The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
746 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

I was wondering whether any forced induction setups for the Elise will have tailpipe emissions within CA limits. I know that the CARB inspection guidelines fail you for most intake/exhaust mods, but say that I had a blind mechanic who could only smell what's coming out of the tail pipe - is there a setup which he would pass? :D

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
ForcedFed told me their kits will pass the tailpipe test.

·
Registered
10,000 Posts
The katanas will pass tail pipe emissions tests and OBD II readiness codes (needs the latest flash for the 2006+ models ), no check engine lights either.

They will not pass CARB since they're not stickered and the CVN is different.

·
Registered
10,000 Posts
Calibration Verification Number

Every modern ecu has a value thats computed from the cal tables, the OEM ones are in some big government database so when you go for a smog they're supposed to connect the car to the state computer and it uploads the information to them, instantly telling them your ecu is not stock.

I have never heard of anyone actually acting on it, but i have seem them attach the computer that records it, regardless of whether they do it or not, thats the law.

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
Here is food for thought.

This guy in SoCal had a 00 Civic Si. He had the car Bar'd as an alternative fuel vehicle (diesel). I do not know how. But the fact is that NO smog checks required. He had a RSX-S engine swap..
EDIT: HE WAS NOT RUNNING DIESEL IN THE RSX MOTOR!!

I believe there is a way to do it with propane.. Propane has a slightly higher octane rating then gasoline.. I believe somewhere at 103-105.

This is just ideas to explore to avoid smog related questions in california.

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
$200 and you can pass any Smog test. Helps if u speak spanish too :)

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
Calibration Verification Number

Every modern ecu has a value thats computed from the cal tables, the OEM ones are in some big government database so when you go for a smog they're supposed to connect the car to the state computer and it uploads the information to them, instantly telling them your ecu is not stock.

I have never heard of anyone actually acting on it, but i have seem them attach the computer that records it, regardless of whether they do it or not, thats the law.

Charlie, do you know if the Gov't receives updates to this CVN when a car manufacturer releases an updated "Flash" relating to engine functions?

·
Registered
912 Posts
$200 and you can pass any Smog test. Helps if u speak spanish too :)
I dunno about that, isn't it hard to fake OBDII tests? OBDI is a joke and can be done with you sitting at home.

From what i hear.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts