·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Watch THIS video! :crazyeyes

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
Debunked as a clever marketing stunt by a company that sells bluetooth headsets. Someone should make a bluetooth version showing the same thing...

·
Registered
240 Posts
I have a neurosurgeon friend that absolutely refuses to use a cell phone without a bluetooth device and even then she's hesitant because it's still a transmitter. She sites cases of brain cancer on heavy users of handheld two way radios and other gizmos like that in the past.

It hasn't stopped me from using my cell phone, but her talking points have definitely made me think a bit about it.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Debunked as a clever marketing stunt by a company that sells bluetooth headsets. Someone should make a bluetooth version showing the same thing...
Yeah I know... I read Snopes too! ;)
C'mon now, you couldn't allow me here to play with a few people for even maybe just like only 10 minutes or so with this though? :panic:

Oh well.
Like someone else, on another board always tries to tell me: "Leave Comedy to the Professionals, Grant".

I'll never learn. :huh:

·
Registered
7,115 Posts
take the cover off a cell tower antenna and read what it says.... :eek:

the truth is nobody knows - but i can guarentee you one thing, it is not theraputic!

never the less - you would dump a gold brick if you obssessed about all the various natural and man made frequencies running through you 24/7 in an urban enviroment. our planet earth has an amazing defense system to protect us from some things out there that will kill you rather quickly.

most research seems to indicate that normal and moderate cell phone use has no measurable ill effects - for what thats worth? probably similar to standing infront of a microwave oven... can't be good for you - but no real proof its going to kill you eventualy either.

if your really worried - use a wired headset, and stick your cell in your pocket, assuming of course you don't plan on reproducing any time in the future :p

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
I have a neurosurgeon friend that absolutely refuses to use a cell phone without a bluetooth device and even then she's hesitant because it's still a transmitter. She sites cases of brain cancer on heavy users of handheld two way radios and other gizmos like that in the past.
the truth is nobody knows - but i can guarantee you one thing, it is not therapeutic!
<...>
most research seems to indicate that normal and moderate cell phone use has no measurable ill effects - for what thats worth?
I remember reading about a study a while back. It discovered that people that developed brain tumors tended to develop them on the side of the head that they held their cell phone to. But the study also found that there is no measurable increase in brain tumors for people that use cell phones compared to people who didn't (it was a while back when not everyone had cell phones).

Again, the study showed that if you got a brain tumor, it was commonly where you held the cell phone, but using a cell phone didn't show any increased occurance of brain tumors. :shrug:

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
Yeah I know... I read Snopes too! ;)
C'mon now, you couldn't allow me here to play with a few people for even maybe just like only 10 minutes or so with this though? :panic:

Oh well.
Like someone else, on another board always tries to tell me: "Leave Comedy to the Professionals, Grant".

I'll never learn. :huh:

The Internet. Its serious business.:sheep:

·
Registered
4,221 Posts
I'm sorry, what?!? :panic: :rolleyes:

I sold these many years ago and have used them plenty; don't know a single person with a problem - even with reception anymore. Ask Sweden how they're doing. Or has cancer run amok over there? From what I know, they have relatively few landlines. I haven't really followed it, but if it were a problem I don't believe Nokia would still be in business.

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
the wavelenth that cellphones operate at has such a low amount of energy per "photon" that it only transfers energy into heat... and so for it to cause any damage you need a high enough concentration to burn you.

shorter wavelength EM radiation (starting at UVA which causes sunburns) has enough energy per photon that only ONE photon is needed in order to break most chemical bonds.

starting at UVB and getting shorter is the stuff you need to worry about because a single photon can damage DNA or RNA without causing damage to anything else in a cell(unlike microwave which would just destroy the entire thing) and damage cells are the ones that multiply out of control(cancer)

·
Registered
852 Posts
the wavelenth that cellphones operate at has such a low amount of energy per "photon" that it only transfers energy into heat... and so for it to cause any damage you need a high enough concentration to burn you.

shorter wavelength EM radiation (starting at UVA which causes sunburns) has enough energy per photon that only ONE photon is needed in order to break most chemical bonds.

starting at UVB and getting shorter is the stuff you need to worry about because a single photon can damage DNA or RNA without causing damage to anything else in a cell(unlike microwave which would just destroy the entire thing) and damage cells are the ones that multiply out of control(cancer)
The 2.4GHz frequency of many digital cell phones is approximately the same frequency as is used in a microwave oven, but at much lower power levels. Fortunately, there's a big difference between a slight warming effect observed due to some low power RF devices and being cooked...

