The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Lotus community. I tried to tackle the elusive slave cylinder brake fluid bleed/flush on my manual trans 400 yesterday. I had read on the forum that there was just enough space to reach the bleeder from beneath, however I noticed on my car there didn't seem to be much space as well as the presence of this Mocal oil cooler in the way.
I bought this car used so I'm not sure if that's from the factory or not. Can anyone confirm? Is there any other way to reach the bleeder or do I need to figure out how to move this oil cooler out of the way? Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
2011 Evora NA 6sp
607 Posts
Yes that is factory. I don't think that should really be in the way. The slave is closer to the exhaust manifold.

·
Illegal Alien
5,095 Posts
Another angle of pump and filter from my car.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Yes, this is standard and looks the same as my 17 400. There is a filter and a pump that circulates the transmission fluid through the cooler. It picks up from the drain plug hole and discharges into the fill hole on the top of the transmission. Although the manual says to access the slave cylinder from underneath the car you can also do it from the top. Just be careful not to squish the duct that connects to the top of the exhaust manifold- I would suggest detaching this before you start. Of course, if the tubing you connect to the bleeder leaks you will end up having to take the undertray off to clean everything up anyway.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, this is standard and looks the same as my 17 400. There is a filter and a pump that circulates the transmission fluid through the cooler. It picks up from the drain plug hole and discharges into the fill hole on the top of the transmission. Although the manual says to access the slave cylinder from underneath the car you can also do it from the top. Just be careful not to squish the duct that connects to the top of the exhaust manifold- I would suggest detaching this before you start. Of course, if the tubing you connect to the bleeder leaks you will end up having to take the undertray off to clean everything up anyway.
Thanks for all the help! Good to know this is OEM and not aftermarket.
Does this mean that there is still another access to the slave cylinder bleeder from below that I missed? Is there a consensus as to which direction is easier/better from above or below?

·
Registered
8 Posts
you can definitely access the slave bleeder from the top. That's what I do when flushing the system. It is hard to get a drain hose on the bleeder though, so expect a mess. Removed the belly panel and hose it down afterword.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
you can definitely access the slave bleeder from the top. That's what I do when flushing the system. It is hard to get a drain hose on the bleeder though, so expect a mess. Removed the belly panel and hose it down afterword.
Could someone give me some direction or a photo on how to locate it from above? I looked and tried for the life of me and can't seem to figure out where it is. Thanks in advance

·
Administrator
1,809 Posts
One inexpensive tool I have found indispensable is a borescope that hooks to my iPhone but being USB powered it needs to attach to power source as well. Mine's 10m allowing more than enough length for inspection around the house and boats . This is how I was able to verify my dipstick tube was not seating properly in the black recess.

·
Registered
213 Posts
The slave cylinder is on top of the clutch housing. You will have to feel for it or, as suggested, use a mirrror or a camera. The bleeder is on the end of the cylinder and you can slip a wrench over it and attach a tube. If you want to see how it all looks I suggest downloading the shop manuals from VSI Welcome | VSI

·
Evora '10
52 Posts
For the 400 transmission cooler, is it a oil-to-water heat exchange (like the Laminova system from Mocal)? I have not found picture from top site, under the air box. I've found this ebay image which led me to believe so. Asking as it would indicate it is efficient enough using the engine coolant.

Tinkering with idea for my NA and seen some kits like from Komo-tec but those incorporate the radiator which I'm assuming in plumed up to the front (which would be more efficient on fresh air). But....that would be a pain for NA model install.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Yes, its an oil to water unit-I think the 4xx series switched to this from the front mounted air/water cooler to save weight and avoid having to circulate the oil through the front of the car. In theory this would be feasible to retro fit but you would have to connect the exchanger into the cold side of the coolant and you would also have to power the pump which is controlled by the transmission temperature. The transmission fluid pick up is from the drain hole and the return is through the fill hole on the top of the transmission.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts