The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,955 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My mother was visting and didnt realize that the rotors on her Buick were shot. I went to the place down the road and dropped off the car, and gave the guy the keys, He freaked out when he saw the keychain holder that she had them on. It had a little replica of her license plate on it. She said that some charity sent it to her in hopes of getting a donation.

He said that if she ever lost the keys in a mall parking lot, someone could just look around and find out what car they went to and steal the car. I never thought of that before. He said one person had something similar and had a Mobil Speedpass attached to it. A thief could steal your car, and fill it up with gas, get some snacks along the way.

It got me wondering.. If I lost my keychain, whoever found it wouldnt have any trouble finding the car and taking it for a joyride, considering that the alarm fob would probably be attached. Should I just stick a Yugo keychain holder on the keys to play it safe?

·
Registered
2,955 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Dont know, I think the immobisler doesnt have anything on it.
If it has LOTUS , people might confuse it with LEXUS, and if it has then ABDCC triangle in a circle symbol with no wording the average person wouldnt know what it meant. hope, its sort of like finding a key with a prancing horse and thinking it goes to a Mustand or Pinto instead of a Ferrari.

·
Registered
289 Posts
if someone picked up your car key (any car with remote), the person can literally just hit the alarm button and find your car in 5 seconds.

solution? - install a hidden fuel pump switch OR I have heard having a clutch petal is the best joy-ride deterrent. 😜

·
Happy To Be Here
2013 Lotus Evora IPS - Carbon Gray
859 Posts
Just put a Toyota keychain on it. Maybe even one that says “I love my Celica”. It’ll still make sense to you, if no one else.

·
Registered
377 Posts
The range of the fob is like 2ft so it would take a while to find the car by luck...

·
Premium Member
1,539 Posts
I always remove my steering wheel when I drive to work. And I always check my keys and wallet so even if I drop my keys; it’ll be hard for anyone to drive off without a steering wheel.

·
Registered
1998 Lotus Esprit V8
68 Posts
I always remove my steering wheel when I drive to work. And I always check my keys and wallet so even if I drop my keys; it’ll be hard for anyone to drive off without a steering wheel.
That's next level stuff...

·
Registered
379 Posts
if someone picked up your car key (any car with remote), the person can literally just hit the alarm button and find your car in 5 seconds.

solution? - install a hidden fuel pump switch OR I have heard having a clutch petal is the best joy-ride deterrent.
except with Lotus you have to be standing right next to the car. Mine has a range of about 2 feet from dashboard lol lol. I just exercise extreme caution with mine so I don't loose it and have backups. I often take a 2nd with me in case battery dies in fob and keep backup fob battery in trunk. I will not be locked out of mine or stranded somewhere lol

1 - 13 of 13 Posts