The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About a month ago, I requested suggestions on NY to CA auto shippers. Several people suggested not using DAS auto, but I didn't listen. I am now here to tell you that this outfit is about as unprofessional as it gets. They have pushed the delivery date back twice, at a week each time. They let the car sit for a week, then move it to NJ where it has sat for another 2 weeks. Do not use these people, save yourself the headache. Their prices are reasonable, but it isn't worth it (unless you do not care when your car arrives). Their customer service people basically just hang up on you (clearly they have more calls and complaints coming in than they can handle).

·
Registered
4,452 Posts
Intercity Lines has the best service ever.. :) But you need to steer clear of the Barret Jackson Auction dates because they're the offical shippers for them..

·
Registered
6,981 Posts
I used www.horselesscarriage.com on the recommendation of my dealer. I was nervous, but it turned out that I shouldn't have been. I was so impressed. The driver called me occasionally to let me know where he was and what he thought his ETA would be (car transported from CA to TX), he showed up exactly when and where he said he would, he had my car completely shrink-wrapped he literally had to cut away the wrapping before he could get inside to back the car out, the inside of his trailer was scrubbed clean, etc. I mean you could really tell these guys take pride in a job well done.

I don't have any connection to them whatsoever, but want to give credit where it's due.

xtn

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
DAS = Dependable Auto Shippers? I used them once in 2000 with no problems. I dropped the car at their Hayward depot. It showed up in Dallas as promised.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I've also not had a good experience with DAS the one time I used them. My main issue was the poor communication. I guess I should be happy that I got the car without it being damaged, but I'm definitely not using them again either. Conversely, I got a quote from www.a1autotransport.com and they were terrific. I definitely would use them again.

·
Registered
8 Posts
You asked for advice, got it, and then ignored it and were unhappy with the outcome???? I'm not sure the shipper is the issue here.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I've used Intercity and Reliable in the past with good results. Unfortunately both are pretty backed up... Intercity gave me a 3 week window and Reliable said they couldn't even pick up for 4 weeks.
I decided to go with D.A.S. to ship my car from CA to MI. They said there were no delays and I would have my car within 2 weeks with no problems. So I gave them my CC# (which was charged instantly for the full amount) and had the car dropped off at their "terminal" (I pictured a warehouse of some sort, it turned out to be just a tow yard).
Well it's been 5 days and my nsx is still sitting at the tow yard. I called their customer service and waited 20 minutes (they don't even have music... it just rings and rings) before someone answered. apparently there is a 7 day delay nationwide.
I asked if i can get a refund and have a different shipper pick up my car. "Sure but you will be charged $50/day for storage at the terminal". I call their reservation number (which is answered immediately of course) pretending to be a new customer. I get the same "there are no delays, we can get it to you within 2 weeks no problem".

I had a bad feeling when they charged me $50 extra (discounted from $100) to have my car loaded on the upper level to ensure nothing drips on to it.... not an issue with other carriers since they use car covers. I should have gone with my gut feeling and went with a different transporter.

I will personally recommend all state to state auto transport, they have experienced staff that has years of professional experience.

·
Registered
7 Posts
DAS shipped a car from Boston to Atlanta. The car was in perfect condition when it left Boston, but arrived in Atlanta with a broken tail-light. I did not notice the smashed light until the following day. I submitted a claim, with photographs etc. The company refused to honor it, stating that I had not reported it immediately on receipt of the car. They have continued to dispute it and have implied that I may be lying as to the timing of the damage. Personally I will suggest you to go with ASTS. They have experienced staff.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts