ago I plugged in a auto dimming mirror into the harness of my camry and it made the radiator fan run even when the car was completely off, so stranger things have happened to me.

thanks a bunch
Louis

·
Registered
628 Posts
Change the bulb. I had this issue on my elise were my lights would come on when I pressed on the brakes. I swapped in some Sylvania LEDs and the problem resolved. It has to do with the power draw.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Change the bulb. I had this issue on my elise were my lights would come on when I pressed on the brakes. I swapped in some Sylvania LEDs and the problem resolved. It has to do with the power draw.
do you have a PN for the LED bulbs you used?
thank you
Louis

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
1157SLBP2 are for the DRL
Actually I do have LED DRL as well. Can they be a problem of always on headlights?
Do you have LEDs for your main headlights?
thank you
L

·
Registered
53 Posts
This might be the thread I'm looking for. So - the (wrong) type of headlight bulbs could cause the driving lights to come on when the brakes are pressed? Is this for real?

·
Registered
628 Posts
I skimmed the original post so I didn't see that you replaced the front lights. In my case, I changed the rear brake light which is dual filament turns on with park/main lights. I think your issue is still with the bulb; I would try a different one/brand.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I skimmed the original post so I didn't see that you replaced the front lights. In my case, I changed the rear brake light which is dual filament turns on with park/main lights. I think your issue is still with the bulb; I would try a different one/brand.
You have no idea, but you just fixed a really strange electrical gremlin I've been hunting for 2 weeks on a new (to me) Elise. You rock. 🍻

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
My current thought is that it is either the LED wedge bulbs for the DRL or the H7 LED bulbs that are causing some sort of circuitry issue. I am also hoping that this is the fundamental cause as to why my MX2E does not display the four analog sensor data from my channel expansion.

Bottom line is my car still functions but I need to take care of other things for now. I will let you guys know what I find out. I guess the first thing will be to
1. change the LED bulbs back to the halogens and see what happens
2. then swap in the wedge DRL with LEDs but keep the LED H7 and see what happens
3. try just the LED DRL but use halogen H7
4. based on what I find, evaluate options
5. actually from what I recall the halogen H7 actually is pretty bright and has a good spread and cutoff. maybe I will just put everything back. I guess this i what I get for getting cheap LED bulbs. I just hate overpaying for bad stuff so I usually gamble with the cheap stuff. It is a small bet that can pay off big IMO.

peace
L

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
what the actual heck? how can a bulb draw power through a a switch?

I'm not doubting, i'm just shocked if this can actually happen.

·
Registered
53 Posts
what the actual heck? how can a bulb draw power through a a switch?

I'm not doubting, i'm just shocked if this can actually happen.
I know! I'm not sure how or why, but can confirm that the 25 watt bulb caused the brake pedal to turn on the parking lights. With a 5 watt bulb all is good. The light buttons illuminate when the parking lights are on so it's easy to tell from the drivers seat. They would light up with the brake pedal.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Once I swapped in a auto dimming mirror for an XLE camry into my LE and not only did it not work but it made the cooling fan turn on and stay on even if the car was turned off. The frustrating thing is there must be two different wiring harnesses because the plug was right there seemingly awaiting a retrofit job. If there are two different wiring harnesses why have that plug so conspicuous to tempt someone to try to do a retrofit. it would have been nice to have the digital compass as well btw. so stranger things have happened. It is my theory that the bulbs are making it so my MX2E cannot read analog sensor signals. Too bad there is no traditional hood to make bulb replacement easier.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts