The Lotus Cars Community banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Pro-Alloy setup with front mounted hex. The kit included the puller fans and a new radiator for the engine. It also allowed you to keep the A/C condenser, too.
Later,
Eldon
Good morning Eldon,

Forgive my ignorance here, but isn’t stacking the radiator and hex essentially robbing Peter to pay Paul? The problem with our a2a intercoolers is that the radiator hot air was getting into the intercoolers from the roof scoop. I undwearand that you have an a2w intercooler, but isn’t the same principle applied here? Unless of course, hex is mounted like Darksol at the bottom with floor vents.

To OP,

I have zero mechanical abilities to do an oil change (ok that’s a lie I tell myself to not do it), but I always take my car to a reputable shop in my local area shop who knows how to service a Lotus. Just don’t do it at pep boys or generic shops unless you know for a considerable fact that you can trust them with the complexity of operating on your car. Drive 100-200 miles for a service if you have to.

·
Registered
1,462 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,037 Posts
Good morning Eldon,

Forgive my ignorance here, but isn’t stacking the radiator and hex essentially robbing Peter to pay Paul? The problem with our a2a intercoolers is that the radiator hot air was getting into the intercoolers from the roof scoop. I undwearand that you have an a2w intercooler, but isn’t the same principle applied here? Unless of course, hex is mounted like Darksol at the bottom with floor vents.

To OP,

I have zero mechanical abilities to do an oil change (ok that’s a lie I tell myself to not do it), but I always take my car to a reputable shop in my local area shop who knows how to service a Lotus. Just don’t do it at pep boys or generic shops unless you know for a considerable fact that you can trust them with the complexity of operating on your car. Drive 100-200 miles for a service if you have to.
All you have to do is take into account the order in which you stack the radiators. Keep the coldest toward the inlet and the hottest near the outlet. As far as the hot air coming off the radiator and going through the roof scoop to get to the A2A ICs, have you ever looked at the size of the hole the air has to pass through? The amount of pressure drop from the roof hole to the A2A IC is huge thus the air speed becomes minimal. Thus not much cooling effect for the IC which is why most have picked up air from side scoops. Somebody opened up the bottom of their roof scoop, thus bypassing the restriction, and feed that volume of air to their A2A IC and I believe they reported a considerable drop in temperature.

Later,
Eldon

·
Registered
46 Posts
Local Lotus dealer with a certified Tech that I have met, talked to, and trust. He attends the yearly Lotus workshop for a week. I would never go to a chain. They would not even know how to lift the car.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I rarely let anyone else touch my cars, and when I do, I'm punished for it. During the factory oil cooler line recall: rear tray was left off the car (discovered by me at next oil change, no apology offered, "do you want US to put it back on?") and two fasteners on the front under tray were stripped during its re-attachment leaving a rattle only slightly less annoying than the prospect of pestering the dealer to atone for the blunder. Fantastic body shop, but service department can't be bothered to return phone calls for parts or get basic work done right. I give up.

·
Registered
269 Posts
The Lotus Gods have tested me as well.

I think it helps to eat your own dogfood on these vehicles. I find it therapeutic as well, and I have no concerns when wheeled over in a curve. I have crawled all over this thing, and of course the requisite blood on the engine for good measure.

Wow, I've never seen a cylinder gummed up that badly...:LOL:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello,

I was wondering if most of you do work yourself or do you pay to get it done? Would you all trust one of those quick coolant flush places or rather just do it yourself?
Nobody touches my Lotus' but me with the exception of an alignment shop and machine shop I trust. I've seen way too many screwups from places like Pep Boys or Jiffy Lube. I took my work van to Jiffy Lube one time for an oil change and air filter. They tightened the oil pan drain plug so tight it stripped all the threads and didn't pull the doghouse to change the air filter, just jammed the new one in there. It was all crunched up and doing nothing to filter the air. Never again!

21 - 32 of 32 Posts