The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my wife proved herself awesome once more and suggested that this year for the holidays, we just get ourselves each a new car stereo setup for our vehicles.

I'm especially interested in units that fit in the dash easily and that provide/accommodate navigation and bluetooth handsfree connectivity.

Please take this opportunity to brag about your particular aftermarket audio setup here to make my shopping for one easier. :D

·
Acme Super Moderator ** The Enforcer **
7,598 Posts
With my setup I can't hear the stereo much over 35 mph. The audio in this car is the supercharger whine and wind whistling through my carbon roof.

San

·
Premium Member
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
With my setup I can't hear the stereo much over 35 mph. The audio in this car is the supercharger whine and wind whistling through my carbon roof.

San
Yes! I have the same current audio setup! I am looking to hear music now too, though. :)

·
Acme Super Moderator ** The Enforcer **
7,598 Posts
Yes! I have the same current audio setup! I am looking to hear music now too, though. :)
Wrong car. You'll add heaviness, the opposite of Colin Chapman's plan.

Seriously, if you're pursuing an audio system in an Elise/Exige you're wasting your money (that you could spend making it faster/lighter/etc).

San

·
Registered
5,418 Posts
Oh enough with all the nonsense. I have great tunes and hear them at any speed. Key products are a alpine digital amp and a the JL Elise Specific Stealthbox sub-woofer.

Yeah yeah blah blah with the no stereo car purist lol. I can have both with the turn of the knob. My stereo sounds great

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
I installed an Alpine that had (at the time was rare) iPod control. Replaced the speakers with Focals because they are good quality, but more importantly have a traditional grill, I don't care for these grills that look like car wheels.

Can listen to all my music, but I wouldn't say it sounds great.

Radio reception has always been the weakest point of the cars setup.

See my sig on some info on how to do it.

·
Registered
278 Posts
I agree, wrong car. However my elise came with the JL sub like DiPiazzaVA, installed by the previous owner. Although there's an amp, I can barely hear the sub, or rear speakers. I'm debating on removing the whole thing.

As for head units, I have the Alpine iDA-x305 (previous install). I'm on the fence about it, and might replace it with the Parrot Asteroid. Do you have to have integrated navigation? I'd rather use a navigation app on my smart phone (iPhone).

Alpine iDA-x305
Pros:
* No CD player
* bluetooth add-on
* Plays audio through 30-pin 'iDevice' cable connected via USB.

Cons:
* Uses proprietary Alpine 30-pin cable, which is short. A regular 30-pin cable will not work. Although, since it is USB, I was able to reconnect it to the head unit with a longer USB cable, so that I can mount my iPhone in a vent mount.

Others:
* Shows album art on head unit.
* iPod controls through head unit. This was a plus a few years ago, and may still be for some people. In the direction that technology is going, I'd rather connect my device (iPhone) over bluetooth and, use my device for playback controls.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
blaupunkt mp68, bluetooth music streaming and USB. and i can hear mine at any speed with the windows up, and way past highway speeds with the top down.
And I don't see why you aren't allowed to enjoy music (or any other kind of audio) in the Elige!

·
Such Administrating
6,852 Posts
I recently bought the kenwood kiv-701 and love it. No nav but does everything I want it to. Ipod controls, pandora controls, can add rear view camera, can watch movies/videos etc etc. If you want bluetooth, just step up to the kiv-901.

I wanted something that didn't have the crappy looking digital displays, I wanted an actual color screen, and it looks fantastic. It has no cd player though, but I don't think I've listened to a cd in a few years.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Used Focal 5" speakers for sale

Front speakers make all the difference. I kept my Blaukpunkt head unit, but swapped out the front stock speakers with Focals, and there's a world of difference! I have a great pair used of Focal 5" 2-way speakers. I was going to put these in the fronts, but ended up putting in 4" speakers in the front and going with a bass amp for the low end. These are used, but in excellent condition, never abused, they sound great! Upgrade your sound with these. Price is $90 (shipped within continental U.S.). Model is Access 130CA1 component speaker system, features a 5" woofer with a stiff, woven glass fibre cone for precise bass and midrange reproduction. PM me for details.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Kenwood usually offers 4volt preouts where similarly priced Alpine decks don't.

My criteria is usually 3 sets of 4 volt preouts and supports A2DP bluetooth audio streaming. I like the Kenwood eXcelon kdc-x996 but I'm going to wait til after the first of the year to see if they release a newer model.

·
Registered
8,534 Posts
I've tangled with LotusF1 on many a thread, but I agree 100% on this topic.

Sorry, but this is a car. It's not a 'purists driving machine'. I can understand if it's a dedicated track only car, but adding a few pounds for good sound isn't earth shattering. If you add 8 pounds, then loose 8 pounds on your person.

I drive my car a lot (15K mi per year NOT including the 5 months it is winter stored). I'm often in my car for long periods of time - for example, 2-3 hour trips when I travel on sales meetings. I NEED music. Also, when I'm driving at 6:45am and stuck in traffic, I NEED coffee.

I didn't spend a ton, but I put in nice components:

- Kenwood DNX Double Din head unit with Nav (custom install).
- Focal 4" up front, JL Evolution 6.5" rears
- Alpine PDX5 Amp
- Rear Camera (I have 3 little kids - I want to see behind me)
- JL Stealthbox

The key is that I paid a stereo shop two hours of labor to custom tune it. Honestly, it's THE best sounding car stereo I've ever had. And that's in a car with SOOO much going against it acoustically.

Before I did the double din, I had a Kenwood AVX77 'El Kameleon' - it's an AWESOME head unit. TJ bought it off me and put it in his wife's car so I'm sure he can comment on it more, but I loved the unit.

The biggest issue to look at on the reviews (Crutchfield, Amazon) is iPod interface lag time. With so many, the interface works, but a lag when performing a step - ie. advancing to another song, etc. This gets REALLY annoying.

·
Registered
8,534 Posts
Also, check out the Sony with 'Tune Tray' - don't know the model number. I put this in my Mini Moke. Very inexpensive, but great design. The ipod goes 'inside' the head unit so no extended wires or taking up space in your tray. Very ingenious design. Again, combine this with some 4" focals up front and you're crackin' to go!

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
I'll weigh in - I did an install with JL's 5.25 front and rear, a new Kenwood 995 (for the 4v preouts) and a RF pbr 300 (tiny thing). This is my second install in a lotus after having done one in my 05 elise.

Even with 75*4 driving the JL's, there is sorely missing bass. For instance, I put on LCD soundsystem's music and the whole pre 60hz beat is missing. I will probably add a 300.1 and a sub enclosure for the back before long. What happens is that I tend to listen to it loud due to the lack of bass response, and thr JL's are very bright against the windscreen. It can give you a headache before too long. Def. needs more low to mid bass.

·
Premium Member
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I went and talked with the guys at the local high-end car audio shop and they came up with this receiver as the answer to my needs. Looks pretty good and I have always really liked Pioneer receivers.

Thanks for all the input!

Yeah, I know that a stereo receiver adds weight but I daily drive my Elise and don't daily track it. I think it'll all work out fine. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
hmm... watch your vents with that, if it rakes back it may hit. I also personally only put dollars I wouldn't mind losing into a HU in a convertible, that's big bucks!

·
Registered
5,418 Posts
You have to get that Stealthbox...put that badboy in the foot-well corner and pow. I can't ever see getting good deep full sound without one. I had subs in the back and it was terrible, rattled and tinny in comparison. Some of my most enjoyable rides have been with a great song on a great road top down. It's a great feeling and was worth the extra effort to get the stereo up to pare.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Recommend the Focal Activebus 10" sub. Easy to remove for track days (one plug), built in amp, great sound.

Had one in both Elise's behind the drivers seat matched with focal front speakers.

Not the same as large amps and subs like I have had in most previous cars, but great sound for the size :)

Cheers
Ben

·
Registered
6,226 Posts
Recommend the Focal Activebus 10" sub. Easy to remove for track days (one plug), built in amp, great sound.

Had one in both Elise's behind the drivers seat matched with focal front speakers.

Not the same as large amps and subs like I have had in most previous cars, but great sound for the size :)

Cheers
Ben
I have the same setup, the bass is A OK for a small car.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts