The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have and SC and run hoosiers with a hard suspension.

Do I need either an RTDbrace or RTVbrace? If so, which one should I get?

What about an oil pan and fuel tank?

·
Registered
613 Posts
RTD vs RTV

I suggest you do one or the other.
The stock Lotus mounts will not withstand the
strain of highspeed/highG loads in tight fast corners.
If you spin or catch a wheel there is a good chance you'll
snap the bolt currently holding your toe-link. I've seen 2 cars
crash as a result of this bolt shearing. Neither driver was injured,
neither car was severly damaged (lucky) but both were avoidable
by installing the brace. RTD is more secure as it uses the transmission
mount, RTV does not utilise the transmission mount and as a result is
not as secure. If you can afford the RTD buy it, if you move this mount
then you've pretty much destroyed the rear end of your car as it's very strong.

·
Premium Member
29,081 Posts
It is a good idea.

Many people running SCCA Stock Classes do not use a brace, and so far have no problem. But if you can, I would.

I did. Lotus told me to.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Good to know. I can afford to go with the RTD brace. Looks like another weekend car project. YAY!

I love calling home from work and my wife saying "there is a box for you."

·
Supporting Vendor
4,350 Posts
Smart move. Just to set the record straight, the RTDbrace is better but the RTVbrace still puts these joints in double shear and have performed perfectly. Both have heims that are rated to the same load rating.

We choose to put an RTVbrace on our Project Nirvana Elise as it will do the job and is plenty safe.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Is the RTD brace beneficial on a track pack Exige S for autocrossing? Can this be used on an ASP car and be within the rules?

·
Premium Member
591 Posts
I think the std track pack brace should be more than enough. It's the cars that don't have any brace that should be concerned.

·
Registered
225 Posts
What class are you in with these braces? They are certainly not stock class but do they also bump you out of ASP?

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My guess is that the brace will not knock you out of ASP.

I would read the rules to double check.

I run XP because of the supercharger.

·
Premium Member
665 Posts
My guess is that the brace will not knock you out of ASP.

I would read the rules to double check.

I run XP because of the supercharger.
Oh I wish I'd seen this thread earlier. I've been down this road... As it turns out any change in BUSHING TYPE in the suspension puts you in SSM at a minimum. The RTD brace improves the strength of the toe link attachment by converting a ball joint (single shear) to a heim joint (double shear). There is no way to argue that that's not a bushing type change :(.

I currently run my Elise in SSM because the previous owner installed an RTD brace and I don't want to take it off. (and there are a couple of other mods that would be hard to deal with).

The ONLY hope of getting past this would be to find a technical service bulletin from lotus relating to their "track pack" brace for the toe link and then install that, and (perhaps) then you can argue that it is a manufacturer approved setup IF your version of the car could have been purchased with the track pack (and you upgrade to all the other track pack components too! -eek-).

In other words fahgeddaboutit...

And if you put it in an Exige, you are in X Prepared because you have to add about 150 lbs to make the SSM weight requirement for forced induction cars.... That's based on my personal reading of the 2008 and 2009 rule books, haven't checked 2010 yet, but I rather doubt it changed... (although in 2009 they did open up brake rotors allowing the Sector 111 ultradisc 2 piece rotors...)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts