The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all. I am doing some upgrades to my stereo and my 2007 Lotus Elise has the Alpine 9856 headunit installed. I need to pull it out to get to the rca inputs and speaker wires etc....is there an easy way to slide this deck out of the dash or do I have to remove the dash??

For those that might be wondering, I am installing a Steathbox subwoofer and two pairs of JL Audio 6 1/2" C2 speakers with the adapters for the front recommended on the forums....all attached to a Alpine pdx5 amp. Thanks for any help. Mason

·
Registered
580 Posts
This should probably go in the electrical forum.

Short answer, no, the head unit can be removed without taking the dash apart. Just get the correct tool (or a long screwdriver) and release the retaining clips and it'll pop out.

For replacing the dash speakers, it's absolutely necessary to remove the upper dash cover if you plan on retaining any kind of sanity (and an unscratched windshield). You'll need four of the special passenger airbag clips to accomplish that, available from Lotus Garage.

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
For replacing the dash speakers, it's absolutely necessary to remove the upper dash cover if you plan on retaining any kind of sanity (and an unscratched windshield). You'll need four of the special passenger airbag clips to accomplish that, available from Lotus Garage.
I replaced mine without removing the dash. You just need an angled screw driver. It was easy.

Tips/Ideas:

1. Get the Jim Clayton speaker rings available on forum so that you can install 5 1/4 speakers up front - big difference. Not expensive or hard.

2. The dash is easy to remove. It takes about 45 minutes and only requires the aforementioned clips from lotusgarage (or your dealer). I pulled mine in order to install a satellite radio unit and an iPod module, which is accessible by way of the passenger cubby. There is room for a small amp in there, I think.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks....

that is great that you were able to do it without removing the dash...I was hoping so. I did get those speaker rings so hopefully that will make it easier after I trim a little bit so they will fit.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Replacing the deck is really easy and requires no disassembly of the dash.
Replacing the dash speakers requires no disassembly of the dash.
The rear passenger side speaker is a pain if you have a harness bar since you will have to remove the passenger seat in order to remove/install that speaker.

·
Registered
912 Posts
I recommend pulling the dash makes it much easier and cleaner. Try using wire looms to keep all the wires together.

·
Registered
821 Posts
This should probably go in the electrical forum.

Short answer, no, the head unit can be removed without taking the dash apart. Just get the correct tool (or a long screwdriver) and release the retaining clips and it'll pop out.

I got to replace my windshield after my speaker install.:no: be careful when pulling out the silly metal ring imbedded in the dash....you can crack the windshield with the slightest tap...actually I hit a bird the other day, and was shocked it didn't take out my windshield after seeing how easy my 1st one got cracked

I didn't remove my pass seat to install my JL speakers....

lots of things will make the job easier, but aren't necessary...

·
Registered
580 Posts
I'll clarify slightly-- you don't need to remove the dash to replace the factory speakers with other speakers of the same size. If you're using the 5-1/4" rings, you most certainly do need to in order to glue them in properly.

Also, it's extremely easy to crack the windshield as was said. Popping the dash cover off is cheap insurance, and it allows you to run your wires in a much cleaner way, assuming you're upgrading them as well.

·
Registered
201 Posts
The first time I replaced my head unit, I didn't remove the dash. The second time I did. It was much easier the second time even though all the trim across the front had to be pulled. Getting all the wires situated with the dash cover off was nice. Trying to cram them in behind the head unit as it slides in is tough. I'm also paranoid about Lotus aluminum cutting through wire insulation, although probably unlikely it sure goes through skin quickly!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts