The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone tried to take the verticle side wings off their exige? Are they glued on? They must have put those bolts on their for a reason, but I don't want to pull too hard and rip the wing off!

thanks,
robb

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
They are glued on.. The bolts are just for looks.

·
Registered
5,094 Posts
from what i have learned watching (listening to steve matchet) F1 racing they say those end plates are to keep the air flowing over the wing to help with downforce, and stop air from escaping off the side of the wing.

keep them on, even if they can be removed.

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
from what i have learned watching (listening to steve matchet) F1 racing they say those end plates are to keep the air flowing over the wing to help with downforce, and stop air from escaping off the side of the wing.

keep them on, even if they can be removed.
+1

Their purpose is basically the same as the upturned wingtips that you see on newer passenger jets... they help prevent "spillover" of airflow at the tips of the wing (more lift (airplane) or downforce (car), less turbulence)

·
Premium Member
1,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you
I appreciate the input and fully understand what they do. My concern is that the thickness and poor foil construction of the wings are creating too much drag.
I was going to try and remove it to build aluminum ones for a friend on her exige.

Just another fun project.

thanks!
robb

1 - 5 of 5 Posts