The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in the process of purchasing a 1973 Seven from Florida (I'm in VA). I have been batting around getting a "pre-purchase inspection" before finalizing the purchase. I was just wondering if anyone has used a particular national service like AAG, local mechanics, local appraisal services or if you just "take a chance" with the owner's description.

Also, any of you FL guys know anything about Auto Check of South Florida (in Fort Lauderdale AC | car inspections| Inspection services |professional auto technicians| Fort Lauderdale )?

Thanks.
RD

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
Road Dad, I can't address Florida inspection services. However, having stalked many vintage cars (Morgan +4 and +8, Ferrari 308, Triumph TR3, VW Ghia and Porsche 914/6) for my eventual purchase, I recommend personally seeing and/or having a pro inspect the car. If you can have someone who is an expert in the marque inspect it, I would strongly recommend it.

About 10 years ago, I was about ready to pull the trigger on a beautiful Ferrari 308...until I had the car inspected by a reputable independent, and the inspection report revealed a fair amount of deferred maintenance. The seller and car were located in San Francisco, and I was in L.A. The seller wouldn't adjust the price to offset the necessary work, so I killed the deal based on input from the inspecting mechanic. It was the best $200 I ever spent.

Three years ago, I bought a VW Ghia sight unseen from an out-of-state seller. Though, I did as much due diligence as one could do on a remote basis...was too busy to fly 1,000 miles and inspect it myself, and I did not have it inspected by a third party. I figured for the relatively small amount of money I was spending, how bad could things go wrong? Should have known better...now I do.

The car was not entirely as represented...especially on the mechanical front. I would have not likely bought the car had I personally inspected it. Instead, I paid market price for a "restored" car that needed to be sorted out mechanically...mis-matched front brake calipers, brittle brake lines, brake fluid that had not been changed in years, electrical gremlins, heater that did not work, window lifts that were shot...but it sure looked pretty in photos.

Nothing like seeing it yourself or having a pro see it for you.

·
Registered
7,115 Posts
i had a an inspection done of a 911 cab. from one of the big exotic dealers in ft. lauderdale (when i lived in va) arranged it all before i got there, test drove the car to the local porsche mechanics shop.

based on things i discovered through that inspection - i came back with a revised offer - and deal did not go through, came home with a M100 instead.

a seven is a lot more straight forward - but still, i would reccomend it at most it will cost you like 100-150 bucks and you may find thousands in repairs an maintainace for your first year, and can then make you descisions and budget.

·
Registered
2,376 Posts
Grassroots Motorsports may be able to recommend someone.
There is a good appraiser down there listed in Hemmings also.
You could look for fanatics in the area too.

·
Registered
2,524 Posts
It's money well spent whether the inspector finds any problems or not. Either way, the more information you have, the better your negotiating position.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts