The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 136 Posts

·
Registered
826 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First let me say that I am an aggressive driver, I get it from also being a motorcycle rider as well. The safest place in a car or bike is ALONE on the road, so I will use my acceleration to get me into a nice safe open area. But let me also state that I NEVER create traffic. I never create chaos around me. I'm always looking in front of me, making decisions about what to do with me and my car on the road.

That being said, I've been having a problem in traffic and on freeway on ramps as of late, in addition to 2 other instances. Please, let me elaborate.

1 - Driving down my alley on a weekday morning I see what looks to be an old lady up ahead of me, say 50 feet. The road is HORRENDOUS in this alley, so I go SLOW.....slow = what my car feels like idling in 1st gear. I'm not trying to SLOW my car down, I'm just kinda' letting it do it's thing in 1st or 2nd gear. As I approach her it's now obvious she had STOPPED when I first saw her to wait for me so that she could shake her fist at me, and yell something as I passed by.

a) I saw her, good lord I probably saw her before she saw me
b) I was 50 feet away going NO more than 20 mph MAX
c) There was enough room for 3 more of her, and 1 more of me side by side in this alley.

So WTF...why was she screaming at me....I literally could almost go no slower if I tried, and she was in no danger. I'll chalk it up to old age and Chrome Orange.

2 - I'm stuck in traffic behind some lady in a Toyota 4-Runner, 2 lanes, we are both in the right lane. It's then obvious we are both stopped because there is a kick ass VALET stand in this lane, great. So she creeps around the valet, and I'm behind her doing the same. I'm in first gear, and we creep by as any 2 cars in traffic would creep by the same blocked lane.

After we clear it, I notice the lane to my left is empty, WOOT, time to get alone. BUT HEY, as I'm passing her, she's SCREAMING at me and yep, flipping me off. When we get up to the light, she decides she wants to tell me I'm a dick..I probably treat people like sh*t..I was all over her ass..she knows all the cops in Culver City..blah blah blah. I said "LOOK, I'm happy, it's called traffic, look behind you, there is a car ON YOUR ASS RIGHT NOW..get over it" and move on with my life.

a) I'm not sure but when you are in traffic you are in traffic no, cars are close both in front of and behind no?
b) Are you really "riding someones ass" when you are both going 5, creeping around some valet booth?
c) She lied, nobody that crazy has any friends.

SO WTF..did I deserve all of that? Again, I'm going to assume that seeing a Chrome Orange Exige in your rear view mirror just simply elicits a very angry response.

BUT THAT'S NOT ALL

3 - Just today I'm entering a freeway behind a Toyota 4-Runner (HMM!!!!). So I was behind him...I guess we were both going say 50 or so entering the freeway. I was probably 1 Lotus length behind him..I wasn't swerving around or anything "agressive." As we get to the merge point, AFTER the solid white line, I pull around him and continue over to the fast lane while noticing that...YEP....he's flipping me off.

a) How many car lengths do I have to be behind someone before they wont hate me.
b) Am I not allowed to go the speed limit and change lanes?
c) What is it with 4-Runners.

I have ONE more story, but I can't type anymore at work. So WTF, does anyone else feel that their auto elicits more anger than joy in others?

·
Registered
826 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
oh ok, the 4th incident was 2 days ago. I wouldn't let this girl in a Prius into the left turn lane at the last moment. But you know what, to bad.......in morning traffic, you don't get to not pay attention. NOT paying attention while driving RUINS EVERYTHING and I'm not going to allow it by giving people a reward for doing it.

I'm confident she saw the line of 20 cars waiting to turn left and said "oh I'm blonde and they can see me in this glass dome turd of a car"....so screw her

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
3 - Just today I'm entering a freeway behind a Toyota 4-Runner (HMM!!!!). So I was behind him...I guess we were both going say 50 or so entering the freeway. I was probably 1 Lotus length behind him..I wasn't swerving around or anything "agressive." As we get to the merge point, AFTER the solid white line, I pull around him and continue over to the fast lane while noticing that...YEP....he's flipping me off.
To me it seems like your driving elicits the anger, not the car. One Lotus Elise length is 12.5 feet, and at 50 mph you cover that distance in 0.17 seconds. Even if you momentarily glanced away, chances are you would hit the person in front of you if they braked suddenly. You need to redefine your idea of "aggressive" driving, since what you think isn't aggressive is dangerous and stupid, in a car or on a bike.

·
Registered
826 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I feel very far away from the car in front of me when this happened today....I was honestly shocked he would be so angry. Perhaps I do change lanes quickly, but again I'm not interested in dilly dallying my way around the crowded Los Angeles freeways.

I don't drive in my rear view mirrors as much as others? I've never been upset by something someone is doing behind me? I've also never rear-ended anyone, and more than that, have only been in one auto accident my entire life on earth. So I mean the data suggest I am a safe driver?

I guess I can see how if you were and idiot and were driving in your side view mirror and saw my low car pass you it could even look like I'm more on your ass than I am as well. So I can see the anger if these people think I'm about to smash my nice car into the back of their piece of junk. :)

But in all honestly, I do believe that "this car" removes some "benifit of the doubt" when it comes to the general population judging your driving habits.

·
Registered
826 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
To me it seems like your driving elicits the anger, not the car. One Lotus Elise length is 12.5 feet, and at 50 mph you cover that distance in 0.17 seconds. Even if you momentarily glanced away, chances are you would hit the person in front of you if they braked suddenly. You need to redefine your idea of "aggressive" driving, since what you think isn't aggressive is dangerous and stupid, in a car or on a bike.
oh, and I don't momentarily glance away from the road when I'm driving behind another car with a human being at the wheel..why would someone do that? Why would you "look away" from the road?

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
Eric,

Calm down, we're all Lotus brothers here.
I don't want to offend you but "agressive driving" in traffic will eventually cause an accident. Can you find an alternate route and avoid the traffic?

I avoid traffic like the plague when I drive my Elise. If I have to encounter traffic, I drive the BEATER. I save the Elise for the weekend canyon drives and the track.

That's my opinion (which is always wrong anyway...):shrug:

--Hal

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
oh, and I don't momentarily glance away from the road when I'm driving behind another car with a human being at the wheel..why would someone do that? Why would you "look away" from the road?
To check behind you so you don't merge into someone that is lurking in your blindspot when, let's say, you're on a freeway onramp. Weird, looking away from what is in front of you is actually required to be a safe driver. Do you not do this?

·
Registered
11,221 Posts
I usually get flipped off when I honk at someone for doing something stupid. I usually honk to let someone know they're endangering me, or they did something really dumb (which happens a lot in NY...it's just how we drive, but sometimes it crosses the line).

I don't understand why my horn is interpreted as something offensive, like it's my way of yelling at the driver. It's simply my way of informing them to pay attention more.

The other time I usually get yelled at is leaving my house into the main road. Sometimes I am waiting for a passing car in the far lane to go by so I can get in. There are no other oncoming cars in either lane. So what do I do? Being the smart New Yorker I am, I pull into the empty lane with no cars so I can make sure to merge into the road as quickly as possible. I AM NOT in this person's way at all. For some reason, even though my foot is on the brake, this scares the crap out of the person, and they proceed to yell at me and give looks as if I was about to hit them, and in my mind I'm thinking, "There is and was no threat. Now watch the damn road in front of you before you hit something."

Maybe some of you will argue this is stupid on my part, but I live in NY, and that's how you have to drive to get around. SORRY!

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
May I suggest that following anyone, no matter what the speed, less than 5-7 Lotus-lengths can cause some seriously pissed off people. It's just wrong to tailgate.

Secondly, I had a big problem dealing with my road manners. After years of idiocy, I've found the best way to deal with people is to SLOW DOWN... so let me give you an example of what I mean.

