The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,366 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Actually this is in combination with a DL1. I'd like to hook my OBD2 port directly to my DL1, but I'm a little unsure of which connector to get:

CAN OBD2 Interface
Serial OBD2 Interface

·
Inactive
831 Posts
What year is your car? My 05 was ISO9141, but I believe the later vehicles were CAN, but don't know the transisition year.

·
Registered
3,366 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've got a 2006 Exige.

·
Registered
10,000 Posts
No you dont, 2008+ cars are OBD II CAN enabled only, i did just do an ecu mod that allows CAN obd2+ for 2007 cars for the DASH2+CAN+DL1. you want the CAN ECU interface if you're going to try to attempt reading the basic info, speed, rpm, coolant temp, fuel level.

however i've gotta say, i spent 4 long days trying to get the damn thing to work properly, i did originally do a decode for the stock CAN message, and I could never get the RPM right, it'd display ok one place, then not another, and there aren't many parameters, i wanted to keep the old CAN protocol because i thought the owner wanted keep the original cluster, once i found he was ok ditching it, i spent a few long hours redoing the ecu at the track for the CAN OBD2, i got it all working again in the snoop side, then we got the ECU programmed up but on track the DASH2 just kept loosing the information, it may be the dash2 itself was faulty, but it drove me consistently nuts.

I couldn't figure out a way to get it push fuel level over the obdii can though.

·
Registered
3,366 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Charlie.

It seems like I'll just go with the regular hookups.

·
Registered
42 Posts
No you dont, 2008+ cars are OBD II CAN enabled only, i did just do an ecu mod that allows CAN obd2+ for 2007 cars for the DASH2+CAN+DL1. you want the CAN ECU interface if you're going to try to attempt reading the basic info, speed, rpm, coolant temp, fuel level.

however i've gotta say, i spent 4 long days trying to get the damn thing to work properly, i did originally do a decode for the stock CAN message, and I could never get the RPM right, it'd display ok one place, then not another, and there aren't many parameters, i wanted to keep the old CAN protocol because i thought the owner wanted keep the original cluster, once i found he was ok ditching it, i spent a few long hours redoing the ecu at the track for the CAN OBD2, i got it all working again in the snoop side, then we got the ECU programmed up but on track the DASH2 just kept loosing the information, it may be the dash2 itself was faulty, but it drove me consistently nuts.

I couldn't figure out a way to get it push fuel level over the obdii can though.
I'm sure you updated the firmware on the Dash2 and the DL-1 to the latest versions (available from kieran at race-technology.com). I was having similar flakiness and that took care of it. I'd be very interested in the modifications to the ECU to support CAN, as the OBD2 version is a real kludge and there's just not that much available through it.

·
Registered
10,000 Posts
it was a new dash2, and the latest software from race technologies website, so yeah it was all the lastest stuff, unless it was something RT uk or al wasn't aware of, which would be annoying, i spent a few long days on it :)

there's more on the OBD II version than there is on the CAN, the 2007 cup car ought to be K line OBDII so would need to be reflashed to 08+ spec anyway.

The pre 08 CAN only shows the fuel, rpm, speed, water temp and mil basically, OBDII can you get throttle, speed, engine speed, short term and long term fuel trims and the output of the lamda sensor, and something called auxillary, but no fuel.

I'm working on an AIM dash with more parameters that could be used for the dash2 as well, i just don't know if i want to do it, the software drives me potty!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts