The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I was wondering if most of you do work yourself or do you pay to get it done? Would you all trust one of those quick coolant flush places or rather just do it yourself?

·
Registered
3,010 Posts
For oil changes and smallish jobs I work on the car myself. Other than that I take it to the local Lotus dealer.

I wouldn't take it to a normal shop for fear of scratches or joy rides.

·
Premium Member
2,195 Posts
problem is you cannot even trust them to pick it up

I have used budget places in the past, but when I was watching them.

tires alignment etc

·
Registered
908 Posts
I do all of the work on all of my vehicles. Number one reason is that I enjoy doing the work. Secondary reason is that I have grown tired of coming in behind "professionals" to finish/clean up their jobs. If you are not prepared to work on these cars yourself, spend some time to find a mechanic you can trust. Depending on your location, you can ask here for recommendations.

·
Scott M
233 Posts
Hello,
I was wondering if most of you do work yourself or do you pay to get it done? Would you all trust one of those quick coolant flush places or rather just do it yourself?
Having experienced too many shop errors across all vehicles I've owned over the last 25 years, I'll do anything which I know I can handle + jobs which seem doable based on research. To your specific question, I intend to do my own coolant flush (in the Spring) on the BMWs I own and my Evora even though I've never done such a job before. I probably have only average skills compared to fellow Lotus owners and to my SCCA autocross peers.

·
Premium Member
563 Posts
I haven't taken a vehicle to a shop since I don't remember. Not only do I tend to have old, weird, or both vehicles, but on top of that I'm a better mechanic than most of the people I paid to touch the car.

Add in that I find it a theraputic hobby (I work on a computer all day, so doing stuff with my hands is stress relief) and you end up with a guy who did an engine freshen and clutch job on the '92 Celica year before last, and did an intake manifold swap on the '99 Grand Marquis a couple before that.

I'll be putting a new convertible top on the Celica in spring...

Last winter the Elise got a new oil cooler and some gauges. This winter I take the front clam off to fix the AC, install a heater valve, etc.

·
Premium Member
457 Posts
I'll echo what majority have siad. I wouldn't recommend taking it to a "pepboys" type of shop unless you have a mechanic there that knows our cars. I've probably have done all the maintenance work that didn't require clam off jobs. Anything clam off, I was fortunate enough to have a well known Lotus mechanic in our community with TJ to do some work and have a look over of my car. Not that it's difficult to do(lots of DIY), but having TJ look over it vs me for the first time just seemed the right thing to do.

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
I‘ve been working on my own sports cars for a long time. Currently in the midst of a few upgrades on my 05 Elise. And it helps to have a home shop with everything you need.

·
Super Moderator
1,781 Posts
I only trust my local tech - Doctor Lotus to do the work on my car. He does the work right in front of me and he explains everything in detail.

·
Addict
1,262 Posts
I do the majority of the work myself or take the part out (i.e. transmission) and ship it to the expert. I've had a race shop work on a couple items and had to then fix it myself anyway. We have a good shop here that I have yet to use as I can do most of the work myself, it's not a complex car. Alignments I still have done, haven't tackled that project myself just yet.

·
He's on fire!
3,112 Posts
Being anal about quality also means that it takes me much longer to accomplish the same work, so I agree with others that its good to identify a trusted person to farm work out to beyond what you want to do yourself (especially if that answer is "all").

·
Registered
6,972 Posts
One of the best things about these cars is that they are built about as complicated as a WW II airplane. Super easy to work with. Normal tools will do, but some flat topped jack stands and a jack helper are very good to have.

I’m no mechanic but I put on the supercharger and we changed out a transmission in my garage on jack stands. Hardly a bolt on it that I’ve not turned a dozen times. Honestly as much fun as scaring a passenger who wonders if the tires will hold in a fast sweeper.

My car just plain (seems to) drive better when I do the stuff myself. Would have missed some great opportunities to savor the car if I’d let anyone else do it. But could have added lightness from the bolts they lost.

·
Premium Member
431 Posts
I love working on my Lotus, but it only. My F150 and Armada go to the dealer/mechanic without a moment's thought.

The biggest heartache I have is my free time is limited and at times would really just rather write a check for someone else to do it, but I have trust issues and no local dealer. BOE is 6 hrs away and, to my knowledge, the closest option. This is the number one item I caution new buyers about when they're considering an Elige.

·
Registered
265 Posts
I do all the work on my Elise myself. I just got done changing the clutch, which was not a fun job. That said, I agree with the others, I would never take my Lotus to Pep Boys, Jiffy Lube, etc. If you don't have a Lotus dealer nearby, find an independent shop that specializes in European or exotic cars.

·
Premium Member
11,395 Posts
Except for alignment and A/C, I'm the mechanic.

·
Registered
6,972 Posts
Warning. It begins with an oil change and this can happen to you:

Yes that’s a transmission in the foreground.

·
** Acme Super Moderator ** ** The Enforcer **
6,763 Posts
I‘ve been working on my own sports cars for a long time. Currently in the midst of a few upgrades on my 05 Elise. And it helps to have a home shop with everything you need.
View attachment 1255980
That is quite the handy item to have in your garage. I'm jealous to say the least.

San

1 - 20 of 32 Posts