I am driving down I-10 traveling at 65MPH. A Boi Racer pulls up to my blind spot in his Burnt Orange Acura CL Type-S. I know he is there, I see him in my little circle mirror. I speed up little bit and he follows. I let off and get back down to 65, and he mirrors my efforts. There is no one behind me or to the right or left of me, so I hit the brakes hard and drop to 50 pretty quickly. Aforementioned Acura slips by and I can resume my route without fear for being boxed in, until the next douche bag comes.

I had to actually say to myself, "this guy is being an A-HOLE, I better slow down."

Ah, and then the inevitable tailgaters... like you described, finding it acceptable to be within 1 car length of my rear end... to them, and you I find a new lane. I have no wish to slow anyone down. I have no wish to hold up traffic. I have no desire to have anyone up my ass, however, and find it EXTREMELY annoying.

And one last word - riding like that on a bike is the equivalent to riding with shorts, a tank top, and flip flops with no helmet - meaning one is a Squid/Organ Donor for riding in such a fashion.

I don't understand why my horn is interpreted as something offensive, like it's my way of yelling at the driver. It's simply my way of informing them to pay attention more.

The other time I usually get yelled at is leaving my house into the main road. Sometimes I am waiting for a passing car in the far lane to go by so I can get in. There are no other oncoming cars in either lane. So what do I do? Being the smart New Yorker I am, I pull into the empty lane with no cars so I can make sure to merge into the road as quickly as possible. I AM NOT in this person's way at all. For some reason, even though my foot is on the brake, this scares the crap out of the person, and they proceed to yell at me and give looks as if I was about to hit them, and in my mind I'm thinking, "There is and was no threat. Now watch the damn road in front of you before you hit something."

Maybe some of you will argue this is stupid on my part, but I live in NY, and that's how you have to drive to get around. SORRY!
I don't think it's stupid at all, as a former NY'er from birth to the better half of my life, I agree with you as most NY'ers try to do things thinking a few steps ahead... but there are those who can't understand that and interpret your horn and entering traffic as impatience.

·
Registered
2,715 Posts
3 Years of daily driving in Los Angeles and I have not been given the finger yet while just driving along minding my own biz, that is really strange it happens to others. Then again I do NOT drive aggressively on the streets at all and I don't tailgate or cut people off etc. I save the fast stuff for weekends in a safe environment. Occasionally on the way to work I have some fun corners I will hit in a spirited manner if there is nobody around (which is rare)

I have received a few return fingers when I have been the first finger flyer, like somebody cutting me off or almost hitting me but that is to be expected, I try to keep my finger giving to a minimum though, too many crazy gits in LA .

·
Registered
365 Posts
To me it seems like your driving elicits the anger, not the car.
+1

Sounds like you're always shooting the first available gap. In any car, it's kind of a d1ck move, though sometimes necessary. It's especially annoying on entrance ramps if the ramp converts to an Exit-only off ramp.

1 car-length at 50mph? Yeah, that's a problem on public roads and warrants a stink-eye at most. Then, if you cut the person off by merging first and preventing them from merging when they expected to, the salute was warranted.

Think of it this way...if you find you're annoyed/angry while making these maneuvers, it'll be perceived that way by other drivers and will incite a response.

I think it could be argued that continuous acceleration through the pack is not the safest way to travel on public roads. If I'm closer the rear of the pack, I prefer to let the pack pass and hang out in the wake. This does require you to be aware of what's happening behind you. -poke-

Deceleration is as useful as Acceleration when maneuvering through traffic.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I havent been flipped off in the lotus, or in any other of my sportscars. I can't think of the last time I have been flipped off driving any car. It sounds like you need to slow it down in the traffic and be more courteous. Or maybe there are a lot of angry people around you. I can't tell from here.

·
Registered
6,640 Posts
I've been shot at while driving (not in the Lotus, I was in a Fiero I used to own. So it's somewhat understandable)...but never flipped off.

It's all relative.

·
Registered
580 Posts
I treat the majority of idiots on the road like the rolling traffic cones they are. Camped out in the left lane, jamming themselves into lanes at toll booths, doing 87 things that don't involve driving while behind the wheel, etc, etc.

The simple fact of the matter is that the majority of "drivers" on the road have absolutely no idea how to drive, or any inclination to learn. So, I treat them accordingly, and disregard them as the rolling obstacles they are no matter what appendages they stick out their windows.

That's not to say I drive like an ass, however, in my experience "going along to get along" in today's traffic-- especially in something as small and fragile as a Lotus, and most especially when the majority of idiot drivers also have a chip on their shoulder about anything that's fast and "exotic" looking-- is just not worth the effort.

There are rare exceptions, sure. The average guy chugging along in the left lane who is actually alert enough to notice you closing, and gets out of the way. The guy with the out of state tags who honestly doesn't know what lane he's supposed to be in before he gets to a gore point and needs to cut in. Those people I wave to, or let in, or otherwise be generally amiable toward.

Unfortunately, perhaps 1 in 50 cars I run into on a daily basis are anything like that. So, screw 'em. By the time they've put their coffee down, hung up their cell phone, rolled down their window and extended their finger, I'm two miles up the road, and they're blissfully forgotten like the irrelevant morons they are.

Life is short, drive accordingly.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Nope, never get flipped off in the Lotus.

Frequently get the Horny Devil sign...

and often get pointed at by very small children, it was intimidating at first, but I got used to it :rolleyes:

·
Registered
7,002 Posts
3 Years of daily driving in Los Angeles and I have not been given the finger yet while just driving along minding my own biz, that is really strange it happens to others. Then again I do NOT drive aggressively on the streets at all and I don't tailgate or cut people off etc. I save the fast stuff for weekends in a safe environment. Occasionally on the way to work I have some fun corners I will hit in a spirited manner if there is nobody around (which is rare)

I have received a few return fingers when I have been the first finger flyer, like somebody cutting me off or almost hitting me but that is to be expected, I try to keep my finger giving to a minimum though, too many crazy gits in LA .
+1 - never been flipped off in three + years of Los Angeles daily driving. Well, except by other Lotus drivers... then yes, on many occasions.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I agree that doing the shoot out into the first available free space is considered by many as a dick move. For some it is the car and its percieved "status." People just assume "Dick in car" or "Guy with small penis syndrome" and are looking for things.

But the old people are totoally different. They are just off the chart. I had one scream at me that I was speeding in my Delorean AND I WAS SIMPLY BACKING OUT OF MY DRIVEWAY!!! Finally he kicked my car one day as he walked by while I was at a stop sign and put a $1,500 dent in the side...fight was on at that point! :evil:

·
Registered
3,314 Posts
if you were "one Lotus length" behind me going 50mph, I'd give you the finger too. I don't care how alert you are and how good your brakes are, if there is an obstruction (say, a block of wood) on the road, you won't be able to avoid it. do you know how far you travel in one second going 50mph?

I had rigged up a water pump in the trunk of my old 1990 5.0 Mustang with the nozzle pointing out from the trunk, just for ass-riders on the road. There is simply no reason to be that close behind someone on the road, you'd save maybe a few a second on your trip while subjecting everyone to unnecessary danger.

·
Registered
11,221 Posts
I agree that doing the shoot out into the first available free space is considered by many as a dick move. For some it is the car and its percieved "status." People just assume "Dick in car" or "Guy with small penis syndrome" and are looking for things.

But the old people are totoally different. They are just off the chart. I had one scream at me that I was speeding in my Delorean AND I WAS SIMPLY BACKING OUT OF MY DRIVEWAY!!! Finally he kicked my car one day as he walked by while I was at a stop sign and put a $1,500 dent in the side...fight was on at that point! :evil:

Being a southern guy, I'm assuming you kicked his ass. I don't think it's culturally acceptable to draw your weapon on someone for that, so I'm assuming you didn't do that.

1 - 20 of 136 Posts