The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Gamera The Atomic Turtle
3,349 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know that seems like an obvious question/answer, but I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts. I'm talking standard exige scoops w/ NO GRILLS vs. open stock elise slats. I am not talking about the extra wide scoops from RLS 'cause they are out of my budget.

·
Registered
742 Posts
I noticed a 1* degree difference in freeway cruising temps. They direct more air to the engine for sure.

·
Gamera The Atomic Turtle
3,349 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok - are your scoops meshed? Or completely open? Thanks for the reply btw.

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
Mine are open, and I have a 170Deg thermostat.

If you are running the stock 180Deg thermostat you probably will not notice much, if any, change.

With the 170Deg thermostat & slats my car would run at approx 176~180ish
With the 170Deg thermostat & open scoops my car runs at approx 172~176ish

·
Gamera The Atomic Turtle
3,349 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks.
And your sig is right on.

·
Registered
488 Posts
I have seen some retrofit 2011 Elise side scoops onto older models, and IMO it looks very good. I'd love to replace the side scoops as well as mesh the radiator grills and front ducting.

·
Registered
742 Posts
Ok - are your scoops meshed? Or completely open? Thanks for the reply btw.
Open but couldn't see that there would be a noticable difference between open & mesh.

·
Gamera The Atomic Turtle
3,349 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i've got my oil cooler in the engine bay now, and a rev intercooler, so my bay temperatures are going to be a bit more challenging. The mesh might get in the way of progress in this configuration. I don't care about aesthetics to the extent that I'd keep the stock, crappy looking slats if it cooled the bay better. I was just wondering if in reality, the exige scoops were there to make the car look better, rather than actually "do anything" above & beyond the stock slats.

·
Gamera The Atomic Turtle
3,349 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Are you back in town? How has the car been since the BOE work?
No - I'm still in Kansas - enjoying this beautiful state and 90 degree(eat your hearts out East Coast) - weather.
The car is still being finalized - tuned - (read my last post in forcefed) I think the car is going to be hellatious when I get it back in my hot little hands. It's probably hellatious now, and as soon as Phil is happy - I'm outta here. They have done an incredible job, in zero time. Really Amazing. Can't say enough good about them. Probably be back on the East coast end of next week.

·
Premium Member
2,810 Posts
Sounds like a great trip/experience. Hopefully I'll be able to meet up with you this summer near your little "valley" in NH to see your tourist evasion vehicle first hand. I'm sure my wife would be open to a date without the little ones up to NH. Be safe.

·
Gamera The Atomic Turtle
3,349 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Sounds like a great trip/experience. Hopefully I'll be able to meet up with you this summer near your little "valley" in NH to see your tourist evasion vehicle first hand. I'm sure my wife would be open to a date without the little ones up to NH. Be safe.
You got it. Sounds nice. I'll PM you when I re-enter the atmosphere on that side of the blue marble.

·
Premium Member
2,637 Posts
Slats vs Scoops, comes down to 1 critical (unknown to me) factor. If the air flow over the body ahead of thie intake is laminar (smooth, layered) then a scoop will grab the most air by a large margin. If the air flow is turbulent (swirley, confused) then the slats will reduce the turbulance (they will help align the flow to be more laminar), and result in a greater net amount of usable air. If anyone has a computer model of the air flow (or really good imperical data) this should be resolvable. As a note, most scoops have a larger frontal area, which also skews the math a bit. Comments from other users on temperature difference would point towards laminar flow.

·
Gamera The Atomic Turtle
3,349 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Slats vs Scoops, comes down to 1 critical (unknown to me) factor. If the air flow over the body ahead of thie intake is laminar (smooth, layered) then a scoop will grab the most air by a large margin. If the air flow is turbulent (swirley, confused) then the slats will reduce the turbulance (they will help align the flow to be more laminar), and result in a greater net amount of usable air. If anyone has a computer model of the air flow (or really good imperical data) this should be resolvable. As a note, most scoops have a larger frontal area, which also skews the math a bit. Comments from other users on temperature difference would point towards laminar flow.
I thought it was a good question, most people would assume scoops are the balls - it aint necessarilly so. Some of the coolest fastest race Elises I've seen - still have slats. And the ones that had scoops - no mesh on the scoops.

·
Gamera The Atomic Turtle
3,349 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I believe Thomasio from RLS did airflow with scoops and they flow more air. not sure how he did test.
I think they also make the ultra cool wide scoops. Those definitely flow some air. I'm talking the relatively low profile stock exige scoops (as I picked up a pair cheap and am about to cut the mesh out of them)

·
Registered
2,249 Posts

This link is the best I can offer to answer this question.

·
Premium Member
2,637 Posts
Great video, I never would have guessed the stock slatted side intake draws that much air, it is impressive. The diffuser (even stock) appears to be very functional. It settles it for me, the airflow is just laminar enough and with the wider frontal area, scoops are the winner on total usable air flow into the engine compartment.

·
Gamera The Atomic Turtle
3,349 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
1 - 20 of 21 Posts