John

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
I think forums probably do more drain bamage than cell phones.

Yes, posting on forums reduces the number of brain cells to a manageable amount!rotflrotfl

Do not fear Charlie drain bamage is reversable!:p

·
Registered
2,635 Posts
I hope that, for all those text messaging from their lap whilst driving, something besides their neurons is fried to a sufficient degree to prevent the transmission of their genetic legacy. :thwack:

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
take the cover off a cell tower antenna and read what it says.... :eek:

the truth is nobody knows - but i can guarentee you one thing, it is not theraputic!

never the less - you would dump a gold brick if you obssessed about all the various natural and man made frequencies running through you 24/7 in an urban enviroment. our planet earth has an amazing defense system to protect us from some things out there that will kill you rather quickly.

most research seems to indicate that normal and moderate cell phone use has no measurable ill effects - for what thats worth? probably similar to standing infront of a microwave oven... can't be good for you - but no real proof its going to kill you eventualy either.

if your really worried - use a wired headset, and stick your cell in your pocket, assuming of course you don't plan on reproducing any time in the future :p

So why are you supposed to not use the phone on an airplane?
I've seen picture of airplanes struck by lightening...
But they are worried that the Cell phone is going to interfere with their systems?

·
Super Moderator
5,452 Posts
I've seen picture of airplanes struck by lightening...
But they are worried that the Cell phone is going to interfere with their systems?
As I understand it the problem is related to the telecos on the ground - not the aircraft. When a cell phone is in use it picks up and holds lines on adjacent cells to the one it is in for seemless transmission when moving from one to the next. At 30,000' all cell towers in a city "could" be the next one so a single operating phone could tie up a line on a significant number of towers - multiply that by a couple of dozen phones and the complete network could be congested. The solution - now in place with some airlines - is to put a cell in the aircraft to avoid the phones looking to the ground for a signal.

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
As I understand it the problem is related to the telecos on the ground - not the aircraft. When a cell phone is in use it picks up and holds lines on adjacent cells to the one it is in for seemless transmission when moving from one to the next. At 30,000' all cell towers in a city "could" be the next one so a single operating phone could tie up a line on a significant number of towers - multiply that by a couple of dozen phones and the complete network could be congested. The solution - now in place with some airlines - is to put a cell in the aircraft to avoid the phones looking to the ground for a signal.
Has anyone actually got Cell phone service in the air. I've,...uh...hmm....accidently turned mine on numerous times in the air and never got service.

·
Registered
10,000 Posts
yes thats exactly the reason cellphones weren't allowed, its because a transmitter in the air covers a lot more distance than if its on the ground.

You can see his to be the case since it was the FCC that stipulated that rule, not the FAA since cell phones are legal to use on private jets if they were dangerous to use the FAA would have outlawed them ages ago, but since the terrorists attacks they can push in anything they like now and the FAA now mandates it too, except of course when its say the carrier putting their system into the aircraft utilising the same tech and giving huge kickbacks to airline companies who are suffering and in direct need of revenue.

it used to be said that the telecos cell systems just couldn't keep up with the rapid switching of cells when you're travelling at that speed.

I've heard peoples phones ringing on planes, and people were using them while being held hostage, so they will work.

·
Registered
10,000 Posts
wired headsets were found in some studies to make things just the same or worse, they suggest using a large ferrite core on one end as you see on many wired electronic devices.

of course we can read that time magazine article saying fossil fuels were causing the next ice age.

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
They are worried that the RF frequencies (and not necessarily the ones they are broadcasting on) could cause interference (jamming and/or false signals) that could interfere with navigational equipment on the air plane. Not likely to actually happen, but the results of any interference could be catastrophic, so they err on the safe side and make everyone turn off their electronics.

·
Registered
10,000 Posts
You have to prove to the FAA that the equipment doesn't interfere with on board systems, however even if you did that the FCC still outlaws it because of their ban since 1991.

They tried to get the FCC to lift the 800Mhz ban when pico cells were the thing, but they didn't and cited the same argument, that the FAA would need to lift their catch all ban, and there wasn't enough studies or evidence either way that they interferred with aircraft systems, but they do still cover ground problems.

If you certify the device with the FAA and FCC (though all devices require FCC regardless of aircraft use ) and it doesn't use 800Mhz its legal to use, thats how they're doing the inflight broadband and cell services on planes nowadays.

So the FCC bans it for ground problems, the FAA has a catch all on any transmitting electronic equipment thats not been certified, lets not examine that too much when you look at how much RF most laptops or cheap electronic devices etc put out.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts