The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
I'm guilty sometimes any one else?:shrug:
Hmmm... well, as examined in countless threads, people buy a Lotus for many different reasons...

That said, if you drive a Lotus because you love the way it feels when you drive it... ignoring rattles, buzzing, stupid questions, impromptu photosessions, etc., then yes: you march to a different drummer. :nanner2:

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
In the marching band I play the drums, so, no, I march to myself.

·
Premium Member
6,978 Posts
Majority of us fit in the vehicle, so that rules out 50+% of population from the start. Majority of us couldn't give a rats ass about muscle cars (obesity mobiles is my current term) anymore.
:DFace it, we're just cooler than ice!

·
Registered
5,355 Posts
Good question...

I've always thought that Lotus enthusiasts are "unique". In fact Lotus had a marketing campaign once that played on that theme, something along the lines of "For the few that know the difference".

Are Lotus drivers...

1) Dreamers - because we dream of driving a F1 car on some famous circuit and know that a Lotus is as close to that experience that can be legally had on the street?

2) Hardcore - because we demand performance and handling over all the luxuries (like cup holders).

3) Purists - because we don't want some computer diluting our driving pleasure and experience. If we want to drive a computer then we could play a vid game.

4) Pragmatists - because we love elegance of simple, straightforward and honest engineering that doesn't waste resources. There is great beauty in efficiency (light weight).

5) Individualists - because we are not afraid to march to a different drummer.

Cheers,
Kiyoshi

·
Registered
580 Posts
Good question, and one that requires a different answer for just about every driver. I've met (and read) everything from the Lotus purists/fanboys, who answer every critique of the car with "it's fast in the corners!", to girls who bought one because "it's cute", to exotic owners with a stable of Loti to which it's just another car with its own set of characteristics and attitude.

Personally, I love Loti for the design ethos behind them.

1) Light, simple, minimalist.
2) If you want to drive this car, learn how.
3) Unique looks with honest heritage in the designs (e.g. the "smile" grill, the long history of the Esprit, etc. Ferrari lost this plot after the 355, and I've been peeved with them since)
4) Bang for the buck. Throw 20k at an Elise/Exige, and very, very few things will touch it in the corners or otherwise.

Specific to the Elise, I love it in addition to the normal "Lotus" reasons in that:

1) "Wear the car" design. It's hard to put to words, but I can't think of any most-weather road going car that offers better situational awareness as to where the car is and where it wants to go.
2) Targa roof. Targa roofs rock.
3) Extraordinarily unique chassis/construction method. Extruded pedals (and most everything else) are just plain cool.
4) Effortless to drive given the excellent feedback. I'm never left wondering what'll happen if I do this or that in a corner, the car tells me. VERY few others can say as much.
5) Dirt cheap given the design and capabilities.

The car has its issues, to be sure, and when I'm in engineer mode I don't gloss over them as some do. But when I drive it, if I'm completely honest, I really don't care. Few cars put as big a grin on my face as easily, and all of those that do cost a hell of a lot more and have just as many issues to deal with.

·
Registered
113 Posts
There's something particularly appealing about 2/3 of the people I know not even being able to get into my Lotus, especially when the top is on.

·
Registered
2,026 Posts
Lotus Owners March to a Different Drummer?

March to a different drummer?

Certainly long time owners are a bit different. Some march, some skip, some wander in circles...

Those who have only a brief relationship with Lotus seem pretty main stream.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Gee thanks Dean, being only "a bit" different is the nicest thing anyone has said about me in a long time. Dn't think the people that I work with or that know me well would agree....DAve

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Gee thanks Dean, being only "a bit" different is the nicest thing anyone has said about me in a long time. Dn't think the people that I work with or that know me well would agree....DAve
More like bitten by an infectuous bug. We have a drug-resistant strain of Lotus fever... :p

Take two Tylenol and call your psychiatrist in the morning. :D

·
Closer than you think
2,222 Posts
We just got back from the races at RoadAmerica. There's an enthusiast's area called the Corvette Corral there and there must have been at least 100 Corvettes parked there alone. Don't get me wrong, the Vette is a nice car, but I loved the fact that you could count all the Lotus cars at the races on one hand.

·
Registered
5 Posts
cant count too good ,cant hear drummer ,voices loud even when i'm alone

·
Registered
3,958 Posts
We just got back from the races at RoadAmerica. There's an enthusiast's area called the Corvette Corral there and there must have been at least 100 Corvettes parked there alone. Don't get me wrong, the Vette is a nice car, but I loved the fact that you could count all the Lotus cars at the races on one hand.
+1, but the NSX corral was pretty cool

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
Majority of us fit in the vehicle, so that rules out 50+% of population from the start.
...speaking as someone who is, if not obese, at least overweight, i'm compelled to note that you're mistaken - i live in a contender for america's fattest city, so i'm not just speaking out of my prodigious backside here...

...realistically, only about 5-10% of the population have legitimate physiological issues against driving a 111...those with psychological issues against its ergonomics, however, i'll grant likely number closer to 60-70%; that our cars self-select against those who aren't cut out to appreciate their assets i think is part of the appeal...

...on the whole, simba just about nailed the reasons for my own appreciation...

·
Closer than you think
2,222 Posts
I also love the puzzled look on people's faces when they peek inside expecting to see a luxury interior. :D It's not so much fun, however, when I have to explain. :wallbang:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts